Home Improvement

Goatface

2024012508192406--198527411331199761-L.jpg
whats the extra outlet for?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My Mom's bar has that outlet. She uses it for charging her cell phone.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
whats the extra outlet for?
The wire for that outlet was there and serviced an outlet that was on the other side of the bar I removed. It's handy for things like a bread machine or a mixer or whatever. I wanted it to pop up from the countertop, but the dishwasher is there and there wasn't enough room, so there it is.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The wire for that outlet was there and serviced an outlet that was on the other side of the bar I removed. It's handy for things like a bread machine or a mixer or whatever. I wanted it to pop up from the countertop, but the dishwasher is there and there wasn't enough room, so there it is.
My inlaws have a couple like that in similar locations in their kitchen.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
He wanted to invite Lanx over for dinner so need the extra sockets for all his Amazon gadgets
I could sure use thise extra outlets in my coffee cubby
0125241854_HDR.jpg

(Yes i have to do wire management soon)

• 2Worf
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 3 users

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
My house was built in the late 70's but one thing that they definitely got right is there's 7 outlets in the kitchen and each one of them has its own breaker. I can run the microwave, toaster oven, electric griddle, waffle iron, and the coffee maker all at the same time and still have plenty of amperage to spare. My old house was built in the 40's with the electricity added in later and if I tried to run the microwave and the coffee pot at the same time my computer would shut off at the other end of the house.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My house was built in the late 70's but one thing that they definitely got right is there's 7 outlets in the kitchen and each one of them has its own breaker. I can run the microwave, toaster oven, electric griddle, waffle iron, and the coffee maker all at the same time and still have plenty of amperage to spare. My old house was built in the 40's with the electricity added in later and if I tried to run the microwave and the coffee pot at the same time my computer would shut off at the other end of the house.
The separate breakers may seem like overkill to some people, but Im right there with you on them. Ive dealt with enough fuckery to know its a fucking nightmare if they arent. Replaced the appliances in my newest house because the girlfriend at the time thought they clashed with the rest of the kitchen. Fine, whatever, black and stainless steel coming right up. I thought the Drawer Microwave in the cabinet was fucking dinky and small, so I went with a bigger one that had the pull out drawer. Wasnt worried about electrical or anything, just assumed it was set up properly. Fast forward to when its all done, cause I was redoing the media room at that time too... and low and behold, I found out through a series of breaker tripping that the line that was supporting my TV's, Stereo and a media PC were on the same fucking line that the Microwave was on. So when someone used the microwave while someone else was watching a movie - the power would go out. Made me so fucking furious that cutting out the sheetrock to run a separate line was relieving in itself.

Fuck I hate electrical, plumbing and HVAC so fucking bad.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
ha, i know my exact limit, is
induction wok/airfryer/electric kettle/microwave

if i turn on anything else, boom

• 2Worf

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
The separate breakers may seem like overkill to some people, but Im right there with you on them. Ive dealt with enough fuckery to know its a fucking nightmare if they arent. Replaced the appliances in my newest house because the girlfriend at the time thought they clashed with the rest of the kitchen. Fine, whatever, black and stainless steel coming right up. I thought the Drawer Microwave in the cabinet was fucking dinky and small, so I went with a bigger one that had the pull out drawer. Wasnt worried about electrical or anything, just assumed it was set up properly. Fast forward to when its all done, cause I was redoing the media room at that time too... and low and behold, I found out through a series of breaker tripping that the line that was supporting my TV's, Stereo and a media PC were on the same fucking line that the Microwave was on. So when someone used the microwave while someone else was watching a movie - the power would go out. Made me so fucking furious that cutting out the sheetrock to run a separate line was relieving in itself.

Fuck I hate electrical, plumbing and HVAC so fucking bad.
Man that sucks. Pretty sure code says at least the microwave is supposed to have a dedicated breaker.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Man that sucks. Pretty sure code says at least the microwave is supposed to have a dedicated breaker.
This big ass house was built in 2004. Was originally a project I was going to flip and had a hair up my ass that I would have a family here. The people I bought it from were the second owners, and they redid the kitchen after the original owners. The little swing door & drawer built-in microwave they had was some cheap garbage that was that cream white, along with the rest of the appliances. The g/f (at the time) and I ripped out all of the cabinets, the old appliances, flooring and put all new cabinets in with a color granite I liked, and she chose some ZLine bullshit appliances that cost too fkn much, but well.. Im single and have a kitchen I use to cook Chicken and Rice 99% of the time. Point Im making is that with two DIY remodels, some shit is bound to not be up to code.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So a few days before Christmas, some asshole pried open the street facing door of our mailbox and took the mail. Fortunately, nothing of value was in there and we monitor or credit info regularly after my wife’s ID having been stolen about 7 years ago (dude got a bunch of credit cards, made purchases etc. Fortunately he wasn’t too smart and we caught on very early, got everything cancelled etc).

We were going to move the mailbox to a wall mount near the front door, but USPS has to approve and they aren’t letting anyone move them away from the street in my area

Anyway, leaning toward getting something like this The M1-LT Mailbox - Fort Knox Mailbox, LLC.

Any other recommendations/comments?

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yeah, when I redid my kitchen I put all the outlets on different breakers. I think I have 7 or 8 different breakers in there. I run crockpots, mixers, anything and never ever get a tripped breaker. It was the right decision.

• 2Like

Daidraco

So a few days before Christmas, some asshole pried open the street facing door of our mailbox and took the mail. Fortunately, nothing of value was in there and we monitor or credit info regularly after my wife’s ID having been stolen about 7 years ago (dude got a bunch of credit cards, made purchases etc. Fortunately he wasn’t too smart and we caught on very early, got everything cancelled etc).

We were going to move the mailbox to a wall mount near the front door, but USPS has to approve and they aren’t letting anyone move them away from the street in my area

Anyway, leaning toward getting something like this The M1-LT Mailbox - Fort Knox Mailbox, LLC.

One concern is outgoing mail is going to go... where?
Second concern is, Amazon packages that would normally fit in a mailbox will not be left at your door instead. They'll lave you a pink slip and ask you to pick it up at the post office. (Unless you have a bigger package, which would warrant them leaving everything at your door.)

I personally just have a Post Office Box that basically gets all my personal mail and business mail and packages are left in a keyed locker for me. I know whats coming with informed delivery, and of course no one is going to steal from a PO Box.
Thoughts here on induction cook tops - if any exp, the ikea ones?
No experience with Ikea ones - I just hate that I have to use fucking stove top glass cleaner to clean mine all the time. I cook eggs just about every morning and it needs to be cleaned from just that little bit of oil popping, every 2-3 days. I personally wouldnt trust an ikea brand unless it came with a fat warranty and you're near the store.

Siliconemelons

One concern is outgoing mail is going to go... where?
Second concern is, Amazon packages that would normally fit in a mailbox will not be left at your door instead. They'll lave you a pink slip and ask you to pick it up at the post office. (Unless you have a bigger package, which would warrant them leaving everything at your door.)

I personally just have a Post Office Box that basically gets all my personal mail and business mail and packages are left in a keyed locker for me. I know whats coming with informed delivery, and of course no one is going to steal from a PO Box.

No experience with Ikea ones - I just hate that I have to use fucking stove top glass cleaner to clean mine all the time. I cook eggs just about every morning and it needs to be cleaned from just that little bit of oil popping, every 2-3 days. I personally wouldnt trust an ikea brand unless it came with a fat warranty and you're near the store.

I have a flat top glass range now, so cleaning it is, well what it is- I actually figured induction may be some better because the way the heat works it wouldn't burn so badly on the glass?

Ikea reviews are all over the place on all their stuff, it is kinda hard. There is an ikea kinda close but not conveniently close.

edit: sorry, their cook tops have 5 year limited warranty - seems more than other standard ones like at Lowes

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

i was looking at the mail boss brand when i moved to my place
a5bf656db6a57a9be5a7d3a6d27156f4.jpg

Mail Boss 7506 Mail Manager Curbside Locking Security Mailbox, Black,Large
(i'm used to locked mailboxes, even w/ a communal one in a cul de sac)

i ordered one (theres a slightly larger one for packages... cuz you know), it didn't come for a while and i kinda forgot about it and got a refund, but they were rated the highest on amazon

• 1Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have a flat top glass range now, so cleaning it is, well what it is- I actually figured induction may be some better because the way the heat works it wouldn't burn so badly on the glass?

Ikea reviews are all over the place on all their stuff, it is kinda hard. There is an ikea kinda close but not conveniently close.

edit: sorry, their cook tops have 5 year limited warranty - seems more than other standard ones like at Lowes
you just need automotive tools to clean your glass countertop
e0958f5635f41ca941f4b6c8b30399df.png

Lisle 52000 Razor Blade Scraper,Red

trust me what you couldn't remove w/ pure elbow grease, you can get 90% w/ just a razerblade scraper

then just use compound and polish
a4f32901cb29f194dec0b7186acd66ad.png

i have a orbital polisher for the car so i don't know how long it'll take by hand, but you can get it to look like factory (i don't do this every day, i did it once in my old home when i moved out and i plan to do the same when i sell this house)

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

Yeah I have the small blade razor thing, and generally barkeepers friend and a little water to scrub then razor.

never thought to buff the thing lol