Home Security Systems

gak

<Gold Donor>
Got these stickers on every window now, never felt safer in my life...

liam_5.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
You didn't get a DiY Security system?

Looking for one with at least 1080 and night vision / low light
i did, the adt/smartthings is a hub that can easily connect other samsung smart things. i have door and window sensors and it's all app enabled which is how i arm it cuz i have a sensor in my garage (cuz i wanna know if ppl break in) and pulling out activates it and it arms in like 1min from the keypad, so i just app it.

along w/ that i have a zmodo 8cam system. it's all wired (one cable takes care of data and power) and saves to the baseunit hd, you can also app from it and view your garage live.

When i got it, 720p was really what was out there, few cam systems had 1080p, now even 2k is becoming more standard-ish, actually. recently ppl on the forums have said the arlo is nice for ease of installs.

idk, i'd still rather have wires

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
i did, the adt/smartthings is a hub that can easily connect other samsung smart things. i have door and window sensors and it's all app enabled which is how i arm it cuz i have a sensor in my garage (cuz i wanna know if ppl break in) and pulling out activates it and it arms in like 1min from the keypad, so i just app it.

along w/ that i have a zmodo 8cam system. it's all wired (one cable takes care of data and power) and saves to the baseunit hd, you can also app from it and view your garage live.

When i got it, 720p was really what was out there, few cam systems had 1080p, now even 2k is becoming more standard-ish, actually. recently ppl on the forums have said the arlo is nice for ease of installs.

idk, i'd still rather have wires

I'm trying to put 4 cameras near or around a house, and 4 more about 200 yards out in a field (there is power out there)

So 8 channel, with wireless capability is what I'm looking for.

Swann has some that look like what I want. But dunno if I can use wireless routers to connect cameras etc.

Might just call adt and see what they have

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm trying to put 4 cameras near or around a house, and 4 more about 200 yards out in a field (there is power out there)

So 8 channel, with wireless capability is what I'm looking for.

Swann has some that look like what I want. But dunno if I can use wireless routers to connect cameras etc.

Might just call adt and see what they have
checkout the arlo like ppl on the forums said, the battery lasts many months, so it's wire free and virtually hasslefree.

you might want more channel, i mean hell, i use 6 just for the outside. 1 for each side, backyad and i have one dedicated to half the front focusing on the driveway, another one taking care of the other half and a porch one.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gator

Molten Core Raider
I have Arlo and Blink and I like them both. Mind you, they have almost a 3 second delay to pick up movement and start recording. They also pick up motion better if the motion is from side to side and not oncoming. I think the Arlo has some better software features but it also cost more than Blink. Arlo has rechargable batteries while Blink uses two AAA batteries which seem to last forever. I have older models so I don't know what has been improved on either system.

Side note: Arlo had a glitch in the firmware a few months back which was causing the batteries to drain within two weeks. I took months for the issue to be fixed and was really annoying.

As for placement, I had rats in my shed and I was able to place a camera inside the shed to see how many there were and what size. It was a mother with two babies which became interesting watching them. I put another camera in a Gillie suit and stuck it up in a tree.

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So I recently setup my Ring video doorbell, and the app is being annoying as shit. Everytime I get a notice of activity at my door, I click it, and it brings up the app and says reconnecting to the camera, and then I just get live feed ended. I don't get to watch shit. But then if I go back into the camera, and click the time stamp, it'll play it from there.

Is it just a janky AF app, or what?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So I recently setup my Ring video doorbell, and the app is being annoying as shit. Everytime I get a notice of activity at my door, I click it, and it brings up the app and says reconnecting to the camera, and then I just get live feed ended. I don't get to watch shit. But then if I go back into the camera, and click the time stamp, it'll play it from there.

Is it just a janky AF app, or what?
don't trust ring, ever

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
decided to upgrade my cams, currently i have 7, 720p wired cams feeding into a dvr.

i want more resolution, 4k, also the app is pretty ass, it's gonna be wired bnc

what am i gonna do with the older system? guess i'll just hang em around inside the house, like have one pointed at my waterheater (to check for leaks), have one pointed at my sump pump (so i know it's working).

• 1Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
honestly i've been lazy setting up a security monitoring system, i have cams, but i wanted an all in one package, this lead me on the road to get a whole wyze security package

yup, they now offer monitoring along w/ security cams and a doorbell cam, it's like everything i wanted.

do NOT, buy from amazon, instead buy from them directly

if you order from them you get a year of service free
8ef80fa443fb055f0a1512d716dcaa3c.png

um also at 5$ a month for monitoring, it's the most affordable

i mean the security system will work regardless of monitoring, it will still tell you when a door is opened or motion is detected, the 5$ is just a way for the base station to call popo/fire if you need it, i was paying 25$ for samsung/adt in topeka (and i didn't need it), simply safe is 15$ and ring comes in at a cool 10$, but for 5$ a month for wyze? like why not.

anyway the starter isn't much just the core unit, 1keypad 2 door sensors and a motion sensor, enough for an apt, but not for a real home, youre gonna have to add some, but even then it's cheap.

like a ring extra keypad (you would want 2 in your house, most ppl either enter in the front door or garage door right?) costs like 50bucks whick is still a good deal, but a wyze keypad is just 25bucks.

but the main reason why i wanted this wyze, is b/c of the cameras, i wanted EVERYTHING in one app and wyze has it all

motion sensing/door/cameras/doorbell cam even water monitoring, all from just one app and cams start at just 35bucks, you can order a ton
ce5dc186d48b1a386de2d189bcf122cc.png

what i really liked is that they have a socket adapter that can turn the lightbulb into motionsensing and power a cam
7a7a2ecac3fb1f04e84c91716a887130.png

i have flood lights so all i have to do is just plug this in and i'm gtg, no other wiring needed.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
honestly i've been lazy setting up a security monitoring system, i have cams, but i wanted an all in one package, this lead me on the road to get a whole wyze security package

yup, they now offer monitoring along w/ security cams and a doorbell cam, it's like everything i wanted.

do NOT, buy from amazon, instead buy from them directly

if you order from them you get a year of service free
8ef80fa443fb055f0a1512d716dcaa3c.png

um also at 5$ a month for monitoring, it's the most affordable

i mean the security system will work regardless of monitoring, it will still tell you when a door is opened or motion is detected, the 5$ is just a way for the base station to call popo/fire if you need it, i was paying 25$ for samsung/adt in topeka (and i didn't need it), simply safe is 15$ and ring comes in at a cool 10$, but for 5$ a month for wyze? like why not.

anyway the starter isn't much just the core unit, 1keypad 2 door sensors and a motion sensor, enough for an apt, but not for a real home, youre gonna have to add some, but even then it's cheap.

like a ring extra keypad (you would want 2 in your house, most ppl either enter in the front door or garage door right?) costs like 50bucks whick is still a good deal, but a wyze keypad is just 25bucks.

but the main reason why i wanted this wyze, is b/c of the cameras, i wanted EVERYTHING in one app and wyze has it all

motion sensing/door/cameras/doorbell cam even water monitoring, all from just one app and cams start at just 35bucks, you can order a ton
ce5dc186d48b1a386de2d189bcf122cc.png

what i really liked is that they have a socket adapter that can turn the lightbulb into motionsensing and power a cam
7a7a2ecac3fb1f04e84c91716a887130.png

i have flood lights so all i have to do is just plug this in and i'm gtg, no other wiring needed.
That’s a pretty great idea

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
the socket has been back ordered, i just got one and will set it up for as the one facing out of my garage, i'm pretty sure it'll have enough power to daisy chain it, i swear i had a micro usb (thats what they use) splitter somewhere, but i'm gonna have to buy another to test out i guess.

the install and pairing of all the devices have been easy, actually it's been easier than when i paired and setup the samsung/adt

i also have like a handful of old micro usb cards for these cameras, so i don't have to shell out that much of a fee for cloud service (i'm only gonna rely on the camera for cloud, they give you 1 camera cloud license w/ a 1yr of monitoring), the other cams i'll put sd cards in, since for all intents and purposes they should be out of the way high on the roof anyway.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Is Wyze good quality? I don't want to get any of the bullshit Amazon or Google crap when I get some security setup, but I also don't want some weird Chinese backdoored shit, either.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Is Wyze good quality? I don't want to get any of the bullshit Amazon or Google crap when I get some security setup, but I also don't want some weird Chinese backdoored shit, either.
wyze is an amazon "offshoot"? like amazon employees made the 1st camera and split off into a different company

i've just installed the one app for now, it does include alexa integration (i haven't played w/ it yet, and i don't think i want to saying "alexa turn off alarm" sounds iffy)

the app is more responsive than the other two that i used before, amcrest (american) and eufy (chinese)

thats initially why i went to amcrest first (american) b/c while i had the eufy app, it was just futzy, amcrest app wasn't bad, but the wyze app is nicer.

but all these apps were tons better than samsung/adt

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Don't know much about Wyze, but depending on what you want, you can secure your security network by various means to negate the spying by the whichever company you choose. If you are using their software/allowing full access, all of them are probably collecting meta data. If you are worried about such things, you may need to spend a good chunk of time looking at the various options.

AFAIK, the most secure system is using a dedicated machine to run a third party program, like Blue Iris, with all your cameras on it's own virtual network. For remote access, you then set up a VPN (various routers can do this) that you can connect your phone to.

Unfortunately, the Chinese cameras are going to be the best quality, as CCP has subsidized (and steals any advances by others countries) all that tech. With the proper security, there shouldn't be a way for them to access the backdoors, or use your system as a zombie.

IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes has some good info in their various wikis and forums.

• 1Like