Home Improvement

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Fucker

Log Wizard
Sorry for the confusion but what would that solve? Plus wouldn’t pressure washing just possibly damage the wood I’m trying to fix (gouges etc)
You own a Pista, yet you are always seeking to halfass everything.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The sooner the better obviously between stripping/power washing and painting but having bare wood for a couple of weeks isn't going to do any significant damage.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
The sooner the better obviously between stripping/power washing and painting but having bare wood for a couple of weeks isn't going to do any significant damage.
Yeah.. Sounds like it’s better to just hire this out. Bummer because I always prefer to do the work myself.. Thanks.

Brad2770

I have an old machine shop shipping crate/box that was from the company my great grandmother worked at. I use it as a TV stand. I bought a steel coffee table with a wooden top with the intentions of matching the top to the box and I also want to build some shelves to match as well. Anyways, I’m trying to find these two bits of hardware to match or something close enough that I can grind down to match. Any help?

678898BF-DDAF-4F3E-A728-19710FA0C05F.png

lurker

Vyemm Raider
I have an old machine shop shipping crate/box that was from the company my great grandmother worked at. I use it as a TV stand. I bought a steel coffee table with a wooden top with the intentions of matching the top to the box and I also want to build some shelves to match as well. Anyways, I’m trying to find these two bits of hardware to match or something close enough that I can grind down to match. Any help?

View attachment 391871
This is close. Like you say, a little work with a grinder or file and you might get there

LINK

G37B__15784.1557775097-M.jpg

Search for "Trunk Hardware" for other choices.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Going to learn Tig welding, I hear everlast is really good for the price point. Looking at this one. Thoughts?
60BE62CE-245C-4EEB-946C-36720E9ECF45.jpeg

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
  • 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Don't have much to contribute except that I'm jealous. I really want to learn to tig weld but I already have mig and stick welders and don't have enough work to justify another machine.

The best welding channel on YouTube is https://youtube.com/c/weldingtipsandtricks
Not for work right now, hobby thing. There is a fuck ton of stuff I want to make though. From grating to ramps to a hydraulic or wench powered dump cart. Eventually get smooth enough to do piping.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Getting a new Electrical Panel installed tomorrow and as an added bonus I am getting a generator installed that automatically kicks on when the power goes out. I have lost power in this house more over the last 8 years than I had in the all the places I had ever lived prior combined. Lots of wind and lots of fucking trees. IIRC it is a 14kw gen so it will keep the AC or the Furnace going as well as the fridges/freezer chests.

Also, found a guy to help me with all my home networking. Since I will have my basement ceiling opened up I will be running two lines of Cat6 to each bedroom as well as the main floor living and the basement family room. I sent my list of items for the dude to approve Media Cabinet, 24 Port POE Switch, Patch Panel etc.

Has been and will continue to be a stressful week until everything is moved to storage and my office gets relocated for the short term. As of Sunday I will be on cruise control because I have a great contractor that did an awesome job on my kitchen so I totally trust him. Can't wait! Will keep try to keep you all posted with pics etc.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
Christ, the fun of living in the mountains never ends. We got our water shut off today by the water company do to a huge leak that we can't find any evidence of. But we did narrow it down to being in the 50 ft main line between the meter and the house. Under the asphalt driveway. Got a plumber coming out tomorrow to hopefully find the path of the pipe, but once we do that, anyone have any tips on getting it repaired or replaced? I've never had to deal with anything like this before and hoping to not get ripped off. Just let the plumber's company handle it? Call a different contractor? DIY?

• 4Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 3 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
LOL get ready for like $15K-$20K if its under your driveway, or even more. It requires a backhoe and lots of labor. Then more cash after to get driveway section replaced. My neighbor across the street had a sewer line break (between house and main), in the back yard and that's about the cost they paid to have it fixed.

If they could actually pinpoint where exactly the leak is and it was accessible by hand digging, well you could try it yourself, probably no more than splicing some pipes together. But who the fuck knows what can of worms youre actually opening up. Like how old the shit is and what its made out of. And I think its actually difficult to pinpoint the problem to any accuracy. Maybe plumbers have a way to snake a camera in the pipe and locate it? Like how far the break is from house?

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Christ, the fun of living in the mountains never ends. We got our water shut off today by the water company do to a huge leak that we can't find any evidence of. But we did narrow it down to being in the 50 ft main line between the meter and the house. Under the asphalt driveway. Got a plumber coming out tomorrow to hopefully find the path of the pipe, but once we do that, anyone have any tips on getting it repaired or replaced? I've never had to deal with anything like this before and hoping to not get ripped off. Just let the plumber's company handle it? Call a different contractor? DIY?

In Texas (or at Least Houston) anything from the main line to the house - which would be what you are describing - is the responsibility of the town, not the home owner.

• 2Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
In Texas (or at Least Houston) anything from the main line to the house - which would be what you are describing - is the responsibility of the town, not the home owner.
I wish...this happened to me 4-5 years ago(houston). As soon as it hits your driveway it is your problem. Had it bust out by the sidewalk and the city fixed that.

• 1Like

Goatface

my town, sewer is your responsible to the property line, water your responsible starts at the meter, our meter (in ground) is 2' off property. we are on a more rural street. there is about 12' of gravel between property line and road. in town, houses with sidewalks have the water meter right next to the house.

-

hard to give advice, but one guy i know had a leak under his driveway, but caught it early. we were able to run a new water line around his driveway cheaper than digging it up. we are rural, town doesn't inspect or require permits.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Plumbing company quoted me 2500$ to replace the main line from the tap to my house.

• 1Like
  • 1Clown World

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, where I live there is an easment that the city owns, prob like 6-8 ft from the street, plus the side walk. The rest is up to you.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Dodged the bullet.

Looks like the main was full of junk, a new tap and letting it run full out where it entered the house cleared it up.

For 100 year old steel, it looked really good.

But that's because it's 100 year old steel.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users