Home Security systems....

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
If they are opening them while you are at work, use an Amazon box, install a cheap camera in it that's connected to home Wi-Fi and have it stream and watch at work. I'd rather see those faces as they realize what's just happened.
wouldn't they bring the box home, or at least away from the 'target' house (out of wifi range), and then open the package? i mean if yous gonna steal, you really gonna just YOLO and open the box right there?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
UPS used to make me so angry when I was an apartment dweller. USPS would leave stuff at the office but UPS wouldn't. They would come by at the same time every day when I was definitely going to be at work and even if I told them to leave it half the time they wouldn't and I would wind up having to drive 30 miles to their distribution center to pick it up. Now that I live in a house out in the sticks they just leave everything on the steps, sometimes even stuff that's supposed to have a signature which I am totally fine with.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Odd UPS would leave stuff at my old apartments. Would even let the person in the office sign for stuff requiring a signature.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I think certain places can get flagged if they have issues with package theft. I was in a community a couple of years ago that they would leave packages at the door. We had a few packages go missing (neighbors not us but everyone knew what was going on as he and a neighbor were feuding for a bit) and the next week I got a package in and the UPS guy knocks on our door for the first time ever. I told him that he could just leave the package next time if he was in a hurry and he said they couldn't anymore because the development was flagged as having a theft problem so signature required.

Funny side note to that feud. My neighbor installed security cameras after that. A few weeks later he was having massive issues with ants. One night out of boredom he was looking at his security footage and he saw the neighbor prowling around his property with a big can. Come to find out the cunt was dumping maple syrup on his lawn by the house and near the window sills etc attracting ants and bugs to the house. She ended up getting arrested for some kind of mischief and trespassing. Moved out of the community shortly after.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
My coworker said a few years back he alerted UPS a package was stolen from his porch and this still refuse to leave anything. He has to drive to the UPS office to pick his shit up. He says he was sure it was a one-off thing and the item was only like $60 and he wishes he never reported it.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
Bolt a lockable box to the floor of your porch and leave a note to have the UPS guy put the package in the box and close the lock. A friend of mine did this.

Melicant

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I use simplisafe and have installed it for a few friends. I personally think it is well worth it. Their refurb systems actually appear to be brand new and are just overstock. For the basic monitoring it is only $15 per month with no contract and we get a 10% insurance discount. Just having signs does help, but we like the peace of mind of having monitoring when out of town. A friend with the system already had his house passed over when a bunch of neighbors in a pretty affluent neighborhood were robbed.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Get one of these:

Ring Video Doorbell for Your Smartphone | Ring

I had to replace my outdoor intercom/doorbell and got a Ring as a replacement. Allows me to answer the doorbell with video/audio from anywhere in the world, and it has an adjustable motion sensor that snaps video when it detects movement.
I'm having problems with mine. No matter what sensitivity I set it to, the motion detection doesn't start recording until the person is already back on the street. You can walk from the sidewalk, up to the door, stop for a second and turn around, walk back to the sidewalk and then the thing will record as you are either getting into your car or walking away.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Man i want that but z wave compatible so I can kill the obnoxious ip camera.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I'm having problems with mine. No matter what sensitivity I set it to, the motion detection doesn't start recording until the person is already back on the street. You can walk from the sidewalk, up to the door, stop for a second and turn around, walk back to the sidewalk and then the thing will record as you are either getting into your car or walking away.
Hmm, I don't have this issue. Maybe latency with your wireless connection? Have you tried contacting support? They're very good and can actually access your device remotely and do some tuning behind the scenes.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Hmm, I don't have this issue. Maybe latency with your wireless connection? Have you tried contacting support? They're very good and can actually access your device remotely and do some tuning behind the scenes.
Yeah, they've tried some stuff that hasn't made a difference. Going to try to get a wifi repeater to help, but the signal is pretty decent at my front door already

Killswitch

N00b
We got kids running around the middle of the night vandalizing cars and busting plants all over the neighborhood. Need a recommendation on a outside wireless camera that I can use at night with good resolution. Need something that records as well so if we find any damage I can check the recording. Was thinking of just putting up some deer cameras but wanted to hear more opinions.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Yeah, they've tried some stuff that hasn't made a difference. Going to try to get a wifi repeater to help, but the signal is pretty decent at my front door already
Before throwing money at a repeater just bring the doorbell inside and place it near your router and see if you can still recreate the problem. For me, extending the range of the motion sensor to 15 feet or so overcame any latency because by the time the person reached my door it has already triggered.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
We got kids running around the middle of the night vandalizing cars and busting plants all over the neighborhood. Need a recommendation on a outside wireless camera that I can use at night with good resolution. Need something that records as well so if we find any damage I can check the recording. Was thinking of just putting up some deer cameras but wanted to hear more opinions.
Guessing the HOA would be against this?

yard-sign-neighbor-not-armed.jpg

Killswitch

N00b
Guessing the HOA would be against this?

yard-sign-neighbor-not-armed.jpg
I think just about every neighbor near me has a firearm. I ended up picking up 3 of these cameras. Will hopefully install them this weekend and check out the software. If needed I will just pick up Blue Iris if the software sucks.

Amazon.com : Microseven? M7B57-WPS 1.3MP H.264 High Definition 960P Wireless IP Camera 802.11 b/g/n + Build-in PoE + Built-in SD Card Recorder Audio ONVIF P2P ICR-20M Indoor/Outdoor-IP66 Weatherproof All-in-One HD WiFi Security IP Network Surveillance Camera with Infrared Night Vision : Camera Photo