Home Improvement

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Find a Habitat for humanity resell store form their website. Few months back I purchased 23 boxes of various large tiles and 12 boxes of border/base tiles for $200.
Some things in there are not much cheaper than just getting on sale someplace but sometimes I make out like a bandit from mine.
Last year ours had some contractor bring in 18 granite 72 inch vanity tops with under the top mounted sinks and nice faucets. Probably came out of a top hotel or something. They were pristine!
I bought 3 and cut them down and put them in my parents house. Total cost? 75 bucks.
There is one 10 minutes from my house and I was there the other week. Didn't have a good tile selection, but they did have some good outside lighting elements I needed.

Oldbased

> Than U
Ya that is the thing I almost edited in after posting.
I've been to mine one day and have nothing/crap then come back 2 days later and they had 3 side by side whirlpool fridges @200 each( Still got my black one I bought over a year ago! ).
Sort of like those granite tops I got 3 of, the rest were gone in under 2 days.

You have to check them at least weekly, usually for mine on Monday or Tuesday.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Mine has a great selection of doors and windows. Sometimes you can find some really good, and nice, solid wood doors.

Kemp175

Trakanon Raider
Thanks for mentioning HFH, never would of thought to look for something like that. Though they had nothing I needed, I was happy to find a place like that.

Oldbased

> Than U
Ya really you need to check it every week or two. One day they may have 100's of boxes of undamaged tile, the next week that is all gone and they have windows and doors( mine has about 40 stained glass thermopane inserts right now) then that will be gone.
Basically anytime you are doing a remodel or want to change something, check there first. Mine and the one in Nashville is about half junk and half useful at any given time.
Ours is really good about having used kitchen cabinets which I toss into people's garages for work areas a lot as well.

The money they make off those sales goes to building houses/projects for people in need as well as a bonus.

I am not a cheap man but I sure do love good stuff cheap.
I stop by consignment places sometimes also. Few months back I got a pair of Lucky Brand jeans for $7 with the tag still on it. Those cost around $100 a pop and the most comfortable jeans I've ever worn.

MsBehavn_sl

has an outie
Random thought, but whatever, I'm jealous of everyone who -owns- a home. :/ I live in the middle of no where in GA so rent is SUPER cheap(compared to the rest of the country, NYC for example I have no idea how the residents get by).

So... for what it's worth, +1 to everyone with a house. <3

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Unrelated tangent: who has it worse in Georgia, trannies or black people?

If rent is super cheap, that probably means houses are cheap. Why not buy before interest rates start going back up?

MsBehavn_sl

has an outie
In my current financial situation buying a house would be pretty stupid.

From what I've heard people say and experienced... I think Mexicans have it worse to be honest. Even if 99/100 Mexicans I have met have been stupidly hard working.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
You need to do like every other female does... Find yourself a sugar daddy and then buy a house.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Holy shit, I'm going to begin repair my lawn. This is my first spring in my house and the previous owner took shit care of his lawn. So I started thatching my lawn yesterday and fuck that shit is hard work. There was almost a solid layer of dead grass in there.

Now I have to finish the front lawn, toss in some seed and starter fertilizer. Then I have to start hand thatching my backyard which will be backbreaking.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Holy shit, I'm going to begin repair my lawn. This is my first spring in my house and the previous owner took shit care of his lawn. So I started thatching my lawn yesterday and fuck that shit is hard work. There was almost a solid layer of dead grass in there.

Now I have to finish the front lawn, toss in some seed and starter fertilizer. Then I have to start hand thatching my backyard which will be backbreaking.
If it hasn't been done for a while, I'd aerate your lawn, too. It makes a heck of a difference.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah I'm curious to see how my lawn is going to come in this Spring... I probably wont do anything other than crabgrass and scheduled fertilizer treatments depending on how bad it gets.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I'm curious to see how my lawn is going to come in this Spring... I probably wont do anything other than crabgrass and scheduled fertilizer treatments depending on how bad it gets.
Be happy if that's the worst of your problems. I used to hate crabgrass too, until I got this place, and now 6 foot high thistles are my problem and I WISH I could be bothered by fucking crabgrass.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I tend to fertilize the grass regularly, and with the predictable things for the season. I have an irrigation system that I run briefly every morning, and things stay good and green. I'm on year five in my house, and the inside is nearly done, so it is time for me to start focusing on the outside more. I need to do a lot of repair to the irrigation system, get the flower beds whipped into shape. I've been strategically planting perennials all five years, so it isn't the plants at this point, but the edging, shapes, and general hardscape of my lawn. It's amazing how expensive all that stuff is. I want to do some terracing in my back yard, and build an out-door kitchen just off my deck. I need a pizza oven out there.
smile.png

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Deck finally finished. Just in time for the first actual Spring weekend without tornadoes, hail, or travel for me. Now just need to find a grill and finish up some furniture. Pretty excited and like the way it turned out. We made a few changes from the original one that was torn down. Mostly just expanding the transition to the Master balcony and raising the main deck to be flush. Previously there was a step up to the master deck. We also increased the size of the landing and moved the gate up from the bottom to the 1st level. The guest bedroom deck, above the master, was also increased to match the size and shape of the master so that in the future we may screen it in to have a sun room off the master, not sure. Going to wait a couple of months and stain it, struggling to come up with a color though. Resizing these really screwed with the quality... and it hates the rotation of the 1st pic, hmm

Relating to lawns, I really have no idea what type of schedule to set on my sprinkler system. All the zones are set up and working, but haven't ever read a thing about how often, what time, etc...

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
They say best time is in the morning. Not good at night because it could cause mold.

Actually I stopped watering my lawn the last couple of years. Its a fucking colossal waste of money and resources to have your lawn be kept green. If its really dry, we will do it but other than that I say fuck it. I don't even mess with programing the thing anymore. I just turn it on zone by zone when I feel it really needs it.

Fuck that, people are dying of thirst and here I am watering my fucking lawn to make it pretty to compete with my next door neighbor? Fuck you.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
You can also get a thatching blade for your lawnmower. I know its not the same, but it does a good job. I did this in early spring for 3 yrs in my new house, and after the thatching I overseed with new grass, and now its like a new lawn.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
our house was a foreclosure before we bought it, it had sat empty for a year or two before we got in there, and the yard was a total wreck.

If your yard is really bad, like 50% weeds/crabgrass or more, I'd highly recommend just dealing with weeds the first year. If you try to grow grass in the middle of all those weeds, and trying to kill those weeds, you're going to waste a lot of money on grass seed and fertilizer and watering. The conditions will be too harsh for most types of grass to really grow well if you're spraying for weeds really often. And if you have that many weeds, you need to be spraying like once or twice a month probably, which won't leave you any decent window for growing grass. And if you go easy on the weeds so that you can get grass growing, you aren't going to stop the weeds, they'll just be back next year, and the year after, and the year after. Basically nuke those things this year while you don't have to worry about harming your nice grass, and start over from scratch next year growing some nice grass, or installing sod.

Focus on getting the weeds eradicated the first year, then you can really get some nice grass going the next year with minimal weed control needed.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Fuck that, people are dying of thirst and here I am watering my fucking lawn to make it pretty to compete with my next door neighbor? Fuck you.
This is the philosophy I use too. There's absolutely no reason to water your lawn every day like it seems like 90% of people do. It's unbelievable the amount of waste that generates. I've gotta walk my dog in the street in the summer because literally 3/4 of the yards adjacent to the sidewalk have sprinklers going every single morning.