Home Improvement

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
We were initially just planning on hiring someone to replace all this stuff. I’m glad we didn’t, not just for the money savings, but despite how frustrated I get while trying to DIY shit, it does feel really good knowing you’ve done a task yourself and every new tool I get just means there’s more stuff that I can now do myself.

Now if I could figure out how to get my ceiling fans to stop being noisy cunts…

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
We were initially just planning on hiring someone to replace all this stuff. I’m glad we didn’t, not just for the money savings, but despite how frustrated I get while trying to DIY shit, it does feel really good knowing you’ve done a task yourself and every new tool I get just means there’s more stuff that I can now do myself.

Now if I could figure out how to get my ceiling fans to stop being noisy cunts…
Noisy ceiling fans are usually loose ceiling fans. Hit them with that same screwdriver you are using on the devices. You'll be amazed what a little tightening can do. If you do not have a lot of forearm strength, try a mild power tool (think $20 electric screwdriver), a big ass drill will overtighten / shear off a screw and you will be fucked.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
We successfully replaced the light switches! And I learned a new trick to tell which terminals on a three way to use when using it as a single pole. Now…how to work around the fucking awful drywall finishing job that was done that everyone can now see… I guess one day we’ll have to go back and sand that shit down and repaint or what not.

The switches are pretty nice, though! Look good and they got that nice tactile snap to them. Hopefully should look good with the rest of the eventual black/brass theme.

IMG_8094.jpeg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

lurker

Vyemm Raider
We successfully replaced the light switches! And I learned a new trick to tell which terminals on a three way to use when using it as a single pole. Now…how to work around the fucking awful drywall finishing job that was done that everyone can now see… I guess one day we’ll have to go back and sand that shit down and repaint or what not.

The switches are pretty nice, though! Look good and they got that nice tactile snap to them. Hopefully should look good with the rest of the eventual black/brass theme.

View attachment 530137
It's good to see you also have to have all the screws lined up. I wouldn't have it any other way and to those that don't understand this, well, I feel bad for you.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
It's good to see you also have to have all the screws lined up. I wouldn't have it any other way and to those that don't understand this, well, I feel bad for you.
I saw the post last night in bed and was zooming in trying not to trigger myself. Meant to wake up this morning and joke about mocking up some lines to verify that they're all aligned correctly. Really undecided about whether I like this style of switch or not. My initial reaction is no, but then maybe?

1716645029342.png

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I saw the post last night in bed and was zooming in trying not to trigger myself. Meant to wake up this morning and joke about mocking up some lines to verify that they're all aligned correctly. Really undecided about whether I like this style of switch or not. My initial reaction is no, but then maybe?

View attachment 530183

Well, goddamnit, I'll go fix that bottom left one.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
OK, question for those who are more familiar with generators and electrical in general than I am.

If I have a generator (stand alone, small gas powered thing, like one would take camping, etc...) that I am using when my house is suddenly without power (thanks Texas weather). It says it's rated for 3300 watts/ 4375 watts "starting". Does that mean it can surge to cover 4375, but can't stay there and can maintain 3300? My brain is telling me that's right... but I'm also old and insane....

Right now it's easily chugging along with two fridges, one chest freezer, a 450 sq ft coverage window AC unit, and a couple PD chargers for phones/etc on it....

Palum

what Suineg set it to
OK, question for those who are more familiar with generators and electrical in general than I am.

If I have a generator (stand alone, small gas powered thing, like one would take camping, etc...) that I am using when my house is suddenly without power (thanks Texas weather). It says it's rated for 3300 watts/ 4375 watts "starting". Does that mean it can surge to cover 4375, but can't stay there and can maintain 3300? My brain is telling me that's right... but I'm also old and insane....

Right now it's easily chugging along with two fridges, one chest freezer, a 450 sq ft coverage window AC unit, and a couple PD chargers for phones/etc on it....

Yes, but there's a lot of minutiae with power and motor startup and with a 120v generator, you can run into problems because it will generally only feed one rail which will be alternating breaker slots on both sides.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Yes, but there's a lot of minutiae with power and motor startup and with a 120v generator, you can run into problems because it will generally only feed one rail which will be alternating breaker slots on both sides.
This one has two outlet blocks (two sockets on each outlet, CGFI), and a 15a breaker for each one...

It also has a 220 socket on it, which tells me it's running two rails.... hopefully

Last edited:

Palum

what Suineg set it to
This one has two outlet blocks (two sockets on each outlet, CGFI), and a 15a breaker for each one...

Yea if you're plugging that stuff into the generator its fine. It's just if you're trying to backfeed.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Yea if you're plugging that stuff into the generator its fine. It's just if you're trying to backfeed.
No backfeeding, just plugging shit in. I've been debating getting this house wired so I could do a backup generator on the actual wiring of the house, but I don't think we're going to be living here more than another year or so.....

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
That ac unit alone is probably taking half of its capacity so I wouldn't try to plug more into it. You're going to get about 25 amps out of that thing so if each fridge/freezer is drawing 5 and the AC is drawing 10 you're pretty maxed out. They might be less than that depending on how new they are, but I wouldn't push it. I've known people who melted down their generator by trying to run too much shit when the power was out.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Generator is going to try to run everything , if the breakers don't kick it will melt. Seen it a lot. Adding an ATS / MTS for generator is expensive pre-COVID, probably insane now.

Swapping topics, anyone used one of these or similar? I priced out having our carpets & one monster big-ass sectional cleaned and the guy quoted $500. His per room / item prices actually made sense so I do not think he's trying to fleece me but I can rent a rug doctor over the weekend for $40 (which is what we usually do anyhow) but I need something to do the couch with. This is cordless and I am already a member of the Ryobi 18V cult. Lanx Lanx , how many of these do you have in your garage?

ryobi.png

Edit : sorry gang I didn't realize the picture was that shit, but you get the point.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Generator is going to try to run everything , if the breakers don't kick it will melt. Seen it a lot. Adding an ATS / MTS for generator is expensive pre-COVID, probably insane now.

Swapping topics, anyone used one of these or similar? I priced out having our carpets & one monster big-ass sectional cleaned and the guy quoted $500. His per room / item prices actually made sense so I do not think he's trying to fleece me but I can rent a rug doctor over the weekend for $40 (which is what we usually do anyhow) but I need something to do the couch with. This is cordless and I am already a member of the Ryobi 18V cult. Lanx Lanx , how many of these do you have in your garage?

View attachment 530552

Edit : sorry gang I didn't realize the picture was that shit, but you get the point.

I've used one. They get a lot of dirt out of fabrics and rugs but don't remove stains as well as you'd want. Might be more effective with hot water and soap in the reservoir, but I've never gone that far. Handheld versions take forever to clean any appreciable area.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Haus

<Silver Donator>
That ac unit alone is probably taking half of its capacity so I wouldn't try to plug more into it. You're going to get about 25 amps out of that thing so if each fridge/freezer is drawing 5 and the AC is drawing 10 you're pretty maxed out. They might be less than that depending on how new they are, but I wouldn't push it. I've known people who melted down their generator by trying to run too much shit when the power was out.
The AC unit has an "eco mode" which apparently is a lower power draw, lower output mode. It's ran all last summer on the same circuit with one of the fridges and the freezer, which has a 15 amp breaker on it, so I figured those three things together are under 15 amps. But you're right, I know I'm probably around the limit of this one. I was just wondering why the two numbers (4275 and 3300) BY my math taking 800 watts for each fridge and 400 for the freezer(it's only a 6 cu ft) that gets me 2000) and adding 1100 for the AC puts me around 3100 watts which should be just under it. The phone charger is a trivial addon compared to those two.

So far this experiment has been running for almost 8 hours, and has consumed around half a tank of gas on it (5 gal tank). I checked the oil this morning and emptied and replaced it with clean before firing it up. Just keeping my fingers crossed at this point. Also, the AC is getting shut off once the temp gets to around 75.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

View attachment 530552

i have this ryobi vac
823ff6884913e2f71ff96cf85882c49d.png

b/c i have a lot of ryobi batteries and it made sense instead of just getting another cordless dyson w/ batteries that i can't interchange anywhere. (i have 2 full vaccuums, but sometimes you just want something quick to do cleaning)

but i don't really see a "need" for a cordless spot clean

it doesn't even have the spot feature like the bissel
d8049dcc7e2b4c463f20aaca96425dac.png

but then youre also talking to a guy that has his own rug doctor, just get your own imo

bissell sells a home version for 400

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I've used one. They get a lot of dirt out of fabrics and rugs but don't remove stains as well as you'd want. Might be more effective with hot water and soap in the reservoir, but I've never gone that far. Handheld versions take forever to clean any appreciable area.
I figured it would take a while, that's why I was going to buy it outright.