Home Improvement

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Well ceiling is done, can lights are in. The night light feature looks fucking amazing and I can't wait to try it out tonight, then finish the walls. Work work.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have 3 tractors and a skid steer. I wish I could drive them all at once ;)
Should have spent more time multiboxing!
1693760674971.png

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Ok doorknob installed
IMG_6787.jpeg

Didn’t go as smooth as I liked but it worked.

Got a cheap stencil bracket from Harbor Freight: only needed to do this once.

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Got a cheap stencil bracket from Harbor Freight: only needed to do this once.
say that again on your third door...
had to do it for my garage door into my kitchen, there was no deadbolt there!

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Quite frankly, this is for my grandmas house and she’s 90 going on 91, the house isn’t going to be handed down either: her kids are selling it off when it’s all said and done.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Bro I literally said that out loud last night lol. I bought the kit *thinking* I would use it once but I didn't want to half-ass it and I cannot count the number of times It's saved my ass.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
Curious if anyone has seen this before.

My shower has been randomly dripping from the little nozzle on the bottom of the head when a lot of hot water was running, like both kids running their showers at the same time. Yesterday, it started to drip out of that one little nozzle continuously. I replaced the cartridge today and the new one was worse. It dripped constantly from the bottom two rows of nozzles and the valve was hissing even in the off position. I decided to clean up the old cartridge and put it back so I could start from square one. While cleaning the old cartridge and making the inner springs just a little taller (in case they were too compresed), I began to hear a regular drip coming from the valve every 15 seconds or so. I dried up the inside of the valve and watched it. It looks like there is a regular flow on the hot water side which would pool up on the bottom, then flow out. I got the old cartridge squared away and re-installed with no dripping at the moment. But, does this flow of hot water need to be investigated further? or would be because the water heater was doing 'stuff' since I ran the shower on hot moments before?

Extra info, our stand-alone bathtub in the same bathroom also has a drip but it is probably a couple of drops a day. I would possibly have to replace the whole stand-alone fill since I can't get a cartridge for it. At least not that I can find.

1693943502505.png

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm

My shower has been randomly dripping from the little nozzle on the bottom of the head when a lot of hot water was running, like both kids running their showers at the same time. Yesterday, it started to drip out of that one little nozzle continuously. I replaced the cartridge today and the new one was worse. It dripped constantly from the bottom two rows of nozzles and the valve was hissing even in the off position. I decided to clean up the old cartridge and put it back so I could start from square one. While cleaning the old cartridge and making the inner springs just a little taller (in case they were too compresed), I began to hear a regular drip coming from the valve every 15 seconds or so. I dried up the inside of the valve and watched it. It looks like there is a regular flow on the hot water side which would pool up on the bottom, then flow out. I got the old cartridge squared away and re-installed with no dripping at the moment. But, does this flow of hot water need to be investigated further? or would be because the water heater was doing 'stuff' since I ran the shower on hot moments before?

Extra info, our stand-alone bathtub in the same bathroom also has a drip but it is probably a couple of drops a day. I would possibly have to replace the whole stand-alone fill since I can't get a cartridge for it. At least not that I can find.

View attachment 489497
Did you cut into the fiberglass of the bath/shower to get to that? I cant tell what that exterior material is, but that looks like wood behind it - so Im lost on how you were ever supposed to get to that without doing what you did in the first place.

As far as the fitting and all that - bro, I know times are getting "tough" for some people right now - but getting a whole new kit costs less than the time you're putting into fixing this. I know thats probably not what you want to hear, but Im just trying to come from it logically.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Did you cut into the fiberglass of the bath/shower to get to that? I cant tell what that exterior material is, but that looks like wood behind it - so Im lost on how you were ever supposed to get to that without doing what you did in the first place.

As far as the fitting and all that - bro, I know times are getting "tough" for some people right now - but getting a whole new kit costs less than the time you're putting into fixing this. I know thats probably not what you want to hear, but Im just trying to come from it logically.
Uh no that's just with the escutcheon removed

• 1Like

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>

Basically what Palum said. That’s what it looks like with the shower handle and back plate removed. It took a whole 60 seconds to get that far.

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
How old is the fixture? If it's leaking inside the wall you really want to replace the whole fixture.
I’ve lived here 8 years but I do know the previous owner remodeled at some point. So between 8-16 years. I don’t suspect it’s leaking. It just seems that the hot water pipe has water flow from the hot water heater when I wouldn’t expect it. With the water off those two holes shouldn’t have water flow, but the hot water side was trickling water into what would be the cartridge. Normally the cartridge would prevent the flow from going to the shower head but in this case it wasn’t until I fixed the cartridge. With the cartridge fixed I left it for 3 hours and no leaks at the head or valve. I’m just curious if that water flow is actually abnormal.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I’ve lived here 8 years but I do know the previous owner remodeled at some point. So between 8-16 years. I don’t suspect it’s leaking. It just seems that the hot water pipe has water flow from the hot water heater when I wouldn’t expect it. With the water off those two holes shouldn’t have water flow, but the hot water side was trickling water into what would be the cartridge. Normally the cartridge would prevent the flow from going to the shower head but in this case it wasn’t until I fixed the cartridge. With the cartridge fixed I left it for 3 hours and no leaks at the head or valve. I’m just curious if that water flow is actually abnormal.
Well I'm not sure exactly what you mean to get at but generally that line should be pressurized with water all the time, so finding air there is the abnormal thing. So to me if it is fresh water and not just dripping from other fixtures backflow, then there is a small leak through the hot water cut off valve. If it's a dumb screw valve that probably means washer or seat. Ball valve might just be leaky.

You have to really look at plumbing layout though. Like if that shower with the mixer out is the lowest point on the hot water line that's open to air at that point, and the valve seat isn't 100%, that line is holding ambient pressure up to that fixture, then the pressurized water escaping the cut off a drop at a time is pushing it out.

As long as water isn't escaping the fixtures (or in the walls), it seems kinda pointless to worry about? At least until you need to solder or unsolder copper and that constant drip keeps cooling it...

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Yeahs73

Trakanon Raider

View attachment 489497

You shut your well/water meter off. Which does stop all water but being that the water heater was most likely recovering from using hot water, it was heating the tank and the water was expanding thus water was coming out of the hot side of the valve body. Get some plumbers grease and apply it to the areas where the cartridge seats into the valve.

• 1Like

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>

View attachment 489497
Hot water expands as it is heated. Completely normal to shut off your main cold water valve and then have hot water drip out at whatever fixture you are replacing. As for your issue, sounds like the diverter is going, could be sand stuck in between or a bad washer. I'm assuming thats a moen shower valve? Looks typical. Just make sure the valve is clean, washers are seated, and the cartridge is returned to the correct position when re-installed.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I've got a weird one. One of my irrigation systems has one zone that isn't performing. It's for my yard, and the other 9 zones function fine, but the one has a block or something, so the sprinkler heads don't pop fully up, and have about 25% of the amount of water that should be coming out. I know sprinkler systems aren't hard, but does anyone have an idiot proof way of diagnosing this to find out where the blockage is without digging everything up? I don't want to just blast air through the line in case I just move the block, but I don't know a better way to fix it.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Hot water expands as it is heated. Completely normal to shut off your main cold water valve and then have hot water drip out at whatever fixture you are replacing. As for your issue, sounds like the diverter is going, could be sand stuck in between or a bad washer. I'm assuming thats a moen shower valve? Looks typical. Just make sure the valve is clean, washers are seated, and the cartridge is returned to the correct position when re-installed.
A note should be that unless they changed it Moen are lifetime gaurantee, so you can sometimes contact them for a warranty replacement cartridge for it. I've actually done that for my wife's shower before.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
I've got a weird one. One of my irrigation systems has one zone that isn't performing. It's for my yard, and the other 9 zones function fine, but the one has a block or something, so the sprinkler heads don't pop fully up, and have about 25% of the amount of water that should be coming out. I know sprinkler systems aren't hard, but does anyone have an idiot proof way of diagnosing this to find out where the blockage is without digging everything up? I don't want to just blast air through the line in case I just move the block, but I don't know a better way to fix it.
There’s a leak. Have you set up any tents or bouncy houses? Recently installed a lamp post or garden stakes?