Home Theater/Game Room Thread

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
found this guyPhilharmonic Audiowho makes really good speakers from what I've read.. He's shipping me 2 bookshelves and a front for a little over $300. He actually takes the andrew jones center and replaces the guts to improve it. Should be here this weekend!

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
So I just upgraded to a 4k capable 7.2 Sony receiver from my old 5.1 Yamaha. Are the two additional rear surround speakers worth adding in? Is it noticeable? Right now I have two side-facing rear speakers.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
New addition to theater entrance:

rrr_img_134493.jpg

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I kinda want to have movie night in our backyard for the kids this summer. What's the cheapest projector I can get away with for an outdoor nighttime movie?

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
If that is all you want it for and you have no plans for home theater in a dark room then go out to projectorcentral.com and do a search based on lumens and then price. There are some very bright projectors that would be good for outdoors but terrible for dedicated theater rooms and you can pick them up for $800 or less.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
So I just upgraded to a 4k capable 7.2 Sony receiver from my old 5.1 Yamaha. Are the two additional rear surround speakers worth adding in? Is it noticeable? Right now I have two side-facing rear speakers.
The 2 extra are for Dolby Atmos right? I've heard they really sound cool but only a handful of films make use of them.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
The 2 extra are for Dolby Atmos right? I've heard they really sound cool but only a handful of films make use of them.
Atmos speakers are referred to after the .1 - so 5.1.2

It's possible that he has added 2 rear speakers to a 5.1 setup for 7.1

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If that is all you want it for and you have no plans for home theater in a dark room then go out to projectorcentral.com and do a search based on lumens and then price. There are some very bright projectors that would be good for outdoors but terrible for dedicated theater rooms and you can pick them up for $800 or less.
There are ones far cheaper than this. Old room mate bought one for a couple hundred bucks and would literally put it on the patio table and project onto the wall of the house to watch football. Only good at night obviously, but it was surprisingly effective for such a cheap option.

Siliconemelons

I had polk OWM3's for my rear 5.1 setup on my living room setup - wife wants me 2 do crown molding and I didn't want to do the corner cuts or use posts for corner cuts - so I am getting another set of Polk OWM3's for the front left and right and a OWM5 for center- hiding the wires all behind the crown... now what to do with my TSi100's that where front left/right and center (whatever the center model number is that is in alignment with the TSi models) :p

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Atmos speakers are referred to after the .1 - so 5.1.2

It's possible that he has added 2 rear speakers to a 5.1 setup for 7.1
This is accurate. It's the 2 rear speakers, not Atmos(though my receiver supports that as well).

I ended up returning the Sony since it doesn't pass through 4k @ 60hz. I got the new Onkyo TX-NR656. It's been a bit wonky with the HDCP 2.2 ports.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Post up pics of your setups, I know some of you guys have some crazy stuff going on. We moved into our house in 2010 and I spent the first 2 years taking a little bit of money every time I got a paycheck and watching the sales at Home Depot and Menards to get the most materials for my money, then doing work on the weekends to finish my theater and game room in the basement.

I bought a book on how to frame and wire electrical, did all that and the insulation, borrowed a buddy's drywall lift and did the sheetrock. Then I ripped sheets of plywood into 2" strips and built a bunch of picture frames, stretched cubicle fabric over them and stapled the back, and mounted them to the wall over acoustic insulation.

q0KGYJ3.jpg

6O7msaL.jpg

33QqJpY.jpg

vI7IhgP.jpg

6q2XIkM.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Jesus that is amazing!

Our setup is pretty simple. Wall painted with silverscreen paint. 2 couches, back couch is on top of a pair of speakers. Projector mounted on the ceiling. I'll post some pics when I get home. It doesn't look nearly as fancy, but we have 150" @ 1080P so we aren't complaining.

For media we use an Roku 3, Xbox One, and at various times we've direct connected a PC, for 24hrs of Le Mans and such.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thanks I learned a lot doing all the work. Made some mistakes but overall I think it turned out great, and there was no way I could have afforded to hire pros to do all of that. I bought a lot of stuff used off of craiglist too.

I wanted to do the entire basement slab floor in dri-core but that shit is expensive. I actually scored a killer deal on it from Craigslist at about 10 cents on the dollar. Some college guys were using it in a rented house to put over all the carpets so their chairs and tables could be easily moved and they were running an ipad app dev team out of this house, this was 2011 or so. They did well enough they were able to move into real commercial property so they didn't need the dri core anymore.

The granite for the bar would have cost a bundle but I found a remnants place in town and got that slab for about $250, he said it would have cost over $1200 if it wasn't a remnant.

I almost burned the house down once doing the electrical and I almost flooded the place once doing the plumbing but it all wound up OK.

Spent all my money on materials so I didn't have a ton left over for electronics, I got the JVC projector used and built all the speakers from kits.

qDaYj5U.jpg

Took a bunch of leftover materials after the theater was done and built a racing cockpit for the Oculus Rift:

RU681ty.jpg

3OEynQH.jpg

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
When I was designing the theater and bar area I took a lot of ideas for imrovement off a friend of mine. He had a similar setup and he said he couldn't use his popcorn popper because it smoked up the basement too much. I really wanted one and I use it a lot so I added the range hood vented to the outside of the house. When I pop I move the machine over underneath the vent.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Damn you really wanted a pop corn popper, kudos. Theatre looks great, I'm going to be asking for some advice very soon.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yep going to be using that thing a few times a week for the next 5 years until I die of a heart attack at 50.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I think this is good here, coconut oil, it'll change your popcorn experience, this along w/ flavocol is amazing popcorn.
Amazon.com : Coconut Popcorn Popping Oil (Gallon) & Flavocol Combo (Yellow Coconut Oil) : Grocery & Gourmet Food
of course many of you have your own gourmet kernels or such, but this will make the experience, the best. Of course you can use butter also, but i find that TOO RICH, (but some of my piggy friends love the combo) so up to you, i haven't had popcorn in months tho, keto diet.

I just cook it on the stove with a skillet or my wok.