Homeowners

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Where do you live? Your state Department of Children and Families will regulate daycare services and will have licensing standards that you need to adhere to.

You should get an inspection no matter what as soon as you sign the contract, but if you want to know before that, I don't know the best way other than your own observation while you're looking at the house.

We had questions about water as well due to a new gutter being put into a seemingly random place (with no drain cap in the yard anywhere) and part of the walkway in our backyard that runs along the side of the house sinking in. There was no visible sign of water damage (or mold) in the basement except what you might expect from a house that was almost 50 years old, but no foundation cracks or anything. We asked for clarification on water drainage in every letter our attorney sent them and their responses were pretty typical... backyard drains to an underground tile which drains out in the front yard, we haven't had any issues with water seepage/damage in the time we've lived here, etc. etc. Basically enough to not necessarily scare me but enough to cover their asses in case the slightest rainfall caused a huge flood in our basement and we sued them.

The seller apparently told one of the neighbors we had a lot of concerns about water drainage so the day we moved in he introduced himself and explained how the drainage system in the neighborhood worked because he heard we were concerned about it. He also said he hadn't seen or heard of any water damage in our house in the 20 years he's lived next door.

I would hope that you would be fine based on their disclosure but who knows. We had an easy close and our inspection didn't turn up anything major so I don't have any horror stories to relate.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Got my own homeowner questions:

Place my wife and I are looking at doesn't possibly have correct water drainage. The driveway slopes slightly downward towards the house and the land surrounding the house is pretty flat. There's about a foot's width of loose gravel between the driveway and the garage, which is possible for underground drainage tile, but I'm not sure. How can I check this without just asking the seller(who is biased) or getting the house inspected?

The property disclosure mentioned seepage under the front stairs during heavy downpour. It's a bi-level ranch on a cement foundation. I have checked the area and don't see any damage. The owners say a dehumidifier clears the moisture. Should I be concerned about this and how can I be sure before an inspection?

My wife wants to start an in-home daycare. Anyone have some rules and/or regulations for this type of specific business? We'd like to know before purchasing if a property is suitable for said business.
In regards to the drainage, I'd just pass, dude. There's a lot of things that are easy fixed, but water/seepage isn't one of them if the house isn't set up right from the beginning. If your house is graded properly and everything drains fine, you'll never see a drop of water in the basement. If it's not, it's almost impossible to correct and will be an issue until the day you sell the house. I would personally advise against it. I can tolerate a lot of things with a house, but any amount of water at all in the basement (or any evidence of it ever being there) is a complete and total no-go for me.

As far as the daycare goes, you're gonna want a full fenced in backyard. The rest are like Eyahusa said -- check your county/city website for information on specifics.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I live in NY, which seems to contract out the process of getting a home daycare started on a per county basis. My interactions with the one in my county has led me to believe they're just a bunch of lazy fucks, so I'd like to pursue other avenues for information if at all possible.

Thanks for the opinions on the water drainage. My opinion is to pass as well but the house is the best we've looked at so far, by far. Location, distance to work, already converted area for in-home business(they run a pet grooming business), backyard is fenced in, very well cared for a 40 year old house, more than enough room to grow into. Part of me thinks if we wait, we'll have to settle on a somewhat worse property.

Let's say there is inadequate water drainage. In a cement foundation, how would that manifest? Cracking, molding, what exactly should I be looking for if I go back to look again?

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
I live in NY, which seems to contract out the process of getting a home daycare started on a per county basis. My interactions with the one in my county has led me to believe they're just a bunch of lazy fucks, so I'd like to pursue other avenues for information if at all possible.

Thanks for the opinions on the water drainage. My opinion is to pass as well but the house is the best we've looked at so far, by far. Location, distance to work, already converted area for in-home business(they run a pet grooming business), backyard is fenced in, very well cared for a 40 year old house, more than enough room to grow into. Part of me thinks if we wait, we'll have to settle on a somewhat worse property.

Let's say there is inadequate water drainage. In a cement foundation, how would that manifest? Cracking, molding, what exactly should I be looking for if I go back to look again?
If the basement is finished, you're looking for water level signs...discolored areas. It will wick up the drywall, and you'll be able to see it pretty evidently that water has been there at some point. If it's not finished, it's harder to find, but you should still be able to see it on studs. Once you see it, you'll be able to identify it very quickly, water tends to leave a brown-ish tint to things when it's been there.

You might have to settle for a worse house, but at least you're not gonna need to worry about the basement flooding every time it rains. And I don't know the house and the situation, but I did pass on a house where the backyard sloped down towards the house. There weren't any overt signs of water entry, but water goes where it wants to go, and you're generally not going to be able to stop it. It seemed like a recipe for disaster down the road.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Also has your rent gone up over the past 10 years? It will continue to over the next 30 but your mortgage won't. There are other tradeoffs to home ownership that go both ways, though.
Your actual loan payment may not go up over 30 years, but your insurance and property taxes assuredly will.

Homeowners insurance rates are raising pretty drastically with most major companies across the US over the last couple years. Natural disasters, storms, and just generally volatile weather have had most property insurance companies taking major losses in the last few years. Previously, most companies didn't worry about running in the red on property insurance(most did) because they would make up for it with insurance from the auto insurance side of their business, but with the proliferation of primarly online auto insurance companies that don't sell property(Progressive, Esurance, Geico, etc), most traditional insurance companies(State Farm, Allstate, Farmers, etc) have had to cut auto insurance rates to compete, and their margins on that side aren't as big as they used to be, they can't make up for their property losses with auto insurance profits anymore.

Just last year in my state, Allstate took a 40% increase(on average) on homeowners insurance. I'm an insurance agent and so is my father. My father has been an agent for over 30 years, when he first started the average homeonwers insurance policy was around $200 per year. Now the average is about $1500 per year in our area. So if you are paying $1000 a year right now, expect that to go up a LOT over the next 30 years. You might be paying somewhere between 5-10 grand a year in 30 years if that trend continues.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Your actual loan payment may not go up over 30 years, but your insurance and property taxes assuredly will.

Homeowners insurance rates are raising pretty drastically with most major companies across the US over the last couple years. Natural disasters, storms, and just generally volatile weather have had most property insurance companies taking major losses in the last few years. Previously, most companies didn't worry about running in the red on property insurance(most did) because they would make up for it with insurance from the auto insurance side of their business, but with the proliferation of primarly online auto insurance companies that don't sell property(Progressive, Esurance, Geico, etc), most traditional insurance companies(State Farm, Allstate, Farmers, etc) have had to cut auto insurance rates to compete, and their margins on that side aren't as big as they used to be, they can't make up for their property losses with auto insurance profits anymore.

Just last year in my state, Allstate took a 40% increase(on average) on homeowners insurance. I'm an insurance agent and so is my father. My father has been an agent for over 30 years, when he first started the average homeonwers insurance policy was around $200 per year. Now the average is about $1500 per year in our area. So if you are paying $1000 a year right now, expect that to go up a LOT over the next 30 years. You might be paying somewhere between 5-10 grand a year in 30 years if that trend continues.
This is interesting and certainly something to consider. Personally my mortgage payment has gone down $100 over the years but I still pay more then the minimum out of habit. My homeowners insurance is (of course) separate and has gone up from $115/mo to about $140/mo but we did add a new car to our insurance package so that makes sense. Still if it were to go up to $200/mo I would be out there insurance shopping pretty fast. My own personal experience with Renting vs. Buying tells me I would be paying $1,500 or more right now to live in an apartment with my family in the good school area I live in right now and that is before throwing in any kind of insurance, home, car, renter's or otherwise.

Still I don't have a home on a floodplain, firebreak, or any of those other natural disaster prone areas so that probably contributes a lot towards my low and steady payments. This to should be a factor in buying a home or renting.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Got my own homeowner questions:

Place my wife and I are looking at doesn't possibly have correct water drainage. The driveway slopes slightly downward towards the house and the land surrounding the house is pretty flat. There's about a foot's width of loose gravel between the driveway and the garage, which is possible for underground drainage tile, but I'm not sure. How can I check this without just asking the seller(who is biased) or getting the house inspected?

The property disclosure mentioned seepage under the front stairs during heavy downpour. It's a bi-level ranch on a cement foundation. I have checked the area and don't see any damage. The owners say a dehumidifier clears the moisture. Should I be concerned about this and how can I be sure before an inspection?

My wife wants to start an in-home daycare. Anyone have some rules and/or regulations for this type of specific business? We'd like to know before purchasing if a property is suitable for said business.
You might have french drains, but there is no way to independently find out unless you can call up the contractor that put them in or whatever.

However, I would not buy that home. Water in the devil. Find something with better grading.

lindz

#DDs
A question about back yards. I've got a family of three little kids, so obviously back yards are important to us. We are just starting to look for our first home and a bit unsure how much we should prioritize the yard. If the house is great but the yard sucks, is it worth landscaping? What type of costs would we be looking at to landscape a backyard that is primarily rock and garden into a lawn?

iannis

Musty Nester
Taking down trees and pulling stumps is fairly expensive. Clean filldirt isn't that expensive by the truckload, but clean topsoil is. At least around here.

It kind of depends on what you need done exactly, how big the yard is, and what the market is like around there I guess. I know there are a few landscapers on the boards.

"Not insignificant". A few thousand at the very least, I would think. I did something similar with my uncle two springs ago, but it was jerking around on weekends and in the evenings. Besides for chipping the trees, the labor is really the most expensive part. Well, I mean, at least that's my experience of it.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
That will vary depending on where you live. Call up a local landscaper that does sodding, give them an approximate square footage and they'll tell you what the cost would be. I've never done it before, but they may have to do something for water drainage though as well depending on the grade of the land.

It's expensive regardless, (I have no idea how expensive) and it's not something you want to do in a new home unless you budget for it.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
You can just seed the shit if you want to go cheap. You don't need to go sod right away. Taking down trees is only expensive if they're too big for you to handle with a chainsaw. Stumps suck, but such is life.

I will say that lawn is highly overrated. It's just extra maintenance every week. I'd much rather start with a garden, they're great for kids too, teaches them a lot about sustainability and self sufficiency. You don't need THAT much of a lawn for them to play in. But the answer to your question really depends on what you start with, where you want to go, and how much sweat equity you want to put in. A yard is something very easy to do in chunks over the course of a few years.