Homesteading and Hobby Farm/Ranch

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Foler Foler
How many chickens are you looking to get? You live alone, right? So you don't need 30 eggs a day. If you're looking at just a handful of chickens it is entirely possible to make a coup that you can move around the yard (keep your lawn healthy). But if you're looking for something more substantial I 100% agree that something off the ground is the way to go. Make it big enough that they all get into it easily. We shut our chickens away at night. They get their evening feeding in the chicken house, and then we shut them in. We have a chicken wire outdoor coup, but ours often wander the property during the day. Not as much right now because a family of foxes has moved in. I buried the chicken wire 8" down on all sides, and stapled it to old railroad ties which we then buried. We then put another railroad tie on top of that which is above ground, making the entire parameter very sturdy at the ground level.

Separate and apart from that I have 40 laying hens in laying cages that are entirely enclosed in an indoor coup. That's strictly for eggs.

I'd advise against putting it too close to the house, because they can be noisy, even just hens. And maybe for the first time in a matter of this sort, I must disagree with BrutulTM BrutulTM . I think you need to put a mesh wire top on your outdoor area because you have plenty of birds in your area that will make a tasty meal of your chickens. If you want to be super safe you can make your outdoor area under your coop, fence it in, make you chicken coop four feet high, and have a ramp for them to get into the coop. It's a compact plan with plenty of safety benefits. Something like this, but not so silly:

WilliamsSonoma-dbdb429c265040e89ce2e8d11516ffda.jpg

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Good lord man that sounds like a lot of work.

Our chicken run is just chicken wire on a wood frame. No wooden roof needed, its covered with chicken wire on top. We do put a shade cloth on top, for shade.

The chicken house I built is about 8x8, raised off the ground. That made a big difference, nothing can burrow in if its not on the ground. We havent lost many chickens since I built this. Only issue we had was a fox, those little fuckers are smart, but after trapping that we havent had any more.

We've kept 10-20 chickens this way for years in an area with plenty of smaller predators. We don't have bears on my property so I can't speak to that.

My little brother in VA just had a bear eat a bunch of his chickens, so I guess that is a thing. Hard to imagine bear proofing a chicken run though.

Raising it off the ground is a good idea. You don't need to keep wood shavings down for them. They sleep on roosts, not on the floor so it doesn't matter if there's crap on the floor. I've even seen coops where they put chicken wire for the floor under the roosts so the shit just falls out on the ground. In the winter we put straw in to help them stay warm but that won't be an issue for you.

Do make sure that the coop has good ventilation but the windows can be closed during storms/high winds/etc. Also think about how you're going to shovel it out periodically. You don't want to be crawling around on your hands and knees in chicken shit to clean it. One of our coops has a 5' 8" ceiling and it's fucking torture for me at 6' 2" to shovel that thing out hunched over all the time.

Chain link is probably overkill compared to what most people do for a run but it will certainly get the job done. You don't need a roof over the whole run but do put something out there that they can get under for shade.

Yaaa I have tons of bear, coyotes, bobcats, hawks etc on the daily so overkill is better. Open to electric perimeter as well. Rather overdo it first then redo it later.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Foler Foler
How many chickens are you looking to get? You live alone, right? So you don't need 30 eggs a day. If you're looking at just a handful of chickens it is entirely possible to make a coup that you can move around the yard (keep your lawn healthy). But if you're looking for something more substantial I 100% agree that something off the ground is the way to go. Make it big enough that they all get into it easily. We shut our chickens away at night. They get their evening feeding in the chicken house, and then we shut them in. We have a chicken wire outdoor coup, but ours often wander the property during the day. Not as much right now because a family of foxes has moved in. I buried the chicken wire 8" down on all sides, and stapled it to old railroad ties which we then buried. We then put another railroad tie on top of that which is above ground, making the entire parameter very sturdy at the ground level.

Separate and apart from that I have 40 laying hens in laying cages that are entirely enclosed in an indoor coup. That's strictly for eggs.

I'd advise against putting it too close to the house, because they can be noisy, even just hens. And maybe for the first time in a matter of this sort, I must disagree with BrutulTM BrutulTM . I think you need to put a mesh wire top on your outdoor area because you have plenty of birds in your area that will make a tasty meal of your chickens. If you want to be super safe you can make your outdoor area under your coop, fence it in, make you chicken coop four feet high, and have a ramp for them to get into the coop. It's a compact plan with plenty of safety benefits. Something like this, but not so silly:

WilliamsSonoma-dbdb429c265040e89ce2e8d11516ffda.jpg
Probably 3-6. Wonder if that would one in the image would hold up to my predators. Would be nice to buy something that’s a kit and give it a try to see if any predators get in.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Probably 3-6. Wonder if that would one in the image would hold up to my predators. Would be nice to buy something that’s a kit and give it a try to see if any predators get in.
Yeah, for just a few like that a kit like that would be ideal. And if you use heavy gauge wire around the bottom you'd have no trouble with coyotes, hawks, or bobcats. Probably okay for bears, too, especially if the chickens roost inside at night, but bears are going to do what bears are going to do.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, for just a few like that a kit like that would be ideal. And if you use heavy gauge wire around the bottom you'd have no trouble with coyotes, hawks, or bobcats. Probably okay for bears, too, especially if the chickens roost inside at night, but bears are going to do what bears are going to do.
Gonna look into this today. I’m willing to give this a shot before I construct a Foler’s Chicken Gitmo.

How far away from the house are you talking btw? I was thinking 100 yards

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
lurkingdirk lurkingdirk also do you think you genuinely save money on eggs with your chickens? You have a whole family but I’m just one person. Sure it wouldn’t be much money but I enjoy the idea of self sustainability

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Anyone use electric fencing? Think I may use some for letting them out during the day

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
lurkingdirk lurkingdirk also do you think you genuinely save money on eggs with your chickens? You have a whole family but I’m just one person. Sure it wouldn’t be much money but I enjoy the idea of self sustainability
I feed a family of 5 on our eggs. I think our feed costs and egg costs break even more or less. Its not about saving money, its about quality and independence.

A homegrown egg is as different from those garbage supermarket eggs as a homegrown vine ripened tomato is from those garbage plastic things in the store. Now when I crack an egg from the grocery store I'm like wtf is wrong with this egg.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

With just a few like you'll be having you will likely pay more for your eggs in the short term, but give it a couple years and you should at LEAST break even. But as Aldarion Aldarion said, the quality of the eggs is so much better that you'll find yourself wincing when it happens that you have to buy store bought eggs. It's an interesting thing to try. Get two plates, white if possible, crack a home grown egg onto one, and a store bought on the other. The visible differences are striking, and the taste reflects that.

We certainly don't need as many eggs as we get every day. It's a little business one of my sons is making. Getting about 40 eggs a day (give or take) gets us about 20 dozen a week. He sells the eggs for $3.50 to stupid rich people who want farm fresh and local and are willing to pay for it. So that's about $70 a week he makes with not a huge amount of work. About an hour a week shoveling shit, daily feeding, general maintenance. Our own eggs come from the birds that are free range. When my son goes to college I'll probably get rid of the layers.

• 2Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Gonna look into this today. I’m willing to give this a shot before I construct a Foler’s Chicken Gitmo.

How far away from the house are you talking btw? I was thinking 100 yards

100 yards should be fine if you're not getting roosters. If you are, be prepared for early morning wake ups. I have roosters because I breed some of my chickens.

• 2Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Anyone use electric fencing? Think I may use some for letting them out during the day

My girlfriend uses that electric mesh stuff. It works well and she doesn't usually even turn it on. I think the electricity is more to keep other things out than to keep the chickens in. Very easy to move except for the charger needing a ground rod. If it's an option go with the plug-in fence charger. The cheap solar ones are pretty useless.

7253.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
How much heat or insulation is required for chickens to survive the winter?

Prolly gonna to build acoop in the next few weeks

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Winter where? They can take it pretty cold but if it gets below zero they will lose toes and combs to frostbite. Our chicken house isn't very insulated. Just 1x8s for siding and we cover the windows with plastic in winter but they need a couple of heat lamps when it's really cold. They don't die but they do get frostbitten without them.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
How much heat or insulation is required for chickens to survive the winter?

Prolly gonna to build acoop in the next few weeks

You don't really need a lot of insulation unless you're in Alaska or something. Drop a few inches of straw on the floor and they'll get into that and be just fine. If I were building new I'd probably put some 1.5 inch styrofoam insulation around the walls and ceiling, but if you insulate, make sure you can ventilate it well in the hot months.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Never been a problem but I'm sure that building has plenty of leaks besides the windows.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Looking around, seems like I can spend 300$ and about a hour putting together a prefab, or about 300$ and a day or two building one?..