Homeworld 3

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Wintermute

<Charitable Administrator>

Will likely end up as an Epic exclusive due to being a gearbox thing

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Deserts of kharack was a mess for years and still had issues. Some other drama I forget. So a tad skeptical.

I don't think I've truly enjoyed an fps since I think some of warcraft 3. :(

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Deserts of kharack was a mess for years and still had issues. Some other drama I forget. So a tad skeptical.

I don't think I've truly enjoyed an fps since I think some of warcraft 3. :(
Fps?
Did you play battle for middle earth 2? Probably my favorite RTS since total annhilation.

OneofOne

Homeworld yay
Q4 2022 boo
Kickstarter funding boo

Epic only boo

Very interested but by no means a guaranteed buy, so early in developement.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So a trailer was released for this;

Looks like Sjet is no longer jacked into the matrix? Hope that doesnt mean theyre trying to make her a more singular protagonist.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Hopefully they drop the Deserts of Kharak stuff and focus back on the roots of the series.

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Hopefully they drop the Deserts of Kharak stuff and focus back on the roots of the series.

Deserts of Kharak played through the roots of the series. It was lifted straight out of the original Homeworld's 120-page manual/lorebook. All the kiith were in there and it elaborated on the central conflict prior to Homeworld 1 exactly as it was described in that book; the North went into space, violating the terms of the ancient treaty, and the religious southerners declared war.

If you never played through it, it's worth watching all the cutscenes on youtube. It was pretty great though and it'll get you hyped for a HW:Remastered playthrough.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
You mean an unforgiving campaign that penalizes you for every unit loss and becomes unbeatable even under prior 100% battle win conditions?

Sorry, I am still carrying around a lot of baggage from the original release. I am not a good RTS player.

• 1Worf

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
You mean an unforgiving campaign that penalizes you for every loss and becomes unbeatable even under prior 100% battle win conditions?

Sorry, I am still carrying around a lot of baggage from the original release. I am not a good RTS player.
Are you referring to HW1 or Kharak? Neither were that tough, just gotta be super frugal with your resources and capture as many of the enemy ships as you can. It was unlike any other RTS campaign in that way.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Are you referring to HW1 or Kharak? Neither were that tough, just gotta be super frugal with your resources and capture as many of the enemy ships as you can. It was unlike any other RTS campaign in that way.
The original original. I bought it on release and that first mission against an enemy capital ship was always brutal - to the point where you can win and then not win again because of your losses. I beat it eventually, but therapy helped me through the worst of it.

• 1Worf

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
You mean an unforgiving campaign that penalizes you for every unit loss and becomes unbeatable even under prior 100% battle win conditions?

I do. Probably one of my most memorable gaming experiences was beating Homeworld at like 2am and hearing Yes play over the credits. Even 20 years later I can still remember that dorm room in college and the monitor and corner of the bedroom my computer was set in. Anyways...

Deserts just did nothing for me gameplay wise. After years (a decade?) of no Homeworld it was just really unfulfilling. Lore wise sure, sure. But the ground based RTS was just bad.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
I expect the gameplay for HW3 to be something like an evolution of HW2 with Deserts' refinements on balance and mobility. I can't imagine them straying too far from that core, to be honest.

I really enjoyed Deserts so I'm looking forward to it, but if Deserts' gameplay did nothing for you I don't know if a competent continuation of the story will be enough to carry the game.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I do. Probably one of my most memorable gaming experiences was beating Homeworld at like 2am and hearing Yes play over the credits. Even 20 years later I can still remember that dorm room in college and the monitor and corner of the bedroom my computer was set in. Anyways...
Amen, dude! We had a "family room" downstairs (we lived in a tri-level house) that was pretty huge and it had my computer, TV/console, couches, our old toys, etc. I was 14 at the time and had taken a break from EQ for a bit to try out other games and was pretty addicted to Tribes at the time. Ended up begging my parents to buy this for me. I will never forget the sliding glass door in that room and how the moon was bright as shit that night. I felt like a badass being able to stay up until 3am to beat a game.

• 2Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Homeworld is a game where the aesthetics really take it from being a good game to being a great game. Alpha Centuari is another good example.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Homeworld is a game where the aesthetics really take it from being a good game to being a great game. Alpha Centuari is another good example.
Honestly, Homeworld is a pretty shit RTS without the AMAZING story, music, aesthetics, etc.

Playing the remastered version a few years ago made me realize that the game is 90% atmosphere that moves it from the realm of "mediocre", average, and run of the mill into something that's an all-time great.

• 1Like

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
If you're all feeling that HW itch there's a bunch of amazing space combat RTS's coming.

If you're an Expanse fan, you'll be down for Nebulous fleet command. It's aimed at more of a space fleet combat sim with real inertia and physics modelling down to the ciws pdc's destroying incoming missiles but you could still take damage from the missile wreckage.

Personally I'm hyped for Falling Frontier. It's more of a classic RTS with an economy but still well within that Expanse feel:

That's not even in early access tho.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Sludig

Forget if theyve said theyll allow pretty open modding which allowed some great stuff on the originals. I'd love to see a better quality remaster and tangentally a emu or something of old Mech commander 1/2 that doesn't require a lot of funky file fucking around with.

Point Defence mod for homeworld was stunning to just watch.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Homeworld 3 + Open Modding = a nice new Battlestar Galactica mod

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity