Home Improvement

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
if it's your masterbath, usually the opposite wall of the showerhead is a closet and you can install one of these
2ab2fce38e9dbc840d0e79be7974f7fa.png

i see them in all the closets when i house hunt and i open it up to make sure there are no leaks, and if it's on the opposite side of a closet wall, it's not gaudy and clothes will cover it up anyway.

oh Erronius Erronius , i think i have a lead on why all 50amp breakers were soldout in my area, i guess electrical code is amended in tn and whole house surge is required now.

any thoughts?
61f23b3d6ff842c1ea7122e539fff156.png

i'll probably put in that guy, that would use up all my available slots heh

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've noticed a tiny drip of water coming through the ceiling of the basement after using the master bath shower, which is above it. However, I don't think there are any pipes directly above it where it would be coming from. The basement ceiling is unfinished, so I can see the water pipes and shower drain pipe running between the joists, and they're both about 2 feet to the left of where the water is coming through. The water pipes and shower drain run in the opposite direction of the drip and connect up to the main water line, all of which I can see.

Best I can tell, directly above the water drip is maybe the edge of the shower. Could it be an issue of the shower flooring or tile being slightly cracked? Maybe a tiny hole in the caulking? I did a quick look at the floor of the shower and didn't see any place obvious where water could be getting through.

Might there be a water pipe up between the basement ceiling and 1st story floor that it could be dripping from? I don't see why a pipe would be running that way, since there's nothing water-related towards that part of the house and I can see where everything connects up to the main water line and goes outside.

View attachment 438529
It could be anything. I had a similar issue and ended up cutting a hole in my ceiling to uncover it after it continued to happen after I re-caulked my entire shower.

I ended up taking my shower valve cover off the wall and that was the issue, just a tiny drip leak in the valve that was running all the way down the pipe and into the ceiling below.

I put a new washer in after taking this picture and it still didn't fix it; I had to replace the entire unit.

1666206663275.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
literally half my full harvest and i'm just using it as decoration

kicker, i didn't even plant this, it somehow grew from the ashes of the previous owner
1020221218_HDR.jpg

(the color looks nice)

• 1Like

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
It could be anything. I had a similar issue and ended up cutting a hole in my ceiling to uncover it after it continued to happen after I re-caulked my entire shower.

I ended up taking my shower valve cover off the wall and that was the issue, just a tiny drip leak in the valve that was running all the way down the pipe and into the ceiling below.

I put a new washer in after taking this picture and it still didn't fix it; I had to replace the entire unit.

View attachment 438878
I did some spot watering last night to find it, and it seems like I did. Looks like there was one tile that was slightly popping out, leaving a tiny gap for water to get through. This was at the opposite end of the shower from where the water was coming through the ceiling. Seems like it was getting under the shower there, running under the shower floor to the far end, then getting through another tiny gap in the caulk (between the edge of the shower floor and the bathroom floor) and coming out the side of the shower. The floors in the bathroom are wood, so it was dripping straight down from there into the basement.

Attachments

• leak.png
    leak.png
    202.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
IMG_20221021_144343785_HDR.jpg

Well, this is the most ambitious project I've ever attempted. I'd totally love to do this...to someone else's goddamned house. Holy shit this is stressful.

Anyway, got the house sheathing back on, fucking window is a nut hair too small for fitting an extra 2x4 in the hole after we took all the rot out. Looks like the old wood frame was where most of the rot occured. Managed to get everything back in there tonight, so now I've only got a 2 inch hole in my wall instead of a 10 foot hole.

I guess tomorrow we're gonna see if we can make a window waterproof. Hell, can't be worse than the dipshits who put it in.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
View attachment 439238

Well, this is the most ambitious project I've ever attempted. I'd totally love to do this...to someone else's goddamned house. Holy shit this is stressful.

Anyway, got the house sheathing back on, fucking window is a nut hair too small for fitting an extra 2x4 in the hole after we took all the rot out. Looks like the old wood frame was where most of the rot occured. Managed to get everything back in there tonight, so now I've only got a 2 inch hole in my wall instead of a 10 foot hole.

I guess tomorrow we're gonna see if we can make a window waterproof. Hell, can't be worse than the dipshits who put it in.

patriotic-ron-swanson.gif

• 1Like

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
I just realized I don't actually have to stress too much. I've got no sheetrock right now. All I need to do is finish the exterior of the house and wait till it rains. If it leaks, I'll know with the first raindrop.

Now I just hope I remember how the fuck all this shit goes back in. I labeled most of the pieces, some of the shit we had to destroy during demo (fucking quarter round with super tiny finishing nails must be meant to be destroyed).

Fucking crazy to me that I can't seem to get any contractor to even return my calls, but I guess I am the contractor now!

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
it sounds pretty dreary

I didn't even think about that, but yeah, that's probably the case. We can't get people at work, why the fuck would anywhere else have people coming into work every day?

If that's gonna be the case, I think we all need to brush up on our DIY, because you ain't gonna be able to pay enough for anyone to do anything. I know I can't.

I had one "handyman" guy say he could do it last week, but he told me on Monday "next week" and I thought "well, I can't play that fucking game with winter coming," so here we are.

Today I just gotta figure out how to get the outside buttoned back up and I should be good.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I didn't even think about that, but yeah, that's probably the case. We can't get people at work, why the fuck would anywhere else have people coming into work every day?

If that's gonna be the case, I think we all need to brush up on our DIY, because you ain't gonna be able to pay enough for anyone to do anything. I know I can't.

I had one "handyman" guy say he could do it last week, but he told me on Monday "next week" and I thought "well, I can't play that fucking game with winter coming," so here we are.

Today I just gotta figure out how to get the outside buttoned back up and I should be good.
I went through that BS trying to get new kitchen cabinets. Guy was late getting the quote to me, then he told me he doesn't: remove and dispose of old cabinets, paint new cabinets, install new cabinets, do counter tops. He didn't have reqs for any of those, so I'd have to find people to do all that myself. He was one of the largest cabinet companies in the state, btw.

I went to a flooring company. Most popular in the city. I was in there for 30 minutes. 5-6 women employees just kinda staring off into space. No one asked me if I needed help or wanted to FUCKING GIVE THEM MONEY. I asked one of them if they knew any carpenters who did flooring, and she looked at me like I was speaking Latin.

I was thinking about building a house in that state, but skipped because I knew it would take 2-3 years of me chasing people down to get them to do their fucking jobs. None of these companies will survive the coming economic downturn.

I used to live in Idaho. Mormons everywhere, and a lot of them in the trades. GC was mormon. Had him handle interior reno and he set the whole thing up no sweat. Everything went smooth, fast and done well the first try. I sold that place, and realtor was mormon. He set up everything himself or could get me people at the drop of a hat. Cleaning services were all booked up, but he knew people and got it done. Same with plumber and yard crew. Realtor in NE is as fucking lazy as the rest of the fucking people in NE are. She didn't have many contacts for various things a realtor's client might need like EVERYTHING. She did have a lawn guy, but the number she gave me was to a paint guy. I jumped in her shit and stayed there until I put the fear of god into her, and that's when she decided to get off her daisy fucking ass.

All these lazy people are going to get completely wrecked as this economic downturn worsens, and I will absolutely delight in schadenfreude over their self inflicted problems.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I haven’t had any real difficulty in CA, but have also gone mostly with references from friends.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
IMG_20221023_091306829_HDR.jpg

Man, what a fucking project. Should be able to finish it up today though.

Also, pretty sure I know why everything sucked on this side of the house. I'm pretty sure when you replace wood frame windows with vinyl, you're not just supposed to take the glass out and fit the new fucking window in the 40 year old wooden frame where you just knocked out the dividers and bent the fucking nails up. This explains so much why this wall was always fucking freezing, and why I had water coming in for years.

Hopefully not anymore.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You should try being 50 miles from town and 10 miles from the paved road. Contractors either straight up tell you no, don't return your calls, or quote you a ridiculous price that they know you won't pay. Thank god for YouTube so I can figure out how to do shit myself.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Steel siding is a fucking whore. Half inch off just going 3 panels up. Having some serious issues getting them to connect. Figured I was on the home stretch, but might be doing this all evening all week!

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Almost got it done before the rain came in. Last panel was going up. Saved myself about $1200, and had a reason to buy a circular saw finally.

Still need to sheetrock the inside, but that can wait till next weekend.

Man, what a fucking project. Every time I do something like this, I wonder why anyone pays professionals for anything. All they do is the halfass bare minimum for shit. I cleared out enough old window frame for an extra 2x4 on each side of that window. The stud on the left side of the window isn't even fucking close to vertical (which is fine, a new one needed to go in anyway), and one of my buddies tells me before he left "Make sure you get 5/8th's drywall, because that's an exterior wall and you don't use half inch." Well, bad news for me...it's half inch drywall this whole fucking wall.

I might as well just start my own construction company, fucking up other people's shit is way less stress than fucking up your own!

• 4Like
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 4 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Almost got it done before the rain came in. Last panel was going up. Saved myself about $1200, and had a reason to buy a circular saw finally.

Still need to sheetrock the inside, but that can wait till next weekend.

Man, what a fucking project. Every time I do something like this, I wonder why anyone pays professionals for anything. All they do is the halfass bare minimum for shit. I cleared out enough old window frame for an extra 2x4 on each side of that window. The stud on the left side of the window isn't even fucking close to vertical (which is fine, a new one needed to go in anyway), and one of my buddies tells me before he left "Make sure you get 5/8th's drywall, because that's an exterior wall and you don't use half inch." Well, bad news for me...it's half inch drywall this whole fucking wall.

I might as well just start my own construction company, fucking up other people's shit is way less stress than fucking up your own!
Most people I know couldnt even attempt to do shit like that. They wouldnt even know where to start, much less have the willpower to. Then, you have some people.. like myself.. that could do a great job. But I/they just dont "want" to do it, or I/they just dont have time for it. Landscaping type of shit is easy as piss - but fuck I do not want the body aches etc. that go along with doing that type of job once in a blue moon.

As far as professionals - You have the people that pay bottom dollar "professionals" to come in and do the same quality work that you or I could do (hell, we probably do it better more often than them). Then you have the real professionals that dont bottom dollar themselves, that have that shit done in an hour with perfect fit and finish. Its all in what you're looking for and the guys that are good at this stuff know their worth.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Most people I know couldnt even attempt to do shit like that. They wouldnt even know where to start, much less have the willpower to. Then, you have some people.. like myself.. that could do a great job. But I/they just dont "want" to do it, or I/they just dont have time for it. Landscaping type of shit is easy as piss - but fuck I do not want the body aches etc. that go along with doing that type of job once in a blue moon.

As far as professionals - You have the people that pay bottom dollar "professionals" to come in and do the same quality work that you or I could do (hell, we probably do it better more often than them). Then you have the real professionals that dont bottom dollar themselves, that have that shit done in an hour with perfect fit and finish. Its all in what you're looking for and the guys that are good at this stuff know their worth.

I literally didn't have a choice. I had water coming into the basement via the ceiling. I knew there was a problem somewhere but couldn't see it, and water is funny.

After stripping off the siding it was obvious where the problem was, and I knew I was in over my head. I've never done windows, don't even know where to start. But I called literally 20 fucking contractors and companies and got no contact from 18 of them. One came out and looked at it and I never heard from them again. One "handyman" dude said he could, but was in the middle of a basement remodel.

So, fuck it. Got no choice. I was stressed all fucking weekend working sunup to an hour past sundown. It was pretty bad. We fucked up and redid a lot, so that's what took so long (fuck siding).

But, the shit is done, and I'm pretty sure it's done right. I will leave the sheetrock off the back for a week or so and make sure I don't see water.

The problem with those guys who are good is they are backlogged out months. I ain't got months. I got rot to deal with NOW.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users