Homesteading and Hobby Farm/Ranch

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I feed chickens with PVC pipe with an elbow at the bottom and it works quite well. I had a feeder for meet birds in chicken tractor that was similar and I had to push the feed down all the time.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Screenshotted>
I feed chickens with PVC pipe with an elbow at the bottom and it works quite well. I had a feeder for meet birds in chicken tractor that was similar and I had to push the feed down all the time.
What feed are you using? Crumbles or pellets?

The_Black_Log Foler

<Screenshotted>
Gotcha. Ok I think I can switch these lil birdies to pellets in like 2 weeks. They should start laying any day now

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I don't know where to ask this, but this thread seemed like a good bet.

Anyone have recommendations for a 4-wheeler for a 5 year old? Electric would be great if there are decent ones, but I don't mind a 4-stroke either. I just don't want any of the plastic tire / plastic handlebar shit I've seen at the big box stores. We're not going to do anything too crazy with it, but I do want her to be able to ride it on some easy rural trails.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Screenshotted>

Anyone have recommendations for a 4-wheeler for a 5 year old? Electric would be great if there are decent ones, but I don't mind a 4-stroke either. I just don't want any of the plastic tire / plastic handlebar shit I've seen at the big box stores. We're not going to do anything too crazy with it, but I do want her to be able to ride it on some easy rural trails.
No idea what your experience is with ATVs.. My buddy just got a canam outlander 850. He put it on my property since he lives in suburbia. I now see how people can get reallyyyy fucked up on these things..

The warning label aside - I own a canam defender UTV and loved my buddy’s canam outlander. Obviously the outlander is too much for a kid that small but check out what other canam offerings there are.

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>

1915341-00-A_1_2000_jpg.png

Be sure to get the matching jacket.

• 2Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
Lowes just dropped the price on the JD S110 lawn tractor about 12% to $2199 (from $2499) and it has free delivery. Thinking this is gonna be the purchase.

I checked and their is a local JD dealer in case I have any warranty issues that come up.

1698079742210.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Lowes just dropped the price on the JD S110 lawn tractor about 12% to $2199 (from $2499) and it has free delivery. Thinking this is gonna be the purchase.

I checked and their is a local JD dealer in case I have any warranty issues that come up.

View attachment 496762
That's the one I have, along with the bagger. Haven't had a single issue with it. It's a little on the gutless side, but I have 0.7ac of flat ground so no worries at all.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
That's the one I have, along with the bagger. Haven't had a single issue with it. It's a little on the gutless side, but I have 0.7ac of flat ground so no worries at all.
I have 0.5 of flat myself so I dont need it climbing hills or tearing out stumps. Thanks.

• 1Like

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Not sure if the right thread, but anyone have advice on a lawn tractor?. I'm in that zone where the yard is too big for a self propelled walk behind mower and zero turn machine is a waste for just half an acre, so lawn tractor seems the best option even though it still seems kind of overkill. Thinking John Deere S100/110, but honestly don't know shit about the various brands.

Husqvarna. I switched almost all of my outdoor shit over to them. Well built, good options, no issues.

IMG_20130608_173120-2.jpg

Bonus - they fit anywhere!

That mower is 10 years old now, zero issues. I use it as a tractor for moving firewood and hauling shit as well.

• 2Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Screenshotted>
Picked up my bb2566 box blade. Dealer is still waiting for all the parts for top and tilt.

Experienced tractor folks - I realize box blade has a steep learning curve but have you found it to do good for finish grading?

Im wondering if I should look into a grading scraping as well… I need was to regrade part of the property that’s on about of a 8 degree decline.

Larnix

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm a little late to the yard talk, but here's my 2 cents. I have .48 of an acre of mostly flat yard and I recently bought a cub cadet 42" ZT They were running a 0% for 3 year loan. I added the bagger and mulch kit for 3.5k. It's definitely overkill for my yard but it cut down my time from my push mower taking 2 hours vs the ZT taking roughly 40 minutes that includes blowing all the loose grass off the driveway.

Before that I had 42" craftsmen lawn tractor that was gifted to me, honestly it felt like more work muscling the lawn tractor around then just using my push mower. The LT blew up on me a few years ago and I just used my push mower for the next few years.

Once you're comfortable operating a ZT they are a blast and you can go much faster then even on a LT. I've since added 2 sheds (10x12 & 10×14) and a bigger deck taking away more if my yard but I still love my ZT and how quickly I can mow the yard.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Screenshotted>
Been grappling like crazy the past week. Only shitty part about a tractor is sometimes shit can fall out of grapple, you don’t see and it whomp, run over it.

For whatever reason Kubota has no skid plates. Why I don’t know. Log bent my step. I was super rustled over it because I’m a perfectionist but after reading some forums I think this is more of a tractor right of passage. So I kinda bent it back and calling it “unique character”

I will say I’m so glad my mower setup is utv + pull. Utv has skid plates and I just run over shit that’s 10 ft tall to mow it. Dunno how tractor folks mow areas that are more woody..

IMG_4062.jpeg

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Mother of God

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Been grappling like crazy the past week. Only shitty part about a tractor is sometimes shit can fall out of grapple, you don’t see and it whomp, run over it.

For whatever reason Kubota has no skid plates. Why I don’t know. Log bent my step. I was super rustled over it because I’m a perfectionist but after reading some forums I think this is more of a tractor right of passage. So I kinda bent it back and calling it “unique character”

I will say I’m so glad my mower setup is utv + pull. Utv has skid plates and I just run over shit that’s 10 ft tall to mow it. Dunno how tractor folks mow areas that are more woody..

View attachment 497826
Holy shit he has a photo of something loosely corroborating his post.

Also, what's the best way to do light deer protection on some arbor vitaes? Last year they got a little too hungry.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Screenshotted>
Holy shit he has a photo of something loosely corroborating his post.

Also, what's the best way to do light deer protection on some arbor vitaes? Last year they got a little too hungry.
Ok so to preface, my deer pressure is insane. They play by the river all day lately which is about 40 ft from my nursery. If you want something temp to buy time then try orbit yard enforcers. I have 4 temporarily protecting about 40 fruit trees in my nursery.

Once these are planted I’ll do 8’ tall deerbuster pvc coated steel hex fence on wood posts. I’ll then install electric fence insulators that are about 1-2” offset from fence. Most likely 2-3 wires. These will be for the black bears.

For deer you can do 8 ft fence or 3d fence or hedge. 3d fence is you run two small fences, usually just wire and it makes them all screwy because they can’t judge distance. Hedge - well, deer typically don’t like to jump over shit if they can’t see the other side.

You can order samples from deerbusters. I’ve been happy so far with my interactions with them so I’ll be going with their fencing.

edit - slaughtering them also works I hear. Unfortunately the juice isn’t worth the squeeze as my property has development around it.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Ok so to preface, my deer pressure is insane. They play by the river all day lately which is about 40 ft from my nursery. If you want something temp to buy time then try orbit yard enforcers. I have 4 temporarily protecting about 40 fruit trees in my nursery.

Once these are planted I’ll do 8’ tall deerbuster pvc coated steel hex fence on wood posts. I’ll then install electric fence insulators that are about 1-2” offset from fence. Most likely 2-3 wires. These will be for the black bears.

For deer you can do 8 ft fence or 3d fence or hedge. 3d fence is you run two small fences, usually just wire and it makes them all screwy because they can’t judge distance. Hedge - well, deer typically don’t like to jump over shit if they can’t see the other side.

You can order samples from deerbusters. I’ve been happy so far with my interactions with them so I’ll be going with their fencing.

I feel like I don't need anything that high because theses are right next to the house, they couldn't actually jump over it. I was thinking of just some wooden stakes sorta thing around them.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Screenshotted>
I feel like I don't need anything that high because theses are right next to the house, they couldn't actually jump over it. I was thinking of just some wooden stakes sorta thing around them.
I don’t know what you mean by jump over. You’d be surprised what they will jump over. They jump over the electric fence around my chicken coop and there’s maybe 2 ft of space between electric and coop.

I mean if what you say is true and they can’t jump over then just do any fencing? Id just be wary… Deer will get it if they want it.

Alternatively plant a sacrificial crop nearby. This has helped me quite a bit. They love to eat my Bahia grass.