Homeowners

Saladus

Bronze Knight of the Realm
So I bought my first ever home almost two weeks ago with my fiance. Spent probably close to two months looking for a house we liked, and another month closing (which went relatively smooth). We've taken an extra month for rent just so we can slowly move things out of the apartment. Even with that extra month, the initial move in phase so far is quite time consuming and exhausting. Between painting, bringing things over, planning cable installation, furniture delivery, and planning to rent a U-haul, my head is starting to spin.

While I certainly expect to be busier now in general with owning a home, I imagine this initial phase will probably be the most involved when it comes to multitasking a million things at once. I'm looking forward to being able to relax at some point within the next month in my own home
smile.png

smile.png

smile.png

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
It honestly only ends when you run outta money. There's always shit that needs to be done. Fixtures you don't like, appliances you want to replace, plumbing/wiring that need to be corrected, etc. And then when you're done with that, you just start adding the stuff you wish you had but had to compromise on. That's when the bathroom and kitchen remodels start.

So yeah, as long as there's money to spend on the house, you'll find a way to spend it. So I guess my advice is "Go expensive, you'll get to rest sooner."

Varlox_sl

shitlord
And once the remodels have finished and you finally look at everything you've done and are looking forward to being able to sit back and enjoy it...the furnace breaks
tongue.png

tongue.png

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I lost about 10-20 hours of gaming a week with my first house. Congrats, have fun and the shit never ends! When I bought my house I had to do this:

1. Rip down wallpaper throughout the whole house.
  2. Paint every single wall
  3. Rip up carpet in 4 rooms.
  4. Sand, Stain, Refinished hardwood floors in 3 rooms.
  5. Drywall damage walls.
  6. Resod some parts of my yard.
  7. Cut/Fit/Install new floor trim and install new crown molding in some places
  8. Install a new fridge.
  9. Powerwash the deck.
  10. Install a BBQ.

This was in the space of 2 months. good times.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
And once the remodels have finished and you finally look at everything you've done and are looking forward to being able to sit back and enjoy it...the furnace breaks
tongue.png
You never really enjoy it, because that bathroom you redid 5 yrs ago is so 2005.

tongue.png

Filwen_sl

shitlord
So I bought my first ever home almost two weeks ago with my fiance. Spent probably close to two months looking for a house we liked, and another month closing (which went relatively smooth). We've taken an extra month for rent just so we can slowly move things out of the apartment. Even with that extra month, the initial move in phase so far is quite time consuming and exhausting. Between painting, bringing things over, planning cable installation, furniture delivery, and planning to rent a U-haul, my head is starting to spin.

While I certainly expect to be busier now in general with owning a home, I imagine this initial phase will probably be the most involved when it comes to multitasking a million things at once. I'm looking forward to being able to relax at some point within the next month in my own home
smile.png
I'm looking into buying with my wife in the next 6 months. Did you explore FHA financing at all? We can't afford to put down 20% on the mortgage we want, so we are thinking about going FHA and paying the lower FHA insurance premium than PMI. Curious if you looked into it at all.

smile.png

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
There will be some relaxing times for sure, but after a while, you spend your weekends fixing shit not because you have to, but because you want to... sick shit I know.

Saladus

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm looking into buying with my wife in the next 6 months. Did you explore FHA financing at all? We can't afford to put down 20% on the mortgage we want, so we are thinking about going FHA and paying the lower FHA insurance premium than PMI. Curious if you looked into it at all.
Nope on FHA. We were both well off rough finically that we could put down 20%. We wanted no part of PMI. Perhaps someone else here might be able to help with that input.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I out down 10% and tacked on an extra 4k on the loan and avoided PMI. The was only available to us bc our credit scores were so high.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
It honestly only ends when you run outta money. There's always shit that needs to be done. Fixtures you don't like, appliances you want to replace, plumbing/wiring that need to be corrected, etc. And then when you're done with that, you just start adding the stuff you wish you had but had to compromise on. That's when the bathroom and kitchen remodels start.

So yeah, as long as there's money to spend on the house, you'll find a way to spend it. So I guess my advice is "Go expensive, you'll get to rest sooner."
This completely. My mortgage payment isn't a whole ton more than what I was paying in rent prior to purchasing, but I have so much less general spending cash now because anytime savings accumulates, there'salwayssomething house related to spend it on. Sucks.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>

smile.png
Do yourself a favor and make a good calendar of home maintenance. Air conditioning filter monthly, clean out the dishwasher drain catch thing monthly, if you have a well pump, does it need water softener? septic tank pump? etc.

smile.png

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
If you can't save up enough to put down at least 5-10%, you probably shouldn't own a house. There are a LOT of expenses that go with home ownership. If you can't save up a small amount, keep renting. Otherwise when that furnace goes out in the middle of winter or your refrigerator dies, you're going to be boned putting that kind of stuff on credit cards and slowly paying it off with no savings.

I guess the exception would be if you JUST got out of college and got a good job, your income just increased astronomically in the last year or less.

If you've been working the same job for a few years and you can't save up enough for 5-10% down, don't buy a house.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So the tile in my apartment kitchen floor needs to be replaced because the concrete under it is uneven. In order to replace it I had to call the apartment office TWICE because the first time they didn't pick up and I didn't feel like leaving a message. Apartment life is really hard...

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So the tile in my apartment kitchen floor needs to be replaced because the concrete under it is uneven. In order to replace it I had to call the apartment office TWICE because the first time they didn't pick up and I didn't feel like leaving a message. Apartment life is really hard...
How do you smith car bumpers in an apartment?

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, sometimes I miss apartment living.

Just refinanced to 15 years @ less than 2% (wife is in banking, so employee rate), payment went up $50/month. Hope to have it about paid off by the time both kids are out if high school so I can sell the damn thing, pay for college and find a used trailer I can put on about 40 acres. Just need access to good bandwidth.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
I lost about 10-20 hours of gaming a week with my first house. Congrats, have fun and the shit never ends! When I bought my house I had to do this:

1. Rip down wallpaper throughout the whole house.
  3. Rip up carpet in 4 rooms.
  4. Sand, Stain, Refinished hardwood floors in 3 rooms.
  5. Drywall damage walls.
  6. Resod some parts of my yard.
  7. Cut/Fit/Install new floor trim and install new crown molding in some places
  8. Install a new fridge.
  9. Powerwash the deck.
  10. Install a BBQ.

This was in the space of 2 months. good times.
Pffft.

We moved in with my wife's parents, basically. They are ~60 years old living in the fucking sticks and the house was big enough, even if a few hundred years old.

1. Ripped out all floors + shoveled out the dirt under the floorboards
  3. had to have the floors evened out to prevent stuff from rolling to the middle of the room
  4. drywall on 90% of walls
  5. Drywall on ceilings
  6. new electric installation
  7. new water / waste installation
  8. new heating installation
  9. new roof including the roof timbering
  10. new windows
  11. new doors

every room was ripped down to its skeleton and remodeled up, basically. all while working full time. get home from work, change clothes, drive out, get dirty, drive home late at night, shower, eat, sleep...
and that was only for the easy stuff we could do ourselves like shovel dirt... we had to have lots of stuff done by professionals obviously.

ate up all of 2011 and I only finished the kid's room in may 2012 (we left that to store lots of stuff and it was "the dirty room" for that time).
shit looks like new all around now.

a brand new mcmansion would have been cheaper. but this has charisma.
and we have the attic to finish... somewhat stuck at the moment, waiting for someone to move a heating component. it will be glorious when we're done.