Homesteading and Hobby Farm/Ranch

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Screenshotted>
Did a quick fish in my pond today. Pulled a few things out, I stocked it with bluegill, crappie, and perch. By next summer they will be big enough to eat. I can't wait to be able to fish on my own property and get enough to have an evenings fish fry. The pond is just over an acre and averages 10 feet deep. I have six solar fountains that I put in, and each of them draws water from about 250 feet away, so there is good water movement. It's clear to the bottom. It's far enough into my property and surrounded by trees that no one knows it's there, which is how I like it. Once the panfish are well established I hope to introduce either large mouth bass or walleye. Can't do both, it's not big enough. I have a 50 foot dock that goes out into the pond which is great for fishing, but I also have a little boat to go out if I want to. Every one of my kids loves fishing (essentially spending time together), but they also love eating it. I'm so glad I took the time to dig this. I was worried it would dry up in drought seasons, but once it filled up the water level hasn't dipped virtually at all.

I'm actually considering digging another pond to use for irrigation. My fruit and vegetable farming continues to grow, and my wells aren't going to be sufficient soon. I'm also considering planting about 3 acres of grapes to make my own wine. I'd have to clear forest, and it's all hardwood, but I'd be set for lumber and firewood for a long time. The soil is perfect, and the climate is about right, so next year's major grounds project might be to get the land prepared to plant vines in 2024.

The one thing that I'm worried about is this all getting beyond me. While I'm committed to producing food for us, and we're doing really well with that, I tend to go big. It might get to a point where I have to hire someone(s) to maintain stuff. Keeping weeds down, trimming vines, trimming fruit trees, blah blah blah. I'm still working on my house, too. I have a bunch of cabinetry to be making, and two bathrooms to redo. I don't want staff, but it might be inevitable with the trajectory I'm on.

What do you guys think? Worth it to have a "farm hand" to help with animals and food production?
Do you have a full time job that isn’t this? Then yes absolutely find help. My operation is maybe a quarter at best the size of yours and the best thing I did was hire a landscaping business the works in edible landscape (fruit trees, etc, not weed) and it’s taken an insane load off. They know their shit so they aren’t just ripping good stuff out of my food forest because it looks like weeds.

note that this is a LEGIT business. Last year I hired some 22 year old to help me. Guy ended up being flakey and couldn’t understand the idea of prioritizing duties I gave him from a list. So as others said maybe not a full time farm hand but something similar to my setup?

Also have you documented any of this build? Would be curious to see it. Sounds pretty legit.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Screenshotted>
We do burns all the time. Right now it's too dry. I usually start a burn early in the AM on a day I know it's going to rain once it gets going rain makes no difference but I can leave it without worrying about it. Last one we did, had stumps burning days later still glowing inside. We have some monstrous piles again for whenever this dry spell breaks.

Part of new Road, connecting upper fields with lower field
View attachment 489610

2 days after fire:
View attachment 489611

I have a grapple on tractor I use to just pull brush out into burn area in field
View attachment 489612View attachment 489613

I continue to try to make sure all the groundhogs on the property receive their 22lr vaccine injection.
View attachment 489614View attachment 489615View attachment 489616
Which Kubota and grapple are you running?

The_Black_Log Foler

<Screenshotted>
My question would be, is it some kind of quick easy hook up point I can get plumbed, because I dont think I"d want to leave the generator sitting around. Not sure if it's a basic plug to then hook into a transfer switch, and then I'd be worried about whether it works such that it's not going to fuck up my tv's etc. (I'd turn everything off, but some things like to auto on if not shut down and suddenly get power back)

I hate electricity, so I also dont know how to compare the watts of portable gen's with the permanant ones being in KWH. They were trying to say 20k would be about maxed out on my space etc though I think that's not being fair to how much I wouldn't be using as I intended it for not freezing than trying to run comforts.

Yeah, just get someone to put the transfer plug in, and you'll be able to roll a portable generator right out to that spot and plug it in. If you're not using it, you can store it wherever

What dirk said except get the biggest portable generator you can afford… I have a 9500w dual fuel champion and once I did a 30amp transfer switch I immediately realized I wish I had gotten their 12k Tri fuel model.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
Not sure if the right thread, but anyone have advice on a lawn tractor?. I'm in that zone where the yard is too big for a self propelled walk behind mower and zero turn machine is a waste for just half an acre, so lawn tractor seems the best option even though it still seems kind of overkill. Thinking John Deere S100/110, but honestly don't know shit about the various brands.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Not sure if the right thread, but anyone have advice on a lawn tractor?. I'm in that zone where the yard is too big for a self propelled walk behind mower and zero turn machine is a waste for just half an acre, so lawn tractor seems the best option even though it still seems kind of overkill. Thinking John Deere S100/110, but honestly don't know shit about the various brands.
Are you just mowing or do you plan on towing a dump cart, aerator, spreader, etc.? Do you have any thicker brush or lawn you mow that you need the power to cut through? Are you planning on mulching only or bagging? These things dictate certain hp and therefore size questions.

I would either get the cheapest big box special (sub 2k), or go to a power equipment store and go to the quality tier (2500-3500) that has things like a welded deck, more go to chop through more grass at speed, etc.

The green tax is rarely worth it IMO, you can sometimes find ok deals but I went with Cub Cadet. MTD makes decent stuff at the right price tier, but they are not available at big box stores you have to go to a PE dealer.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>

For that small I would just get a cub cadet 48" deck and just take care of it. They aren't built to stand up to harsher conditions but for what you want it will get the job done. Just keep up on filter and oil changes they aren't that hard to do once you watch a youtube video. This is for FL? So you never really have much of an "off" season to worry about a gas engine sitting too long. The deck steel is junk but you can protect it by not letting rotting grass be stuck up under the deck, so make sure you get a model that has the nozzle to fit a hose to blow out the grass underneath the deck. I'd also still just get the zero turn version. I spend so much on equipment that these numbers seem rather meh but to me the $6k zero turn is worth it over the $4k tractor.

Or be a boss and get a proper diesel machine like a man and pay $25k :)

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Also keep in mind that in the low end lawn tractor segment most of the machines are assembled from a complete menagerie of parts and there are just a few different engines that are you used.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Which Kubota and grapple are you running?
L6060
Virnig URG66-CT Root Rake

..edit look at me inflating my post count! maybe a post for each sentence and I can start hitting the big boy numbers

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
Are you just mowing or do you plan on towing a dump cart, aerator, spreader, etc.? Do you have any thicker brush or lawn you mow that you need the power to cut through? Are you planning on mulching only or bagging? These things dictate certain hp and therefore size questions.

I would either get the cheapest big box special (sub 2k), or go to a power equipment store and go to the quality tier (2500-3500) that has things like a welded deck, more go to chop through more grass at speed, etc.

The green tax is rarely worth it IMO, you can sometimes find ok deals but I went with Cub Cadet. MTD makes decent stuff at the right price tier, but they are not available at big box stores you have to go to a PE dealer.
Cub Cadet runs about the same as the Deere for the low end models ($2400-ish). I got half an acre of just grass and its flat. By next spring I will have the pool taking up some of that so the mow size will shrink. I cant find any big box versions under $2k. All of them start at $1999 - $2100 for the entry levels.

Then I see the Deere Z315E zero turn for $3100 and wonder if I should just spend the extra $700 and get the zero turn even though its totally overkill for my yard.

Honestly its just my yard is in the tweener size where one is overkill and the other is not enough.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
Also keep in mind that in the low end lawn tractor segment most of the machines are assembled from a complete menagerie of parts and there are just a few different engines that are you used.
Yeah I did notice that they are either running the same Briggs and Stratton or another engine I cant recall.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
For that small I would just get a cub cadet 48" deck and just take care of it. They aren't built to stand up to harsher conditions but for what you want it will get the job done. Just keep up on filter and oil changes they aren't that hard to do once you watch a youtube video. This is for FL? So you never really have much of an "off" season to worry about a gas engine sitting too long. The deck steel is junk but you can protect it by not letting rotting grass be stuck up under the deck, so make sure you get a model that has the nozzle to fit a hose to blow out the grass underneath the deck. I'd also still just get the zero turn version. I spend so much on equipment that these numbers seem rather meh but to me the $6k zero turn is worth it over the $4k tractor.

Or be a boss and get a proper diesel machine like a man and pay $25k :)
You both mentioned Cub Cadet. I had never heard of them until I saw them at the stores.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Cub Cadet is one of the MTD brands. While the lower series are at big box stores the nicer ones are at the PE dealers.

Also, all else being equal if it's just grass I would consider a ZT. I only bought a tractor because I needed to do a bit more landscape work and it's not all flat.

You also have to decide what your time is worth, both for mowing speed and maintenance schedule and reliability. I would more highly recommend the closest dealer that does right by their customers over any other option regardless of brand or type. With prices where they are you can't buy a $799 3 season special anymore outside of Craigslist.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
Cub Cadet is one of the MTD brands. While the lower series are at big box stores the nicer ones are at the PE dealers.

Also, all else being equal if it's just grass I would consider a ZT. I only bought a tractor because I needed to do a bit more landscape work and it's not all flat.

You also have to decide what your time is worth, both for mowing speed and maintenance schedule and reliability. I would more highly recommend the closest dealer that does right by their customers over any other option regardless of brand or type. With prices where they are you can't buy a $799 3 season special anymore outside of Craigslist.
MTD brands?

The other thing about a tractor is that I am 6'3 and all leg. Even with the seat back they don't seem built for people my height.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
MTD brands?

The other thing about a tractor is that I am 6'3 and all leg. Even with the seat back they don't seem built for people my height.
MTD makes most of the big box specials and regional brands like Troy Bilt, Bolens, Craftsman and Ryobi at times, Arnold, Yard-Man, Yard Machines, Toro (tractors), Murray, etc. A lot have come and gone and been produced under agreement.

A lot of Briggs and Stratton (which are ok if finicky), but they do make the nicer units with Kohler or Kawasaki engines.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
One benefit to the JD if you have a dealership nearby you can go there and get parts or advice on problems and even have mechanics work on it if you're willing to pay the shop rate. Hopefully you won't be doing that a lot but if you get one from Home Depot you're pretty much on your own once you swipe your credit card.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
MTD makes most of the big box specials and regional brands like Troy Bilt, Bolens, Craftsman and Ryobi at times, Arnold, Yard-Man, Yard Machines, Toro (tractors), Murray, etc. A lot have come and gone and been produced under agreement.

A lot of Briggs and Stratton (which are ok if finicky), but they do make the nicer units with Kohler or Kawasaki engines.
So MTD is the General Motors of lawn mowers?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So MTD is the General Motors of lawn mowers?
Yea basically but that means they have a lot of aftermarket (e.g. baggers, blades, etc.).

Again, depends what you're after. I don't regret spending the extra grand to get a welded mowing deck, LED headlights that actually work, comfier chair, bigger more reliable engine, better tires, nice hydrostatic transmission that makes driving one pedal, dealer who will repair stuff if needed, quick detach PTO and deck, nicer bagger, etc.

If I'm going to keep it running for 10 years min, the extra $100 a year to fiddle fuck with a rotting deck or bad carb or having to shift 3792 times every mow (I just screamed internally at bad memories), just ain't worth it.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
Yea basically but that means they have a lot of aftermarket (e.g. baggers, blades, etc.).

Again, depends what you're after. I don't regret spending the extra grand to get a welded mowing deck, LED headlights that actually work, comfier chair, bigger more reliable engine, better tires, nice hydrostatic transmission that makes driving one pedal, dealer who will repair stuff if needed, quick detach PTO and deck, nicer bagger, etc.

If I'm going to keep it running for 10 years min, the extra $100 a year to fiddle fuck with a rotting deck or bad carb or having to shift 3792 times every mow (I just screamed internally at bad memories), just ain't worth it.
This is the first yard I have had too big for a walk behind mower. 1st world problems.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
This is the first yard I have had too big for a walk behind mower. 1st world problems.
You can come mowing with me for a week to feel better about tackling it. I hope I just did my last mowing of the season, I love operating equipment but it has moved from solidly into the not fun side of the ledger. I really want a 12-15' wide mower next year but it's another $30k attachment and would take up a shit ton of room if I wanted to store it inside.

• 1Mother of God

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I think we need more pics of what you're mowing and plowing, Blazin Blazin - equipment too.

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users