Home Improvement

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
I was thinking last night about taking the grinder to them, but the problem is that they kinda float now....there's half an inch of space between the bolt head and the nut. So I "could" cut them off, but I'm assuming they're gonna flop around a lot, and there's not really a way I can think of to hold them in position so I can get a clean cut with the grinder. Can't exactly put them in a vice. So, to avoid the collateral damage to the brackets, I was thinking just hacksaw, as much as that's gonna suck ass cutting 12 bolts off. But, I also thought I could clamp a vice grip on the "nut" and see if I can torque it off after a generous amount of PB Blaster or something.

Thanks for the link on the fastener, but I really have no idea what I'm looking for. Something has clearly rotted out there, but there's exactly zero of it left. I'm guessing it was some kinda washer, but whatever it was, across 12 bolts, there's exactly zero trace of it. I legitimately have no idea how it was secured. After I get one of them off, I'll take some pictures and show you guys, it's pretty whack, and I can't believe that it was ever secured, even though I know full well it was.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I figure this is probably a better thread for this than the car one, just based upon the level of handyman bullshit shenanigans I'm planning on doing here.

So, I drive a 2004 Ram. Bought it new. 253k on it. It's.....well used. The running boards fell off. Well, not exactly fell - you can lift them off. I can't exactly tell how the fuck they were secured in the first place.

View attachment 505161

The underside looks like this. No threads, just holes.

View attachment 505162

The mounting brackets all look like this. Those are bolts with...I don't fucking know. Round nuts? I have no idea. They're all exactly like that, so it's not like they rusted out. They're perfectly circular and I have no idea how I'm gonna get them off aside from cutting them. Also, there's no hardware inside the running bars themselves...so it's not like the bolt rusted off and there's a nut rattling around in there or anything.

Anyway, everything is in fine shape except the connection hardware. The bars are fine, the brackets attached the frame are fine, it's just that I have no idea how they were secured, or how to secure them again, given that I can't exactly get a wrench inside the running bar to put a nut on or anything.

So I'm thinking - toggle bolts. I'll get the biggest size I can, thread on the toggle, cut off the bolt, throw some threadlocker on it and drop it into the hole.

You guys have any other ideas for jury rigging this? Because I think that's what I've gotta do here, considering the weirdness of this.
Pull a Tuco Tuco and just weld those bitches right to the frame. Doesn’t get more secure than that!

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I'm looking for a hinge similar to the one below, but I would like for it to be at least 90 degree if not 100. It needs to secure the same way as this one, as in the "sides" of the cabinet.

Found this one searching for "swing up cabinet hinge" but can't find a list of other options that would be similar. Not that there's anything particularly wrong with this one other than it is only 80 degrees.

1703211968892.png

whoo

<Silver Donator>
I'm looking for a hinge similar to the one below, but I would like for it to be at least 90 degree if not 100. It needs to secure the same way as this one, as in the "sides" of the cabinet.

Found this one searching for "swing up cabinet hinge" but can't find a list of other options that would be similar. Not that there's anything particularly wrong with this one other than it is only 80 degrees.

View attachment 505302

You're looking for the Blum Aventos HK series. Probably the HK-Top model. Confirm that here:

Search for "Blum Aventos HK Top" and you'll probably get a dozen online retailers.

• 1Solidarity

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
You're looking for the Blum Aventos HK series. Probably the HK-Top model. Confirm that here:

Search for "Blum Aventos HK Top" and you'll probably get a dozen online retailers.

It would be HK...

Seeing as how it is going on a shelf with a ton of HK firearm related stuff.

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Those stamped metal and spring type hinges used to be everywhere, but they are hard to find anymore. And they don't seem to make 90*+ degree versions. The blum lifts are expensive and won't be the same hole pattern, but they will work well and last a long time. They are considered a premium product in the cabinetry world.

Now that I think of it, you might be able to find some cheaper blum look alikes on Amazon. YMMV as far as quality goes though. If it's used regularly and needs to hold firmly when up or down, get the blum. If it's used a couple times a year and its function isnt critical, you can probably save 50-60% on a chinese knockoff.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
One of the younger generations of my family just took out my media rooms bottom TV (Was a 65" on top and a 65" on the bottom, wall mounted, both 4k/120hz). Its fine, its whatever, Ill give her a lump of coal this year instead of toys (not really, but ffs.) Anyways, after doing the stacked TV's with people playing different games, or watching tv while another plays a game etc. over the past few years - the novelty of it has pretty much worn off. As I learned a lot about just giving myself some fucking isolation / me time / whatever you want to call it, in that same time frame.

So Im tossing around the idea of moving the connections for my computer into a finished room that has just been storage and making that into a "study" or basically, just a room I can go to too be alone, study alone, read alone, game alone etc. The media room, Im thinking of adding an electric fire place. I have no desire to add propane or any of that other shit. It would just be nice to have the media room serve more of a fuck and chill kind of room.

The electric fire places Ive seen so far are cheap.. they are like these all in one units that you can basically buy at a big box store like Home Depot or Lowes. I'd adjust the position of the TV thats still alive and put it up above the electric fire place, since it really isnt about the heat from the fire place (though Im sure "someone" will turn it on from time to time.) But googling this stuff, I see that the price of these units goes from 5-600 bucks all the way up to like 20k. Im not spending 20k on it. No where near. But I do see some custom builds that look very good. Im just not sure what Im looking for and hoping someone else has some input with it? As the cheap ones "look" cheap, and then there are some that just look like a fucking wide screen TV with fire in it and heating elements below that screen etc. I have no idea what I want my budget to be, but I want it to be on the cheaper side as much as I can, while still looking more realistic than a Big Lots version.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
One of the younger generations of my family just took out my media rooms bottom TV (Was a 65" on top and a 65" on the bottom, wall mounted, both 4k/120hz). Its fine, its whatever, Ill give her a lump of coal this year instead of toys (not really, but ffs.) Anyways, after doing the stacked TV's with people playing different games, or watching tv while another plays a game etc. over the past few years - the novelty of it has pretty much worn off. As I learned a lot about just giving myself some fucking isolation / me time / whatever you want to call it, in that same time frame.

So Im tossing around the idea of moving the connections for my computer into a finished room that has just been storage and making that into a "study" or basically, just a room I can go to too be alone, study alone, read alone, game alone etc. The media room, Im thinking of adding an electric fire place. I have no desire to add propane or any of that other shit. It would just be nice to have the media room serve more of a fuck and chill kind of room.

The electric fire places Ive seen so far are cheap.. they are like these all in one units that you can basically buy at a big box store like Home Depot or Lowes. I'd adjust the position of the TV thats still alive and put it up above the electric fire place, since it really isnt about the heat from the fire place (though Im sure "someone" will turn it on from time to time.) But googling this stuff, I see that the price of these units goes from 5-600 bucks all the way up to like 20k. Im not spending 20k on it. No where near. But I do see some custom builds that look very good. Im just not sure what Im looking for and hoping someone else has some input with it? As the cheap ones "look" cheap, and then there are some that just look like a fucking wide screen TV with fire in it and heating elements below that screen etc. I have no idea what I want my budget to be, but I want it to be on the cheaper side as much as I can, while still looking more realistic than a Big Lots version.
I just went through this exercise, but paused my project because I need to wait until I finish some electrical work to add a dedicated circuit.

My desire is 90% aesthetic, 10% function. With that in mind I looked at units from Amazon, big box stores and the local stove and hearth shop. I think you get what you pay for but the majority of these units are all manufactured in the same place in China which means it's hard to tell the difference between high class branded units and just decent no names often. Most of the really expensive ones are wall size or made for hotel lobbies and minimalist modern homes.

The biggest issue is airflow, controls, quality effects and so on. Personally in my case I designed a custom built in hearth I planned to line the box with aluminum and surface with stone facade. Ultimately I decided I would just buy one off Amazon because the value proposition wasn't worth it and spending 20x as much for name brand with warranty for essentially a prop wasn't a value proposition for me. Especially since I could just buy a new insert and swap it out in however many years.

If I was going primary electric heat and needed it for a heat source, I would consider the more expensive units with good warranties.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I just went through this exercise, but paused my project because I need to wait until I finish some electrical work to add a dedicated circuit.

My desire is 90% aesthetic, 10% function. With that in mind I looked at units from Amazon, big box stores and the local stove and hearth shop. I think you get what you pay for but the majority of these units are all manufactured in the same place in China which means it's hard to tell the difference between high class branded units and just decent no names often. Most of the really expensive ones are wall size or made for hotel lobbies and minimalist modern homes.

The biggest issue is airflow, controls, quality effects and so on. Personally in my case I designed a custom built in hearth I planned to line the box with aluminum and surface with stone facade. Ultimately I decided I would just buy one off Amazon because the value proposition wasn't worth it and spending 20x as much for name brand with warranty for essentially a prop wasn't a value proposition for me. Especially since I could just buy a new insert and swap it out in however many years.

If I was going primary electric heat and needed it for a heat source, I would consider the more expensive units with good warranties.
Im in the same thought pattern here. Its almost entirely aesthetic in my choice. I want the option for it to put out heat so its not purely cosmetic, though. But when they talk about 2500 btu's, 5000, 10,000 etc. .. I just dont really care all that much. Put out as much heat as a small floor heater for all I care. I can do my own electrical, so thats not a huge concern - but it is something that I wasnt thinking about.

But yes, the look of the fire, its coals, or the wood is almost 90% of what Im looking at. My home is very minimalist, so it is pretty much the "look" of what Im hoping to achieve. Not your standard fire place that most residential homes have. I saw this one unit that uses water vapors thats back lit that looked fucking fantastic. But not only was the starting price 12k, but Im thinking.. where the fuck is all that moisture going to go? So there is just shit out there like that, that I want on a smaller budget of maybe upwards of 2k that has flames, embers, etc. that look real and has a small heating element.

Something very much like this - But brand? purchase location? Would that really cost that much? What is a good budget? Life expectancy (Since you brought that up, its a good point.)
Screenshot 2023-12-22 121330.jpg

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
One of the pieces of LVP in my house is curling up a bit at a corner, and I occasionally get my foot caught on it. Is there any easy way to secure it back in place? Maybe peeling it back and using a bit of Gorilla Glue or something?

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
sleevedraw sleevedraw can you be more specific or post a picture? LVP - is this flooring? Is it laminate or vinyl, or something else?

Sure! LVP is luxury vinyl plank. Flooring. My understanding is that it’s basically vinyl, but thicker, so it behaves a bit more like wood.

Here’s a pic; I’m pointing to the annoying corner in question.

IMG_1432.jpeg

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Sure! LVP is luxury vinyl plank. Flooring. My understanding is that it’s basically vinyl, but thicker, so it behaves a bit more like wood.

View attachment 506214

Ah thanks! I would use epoxy vs gorilla glue. Gorilla glue expands as it cures and it might be lumpy. If you have a 2 part, 5 min epoxy, use that. Put some wax paper on top in case theres squeeze out (clean up with alcohol if theres squeezeout), and put something heavy and flat on it overnight. Should fix you up.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

last year the wife wanted the tv over the fire place thing.

after tons of research - you are buying an Amazon special - a propane or the water vapor one.

they are all essentially the same all in the same category - you said no propane and not 10k + so your getting the Amazon speacial

fine the one that has the most color combos you can, find one that has changeable or the “bedding” you like, aka stones or fake wood.

the bigger the viewing area the better, like a TV your want a small bezel.

I live in FL I turned on the units heat by accident once, so I can’t give any help there.

make sure it’s level or the roller may thump and make sounds.

I think I lucked out on the fake fire on mine, it’s hard to see the pattern, takes me a long time to find it. Also I think there are two layers as there are some “flames” that move slower than others - all in all it does not look real, it looks nice fake… having seen some other sets at stores they look bad-fake

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

View attachment 506214
If you need to get at the corner to repair use this mthod in reverse to create a gap

I had to do this to fix 2 gaps

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Just finished a 300 ft underground run of cat5e in conduit. Cable is direct bury rated but ran conduit in case I ever need to rerun. Do you guys think it’s worth sealing the ends where it comes out? Was trying to find grommets of some sort to seal but couldn’t find anything. Could use expanding foam but wanted something a little cleaner looking.

IMG_5016.jpeg

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Just finished a 300 ft underground run of cat5e in conduit. Cable is direct bury rated but ran conduit in case I ever need to rerun. Do you guys think it’s worth sealing the ends where it comes out? Was trying to find grommets of some sort to seal but couldn’t find anything. Could use expanding foam but wanted something a little cleaner looking.

View attachment 507120
3d print one

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Starting kitchen remodel. This is just the little nook where we have our coffee machines. Used this area as a test, sort of, to see if we liked our choices.

Before. Laminate countertop, 6x6 white ceramic tile backsplash.

Coffee%20area%20before-XL.jpg

After

Coffee%20area%20after-XL.jpg

Painted cabinets, new hardware, undercabinet lighting, porcelain and granite countertops with porcelain tile backsplash. Made the backsplash large because those coffeemakers spit and sputter on to the walls, but my wife likes it enough to continue with that height through out the rest of the project. Will start on stove side of kitchen today. Probably take me another 2-3 weeks to finish. Setting up a saw in the snow is not fun but for me it's the best time of year to do this. What else is there to do.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users