Home Improvement

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I also found out that Homeowner's insurance covers theft on cars. Had someone do a smash and grab on my car at my in-law's place while we slept and it covered everything stolen (with a $500 deductible).
Yeah, if you have tools, a bike, clothes, whatever stolen out of your car it is generally covered under your home policy, not your car policy. Which can make things a pain in the cunt since you might be paying two deductibles.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I also found out that Homeowner's insurance covers theft on cars. Had someone do a smash and grab on my car at my in-law's place while we slept and it covered everything stolen (with a $500 deductible).
That is your personal property though, it wouldn't have covered the car itself being stolen. Your personal property, no matter where it is at (home, work, school, in your car, on vacation, etc) is going to be covered off of your homeowners policy. Alternately, your car insurance covers NOTHING that is sitting in your car, that isn't installed as part of the car. So if you want your phone, computer, ipad, etc covered if someone breaks into your car, better have homeowners or renters insurance.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, if you have tools, a bike, clothes, whatever stolen out of your car it is generally covered under your home policy, not your car policy. Which can make things a pain in the cunt since you might be paying two deductibles.
Yeah, that does suck. 1 deductible for your broken car window/vandalism damage, then another deductible for your stolen items off your home policy.

It also really sucks if you ever accidentally drive your own car into your garage door and damage it(that happens a LOT). 1 deductible for your car and its damage, another deductible for your house and it's damage.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Insurance surely does cover that. If you care to make a claim and have your premiums go up.

Yeah. Insurance is a fricking racket.

Sorry to hear about your sewer backup, man. That's shit you can't fix yourself? Get the insurance to price it, give you a cash settlement, and do it yourself for half price?
I have coverage for the damage to my basement up to a limit of 10k. Given that the cleaning bill is currently sitting at $3500, that isn't much.

The sewer line itself they won't cover at all. I'm having to pay to have it dug up and repaired, otherwise I'm just risking another backup six months from now.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I have the weirdest freaking thing happening. Someone please solve this for me.

The house I bought was very rough when I got it - crack house, foreclosed upon, no garbage service for the previous 8 months so all the garbage was in the garage, you get the idea. One of the things missing was a garage door opener. Two, actually. So I got some remote units that I attached, and they worked great for almost 6 years.

Now, on one of them, if I press the remote button, the door comes part way down, and then goes back up again. If I press and hold the button, it comes down further, but only actually closes all the way about 10% of the time. It goes back up again. It is driving me crazy.

I have rewired most of the opener since this started happening. I've changed batteries in the remote. I've swapped out the cable connecting the new remote sensor to the opener. Nothing has any impact.

What in the actual fuck is going on?

Lemeran

Lord Nagafen Raider
Sounds like the tension needs to be adjusted or the track lubed. Probably nothing to do with the remote.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
If the opener is only 6 years old, it has a laser "safe" system installed in it. IE - It will not come down if something interrupts the beam. Chances are what's happening is, the brackets that hold the laser things are lose. When the door gets a little lower, they wobble, thus breaking the beam, and the door goes back up.

It's just a coincidence that it goes down a little further if you're holding the button.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
The opener is something like 35 years old, it's only the remote sensor that's new.

But good suggestion, I'm going to tighten the track, make sure everything moves like it is supposed to, and go from there. It makes sense that it's a resistance issue. I should have thought of that.

Remit_sl

shitlord
Anyone know how to stretch a chain link fence without the proper tools? Assholes want like $500-900 to do it. It is literally 35ft of 5ft chain link. Ive sank the posts, set the top rail, and have all the supplies (literally, all of them). Straight line, short section that was damaged.

Im thinking about using a section of 5/8" grounding rod and pulling on it with my 4-wheeler winch while tying the fence to posts/top rail

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Got quotes for fences in my yard. Somewhere around 250 linear feat.

$3100 for 4ft chain link, $5500 for wood stockade, $5000 for dog-ear

Everyone tells me to do the labor, but we have boulders in the yard that I don't feel comfortable working around. Also I put in our mailbox and it took me a little over an hour and that is a single post.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
So as long as I'm spending a fortune on my basement, I'm thinking about remodeling a bit. Specifically, I'm thinking about tearing down a wall between the two finished rooms to make one large den area. The wall isn't load bearing, so it is really just a matter of preference.

Does anyone know how finished basement space compares to an "in-law suite" in the basement in terms of home value? Right now we have the TV room, and then what amounts to a separate bedroom we never really use for anything with a full bath attached. Since it's the basement, there aren't any windows so it feels a little boxed in for a bedroom.