Home Improvement

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Where’s the titty pics?
1642178787001.png

1642178812594.png

The Generator will arrive next week and there will be extra smaller panel to the left for all the circuits that will be powered by it.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Speaking of. Looking at having a transfer switch put in to be used in conjunction with this guy in case of florida hurricane. Erronius Erronius or anyone know if there’s better brand switches or anything specific I should look for?

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Nice. Doing a whole home generator?
It is a 14kw. So it will handle all our basic needs. Furnace, AC, Fridges & Freezers. We should be able to watcha movie charge phones maybe a little gaming depending on circumstances.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Speaking of. Looking at having a transfer switch put in to be used in conjunction with this guy in case of florida hurricane. Erronius Erronius or anyone know if there’s better brand switches or anything specific I should look for?

no idea, sorry

Fucker

Log Wizard

Why not have Miguel put it in?

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
Thanks everybody for the advice. We got two quotes one for $7000 for replacing the entire line with copper pipe and one for 3500 for PEX pipe which I’m not sure is a great idea because it does snow here and gets cold in the winter and Ive read that the PEX doesn’t handle cold or pressure very well. So the plan now is to borrow some money and either get the cheaper guy to run PVC or rent a trench digger and dig a 3 foot deep trench around the driveway so that we don’t have to rebuild it and then run some PVC schedule 40 and hire plumbers just to connect the ends to the meter and our existing steel service line

• 1Like

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Thanks everybody for the advice. We got two quotes one for $7000 for replacing the entire line with copper pipe and one for 3500 for PEX pipe which I’m not sure is a great idea because it does snow here and gets cold in the winter and Ive read that the PEX doesn’t handle cold or pressure very well. So the plan now is to borrow some money and either get the cheaper guy to run PVC or rent a trench digger and dig a 3 foot deep trench around the driveway so that we don’t have to rebuild it and then run some PVC schedule 40 and hire plumbers just to connect the ends to the meter and our existing steel service line
Pex and poly handle freeze much better than copper or PVC. I don't know where you read that PEX doesn't handle cold, but PEX and poly will expand when water freezes within it and actually is less conductive than copper so less likely to freeze in the first place. In Idaho, the run from the meter to my house is 1.25" poly, the house is PEX and the irrigation outside is 1" poly.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Goatface

there might be other better tests out there, this one is 4 years old and for what i remember the 1st big test i watched

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Pex and poly handle freeze much better than copper or PVC. I don't know where you read that PEX doesn't handle cold, but PEX and poly will expand when water freezes within it and actually is less conductive than copper so less likely to freeze in the first place. In Idaho, the run from the meter to my house is 1.25" poly, the house is PEX and the irrigation outside is 1" poly.

I was wondering the same thing. Copper doesn't handle cold well at all. I think the only person who would tell you copper is better for cold is a plumber who wants you to pay double for them to run copper.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
there might be other better tests out there, this one is 4 years old and for what i remember the 1st big test i watched
Thats crazy! Granted, we aren't dealing with a hose fitting like that, but still, great info!

I was wondering the same thing. Copper doesn't handle cold well at all. I think the only person who would tell you copper is better for cold is a plumber who wants you to pay double for them to run copper.

Yeah, thats the feeling we get from this guy. Flashy truck, talks a mile a minute and mansplains everything we ask about. I'll pass.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Lumber prices are headed back up. Just noticed as I'm not buying everyday. Of course I googled it when I noticed and the first response was "because of climate change"

• 1Tiresome

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Installed some vinyl plank flooring for a friend today. I had never worked with that stuff, it's super easy and nice to work with. Easy to cut, lays down fast. I did almost 800 square feet in a short day.

Now, all that said, I think it is ugly. Doesn't look amazing, but there are certainly places for it. This was in a basement in a room full of exercise equipment. It doesn't have to be cozy. And the basement has flooded twice. We're pretty sure that's fixed now, but no sense putting carpet back in until you're sure, and this guy found the stuff at a Habitat Re-Store. Super cheap, looks better than bare concrete, done in a day.

I've done other click-install, floating floors, but never vinyl. Others have thoughts on it?

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My whole upstairs is vinyl plank. I love it. Dogs can't do shit to it, don't worry if I spill water on it, fairly easy to install. What's not to like?

• 1Solidarity