Honkai Star Rail

Chris

Potato del Grande
Came out yesterday, from the same studio as Genshin Impact, but it's sci-fi and turn based.

Genshin is a bit much for a phone game, it's really a AAA Action RPG taking a lot of inspiration from Breath of the Wild - so it's better on PC and Console.

This one is much simpler to play (no climbing) and has turned based combat with an auto option, so you can relax with it and actually play it properly on the phone.

It does have the same polish as Genshin and is a little less annoying on the unskippable waifu story bullshit. I'm enjoying it so far.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Screenshot 2023-04-27 at 12-27-46 All Categories - Twitch.png

Top 3 streamers on Twitch.

disgusted face GIF

• 7Worf
  • 3Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 11 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
This game is addictive as fuck. Forgot how much I missed turn-based RPGs.

Chris

Potato del Grande
This game is addictive as fuck. Forgot how much I missed turn-based RPGs.
I've literally played it all day, finished the first planet. The way you get the second role for the main character during combat is excellent.

It's got exactly the same systems as Genshin but it's somehow more compelling in turn based combat, probably because there's a wider veriety of roles.

Genshin is just different types of damage dealers then maybe a healer as a crutch, but this has tanks, sheilders, healers, debuffers, buffers and single/aoe/hybrid dps. It's way more complicated but no burden on your reaction times, perfect for a phone game.

There does seem to be more dungeon type stuff to do since there's much less exploration, the rouguelike thing is very good, yet another embarassment for Torghast in WoW lol.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jonoki

Molten Core Raider
I wasn't very impressed watching previews of this game but after playing it... Yeah it's addicting as fuck. Love the combat. The quest dialogues can get tedious tho. Hopefully it has a better end game than Genshin... Guess we'll find out.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I wasn't very impressed watching previews of this game but after playing it... Yeah it's addicting as fuck. Love the combat. The quest dialogues can get tedious tho. Hopefully it has a better end game than Genshin... Guess we'll find out.
Quests for me are tap tap tap tap tap, I don't know if they are making dialouge so long to waste time, appeal to teenage girls or because they actually think it's good? But every game in the genre does this now.

I remember in FF10 I'd speak to every party member on purpose and get short meaningful dialogue.

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
It's the equivalent of zoning...please wait. They are changing sets behind the curtain.

Even more important for low memory/mobile devices.

Humans work in much the same way.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
The game is pretty fun so far, though I miss all the exploration in Genshin, and being able to jump/glide. Got Welt for my guaranteed 5* from the beginner banner, running him, Asta, March 7 and Tingyun. Like Genshin, pretty much all the characters have solid design and are usable, unlike most other gachas.

The writing is good from what I've seen so far, and the story seems good too, I've been reading most of it. I like how in one of the side quests you basically have to deliver bad news to someone, and you can either give them the red card with the uncomfortable truth, or the blue card with the safer lie.

Chris

Potato del Grande
The writing is good from what I've seen so far, and the story seems good too, I've been reading most of it. I like how in one of the side quests you basically have to deliver bad news to someone, and you can either give them the red card with the uncomfortable truth, or the blue card with the safer lie.
Which did you do?

I did Red Card and the guy starts planning how to jump into the same time dilation his love is in, so they'll reunite with him being 10 years older not 90 years older.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The combat is more fun / active than I thought it would turn out to be, so the game is fun and I like it. I don't see myself playing after I hit the content cap, since it has all the same systems from Genshin that I dislike. Gacha, stamina, time/resource locked content, long winded npcs, etc. They do seem pretty generous with banner rolls atm, probably due to the game not being massively popular. Genshin has far better character designs (even at launch), imo. The characters in HSR seem either generic (MC) or gaudy (Seele / Himeko).

Best thing about this game, so far, is the Simulated Universe. Your team can become insanely strong. Stacked up the +Energy blessings and get the energy back on kill...my Hunter character (Yanqin?) would just clear encounters with repeating ultimates. Plus, you can and should keep running the SU after you hit the weekly point cap, since you can earn materials / relics from the Elites / Boss while earning Ability Tree points.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Game is surprisingly great. Only like level 26 so can't speak to the endgame, but combat is solid if your into turn based jrpg's. Some fights actually require thinking which is rare in alot of these types of games. Writing is great too. I usually skip dialogue but the setting is pretty interesting so far. Same with side quests, not you're average side quest story lines. The only stuff I skip are the achievement clickies like the dumpsters and slimes. That shit is brutal. Dig the roguelike mode too.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Just got Seela, so I guess I'm done pulling on the banner now.

I haven't unlocked her talents or geared her yet, so less DPS than my Yanging, but holy shit when she goes off it's 3 turns and an ultimate in a row. She gets an extra turn if she kills something basically.

I'm in the space china zone now, it's just like Liyue in Genshin where the gameplay really goes to the next level with much larger areas to explore and more puzzle/enemy types. Umbrella Lady is back too. So if you like the first planet it's well worth it to keep going.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Which did you do?

I did Red Card and the guy starts planning how to jump into the same time dilation his love is in, so they'll reunite with him being 10 years older not 90 years older.

Yep same. I wonder if they'll reference what happens later in another sidequest.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I like that the MC actually has a personality here unlike Genshin. They seem to have taken a lot of the Genshin feedback and incorporated it here rather than really changing GI.

hsrTrio.png

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sampo is actually a monster for dps.

Currently smashing my face against Sim World 3 Gepard. I can get him into the 3rd phase, but I run outta steam. Been using Sampo, Yanqing, Natasha and Fire MC... so my dps doesn't do as much dmg as they could since Gep is weak to Phys / Fire / Lightning. I guess I could try and swap Sampo / Yanq out for Serval / Hook.

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Worth rerolling in this game? I started on pc as I hate playing on the phone. No 5 stars after all the free pulls you get so far.