Homesteading and Hobby Farm/Ranch

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
UTV should be ready to go by end of next week. My current single axle utility trailer can’t carry the load. Time to buy another trailer… Thinking 16x6 aluminum. Maybe aluma.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Nope, I am doing steel beams to get some larger spans that I need. The price of a metal stud to a 2x4 sure is damn close though.

Wait, what?

Steel beams for living room etc?

And metal stud to replace typical 2x4s in framing? Did you look into those as items, or ask the contractor?

Curious because if the market stays up through Sept, I might sell the house I bought last year, buy land, and start my bunker / garage bay etc.

Figure worst case is the wife divorces me over it, and I get to keep the bunker etc. So win / win.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Wait, what?

Steel beams for living room etc?

And metal stud to replace typical 2x4s in framing? Did you look into those as items, or ask the contractor?

Curious because if the market stays up through Sept, I might sell the house I bought last year, buy land, and start my bunker / garage bay etc.

Figure worst case is the wife divorces me over it, and I get to keep the bunker etc. So win / win.
No steel beams to support the floor joists for the first floor. We have basements in the NE not sure if you do. ANd yes you can use metal studs in replacement of 2x4 stick framing, and no I'm looking at prices myself. Normally nobody would ever do this other than code requiring it, like for a commercial building or an apt complex as prior to hoax flu communist supply constraints it would cost 30% more.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
UTV should be ready to go by end of next week. My current single axle utility trailer can’t carry the load. Time to buy another trailer… Thinking 16x6 aluminum. Maybe aluma.
Just buy a tilt bed car hauler. Much more versatile.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
No steel beams to support the floor joists for the first floor. We have basements in the NE not sure if you do

Yeah, didnt think about for the first floor. Figured you were putting in some baller great room and wanted a huge span. Lol

So lumber has gotten high enough you can build a steel framed house for near the same cost? Fucking madness.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Blazin Blazin you tow your trailer? How much does it weigh?
Best equipment/versatility trailer imo are just flatbed utility trailers. You can get them from 12' to 20'L great for loads that are in the <10,000lb range.
Deluxe-Equipment-Trailer.jpeg

Currently trying to get my hands on a new 22 Tundra inventories just starting to come in.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Best equipment/versatility trailer imo are just flatbed utility trailers. You can get them from 12' to 20'L great for loads that are in the <10,000lb range.
View attachment 395519

Currently trying to get my hands on a new 22 Tundra inventories just starting to come in.
Yeah but I need to store it outside (aluminum) and I like the idea of sides as to help shit just a tad from flying off. This is the one I’m currently looking at. Question is size - already have 12x6.. Always better to buy more than you need real estate speaking, figured at least 16x6 would make the purchase worth buying a second, maybe do a 18x6

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
The wood on those rots faster than you want it to. Lol
You’d be surprised. I have a steel utility trailer with wood that’s 15-18 years old. Probably only sat 8 of those years indoors. Has cosmetic rust but wood is good. Probably could use a sand and reseal now that we’re talking about it tho. Wouldn’t hurt..

edit - however from what I’ve read my case seems to be the exception.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
By "more versatile" I mean you can haul more than 5000 lbs. More options = More versatile.

And those wood floors will last 20+ years easily. We have a trailer that's older than me and has never been indoors in its life nor has it been sanded or sealed and the wood deck is just fine.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
By "more versatile" I mean you can haul more than 5000 lbs. More options = More versatile.

And those wood floors will last 20+ years easily. We have a trailer that's older than me and has never been indoors in its life nor has it been sanded or sealed and the wood deck is just fine.
Ahh ya. I gotcha - ya I mean definitely love more than 5k - currently trailer is capped at 2k. Payload capacity on that aluma is 5.5k - pretty damn good. Only thing that I guess I think could put me over is tons of dirt, sod, or maybe a large tree(???). Now that you mention it I should see how much weight UTV + 2x atvs is. I know my UTV will be around 2k.

yeah I’m surprised how long these wood floors last… I’ll leave yard trash in the trailer for a month, scoop it out, boards dry up and look just fine.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I've put 6 ATVs on our trailer, or the side by side and 3 ATVs. Also if you ever want to rent a skid steer or a mini excavator or whatever you can haul that too. I was going to build some wooden sides for mine but I haven't had a job I wanted to do bad enough yet, not that it would be hard. This is the one I have and it gets tons of use. 24 footer.

T6-6-inch-channel-equipment-tilt-trailer.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I've put 6 ATVs on our trailer, or the side by side and 3 ATVs. Also if you ever want to rent a skid steer or a mini excavator or whatever you can haul that too. I was going to build some wooden sides for mine but I haven't had a job I wanted to do bad enough yet, not that it would be hard. This is the one I have and it gets tons of use. 24 footer.

View attachment 395528
Shittttttt. Now that’s something I didn’t think about - renting a skid steer or excavator which could be something definitely possible… Great point! How much do those things usually weigh, what’s the payload capacity on your trailer and what specific trailer do you have? What was the cost?

edit - you may have me convinced. Only time I can think I need siding is when I’m hauling yard trash around the property - branches, trees etc. However if I keep my 12x6 (which I’m going to do) then that’ll fill this roll fine. I think you could stack piles of sod on the tilt bed with no sides and just tie it down fine too(?) so maybe my concerns are unwarranted.

Last edited:

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
How the hell are you guys getting that much longevity out of the wood on those trailers?

Is it climate?

We replaced ours twice in a decade.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
How the hell are you guys getting that much longevity out of the wood on those trailers?

Is it climate?

We replaced ours twice in a decade.
No idea tbh. Mines lived in florida.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Do you guys have a place online where you order soil sample kits to send in? I want to test my soil nutrients and for things like nematodes.