Home Improvement

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
So, I had a bathroom light fixture stop working, and I'm trying to figure out the issue here. Maybe I'm searching for the wrong shit. It's 6 bulbs, all 6 bulbs are good. It's fed from this switch, and this is where I'm confused. Why would this switch have a black and a black and the other switch has a white and a white? They control different lights.

IMG_20240302_104951084.jpg

I don't know where to go from here in the diagnostic process and YouTube and Google is leading me fucking nowhere.

Also - it's the kids bathroom and I let her paint it, so yeah, the color is a little non standard.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Fyi, I have 90v on those 2 black wires on that switch. 120v on the 2 white wires on the switch next to it when it's OFF and 0.01 when it's on.

I don't know what the fuck any of this means. Just checked another 2 gang switch in my house and I have a fucking red and a black going to it, so I'm just gonna throw out a wild guess black/black isn't supposed to be that connection.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Having 2 blacks on a switch is normal. You're breaking the hot wire. As far as the two whites, they could be switching the low side or doing some shenanigans to save wire. If there's a red wire it's probably a 3-way switch. If it's been working it's not wired wrong. If you're showing 90V across the switch whether it's off or on, then your switch is bad and you should replace it but don't change the way it's wired.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Ive came across shit like that and even if I had to replace the switch, I would just rewire the shit exactly like it was before hand. Which, indirectly, could be me pointing out the problem. Have you tried a different switch?

Caligula_The_Cat

Vyemm Raider
Anyone have experience with running an Ethernet port to a bedroom? Router is in the master closet and would need to go through the attic, to a room at the opposite end of the house. DIY or hire an electrician?

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Anyone have experience with running an Ethernet port to a bedroom? Router is in the master closet and would need to go through the attic, to a room at the opposite end of the house. DIY or hire an electrician?
I mean, what do you want to know? The idea of it isnt difficult, it just depends on the circumstances. The distance traveled from router to the room, which is involving line loss, etc.? Is it going through multiple walls? Or traveling a path that needs to go through multiple studs? Do you have the tools to do any of that? Does the entire length of the line, if its long, need to be ethernet, or are you fine with transitions? Etc.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

I've done it. Difficulty depends entirely on your tolerance for digging through your walls, attic/crawlspace access, and whether you're installing the box at an entirely new place or piggybacking on existing runs. None of it is hard, but can be messy/annoying and require a few specialty tools. You'll pay hundreds extra to an electrician, but that might be worth it.

My house is single story and in my IT closet I installed a piece of conduit that lets me go up or down to attic or crawlspace. Going down is physically taxing (18 in clearance max) but going up is a lot easier than drilling down from the attic IMO.

Caligula_The_Cat

Vyemm Raider
My house is two story but luckily the router is upstairs and so is the second room that needs a port. The insulation in the attic is blown and quite deep. I crawled up there but between all the hung AC duct work and insulation, it was a nightmare just finding where they ran the line to the router. I’m not sure if I have the ability to find the spare bedrooms electric and try to get the Ethernet wire to follow down along it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
it's planting time, gonna try a black beauty ultra
fc5b8413569f6f8c6d7b89030ff1754d.png

it's cheaper on amazon than direct (i also don't have a local)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
My house is two story but luckily the router is upstairs and so is the second room that needs a port. The insulation in the attic is blown and quite deep. I crawled up there but between all the hung AC duct work and insulation, it was a nightmare just finding where they ran the line to the router. I’m not sure if I have the ability to find the spare bedrooms electric and try to get the Ethernet wire to follow down along it.
sounds like you may want to go the electrician / handyman route.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
it's planting time, gonna try a black beauty ultra
fc5b8413569f6f8c6d7b89030ff1754d.png

it's cheaper on amazon than direct (i also don't have a local)
ahh yes, I have a note on my calendar to call the weed/pest place to 100% spray my property with weedkiller this month. 100% stone, 0% grass.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Saw this on Instagram and it reminded of the conversation you guys were having a few months back about tumbleweeds.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users