Horror Comedies

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ummm Scary Movie 1 ??? The others were pretty shitty but the first one was by far one of the funniest comedies I have ever watched. How the hell did this get this far without even a mention??

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ummm Scary Movie 1 ??? The others were pretty shitty but the first one was by far one of the funniest comedies I have ever watched. How the hell did this get this far without even a mention??
That's a spoof. Its not really the genre that's being discussed.

Caliane

That's a spoof. Its not really the genre that's being discussed.
ehhhh.
So is Tucker and dale. Arguably so is Cabin in the Woods.

line gets blurred at times. Been too long since I seen that one to really say where it lands.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
ehhhh.
So is Tucker and dale. Arguably so is Cabin in the Woods.

line gets blurred at times. Been too long since I seen that one to really say where it lands.
Its like Airplane or Naked Gun. I agree the line is a bit blurry but Scary Movie is well over the spoof line into full blown parody. Would be like lumping Naked Gun in with Lethal Weapon or lumping Hot Shots in with MASH and Stripes.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
AoD is way too silly though, isnt it?

and as for the scary movie films, they arent funny or scary so, no they do not count.

Siliconemelons

There was this movie with a bunch of comedians playing straight and serious- they where in a office/secret HQ type thing and they where all secret agents that where told to kill each other- had some twist- was fun though- so I guess it was a survival horror type thing.. forgot what it was called but it had the bald guy from daily show in it.

Caliane

watching creepshow2 atm on netflix.

Which brings up a whole set of anthologies.
Tales from the crypt, creepshow, tales from the hood, twilight zone movie. and more I am totally forgetting.

obviously horror comedy is broad at times. Gremlins, army of darkness. probably can even call Trollhunter. which is fantastic. It hugs the line of dark fantasy, ala pans labyrinth, dont be afraid of the dark etc. but also comedy.

xadion, google says that is operation:endgame.

Siliconemelons

watching creepshow2 atm on netflix.

Which brings up a whole set of anthologies.
Tales from the crypt, creepshow, tales from the hood, twilight zone movie. and more I am totally forgetting.

obviously horror comedy is broad at times. Gremlins, army of darkness. probably can even call Trollhunter. which is fantastic. It hugs the line of dark fantasy, ala pans labyrinth, dont be afraid of the dark etc. but also comedy.

xadion, google says that is operation:endgame.
Yup, that's it! I don't know if its horror- but it has some survival terror elements here and there...and I guess the humor is just that almost all the actors are comedians yet its not...directly funny? but it was a good show and worth blowing some time for if you enjoy that kinda thing.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yup, that's it! I don't know if its horror- but it has some survival terror elements here and there...and I guess the humor is just that almost all the actors are comedians yet its not...directly funny? but it was a good show and worth blowing some time for if you enjoy that kinda thing.
It was neither a horror nor a comedy. Just a weirdly cast straight movie. Might as well name a random James Bond movie or something.

Still though,weird fuckin' cast. Zach Galifianakis as the retired agent maintenance man creeper guy especially.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i think cabin in the woods definately counts. it's very tongue in cheek, but there's definately a good chunk of horror to it. if shaun of the dead is going to count then cabin in the woods does as well. Tucker and Dale vs Evil... i'm on the fence about it... it's horror, but only from one perspective. the problem is that they show you both perspectives which nullifies the horror side of things. i'd argue that it counts, but i wouldn't argue very strongly.

movies that i don't think count as "horror comedy" are movies like ghoulies and maximum overdrive. Just because people spend an entire viewing of "the room" laughing doesn't make it a comedy. laughably bad is different than comedy.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I watchedThe Cabin in the Woodslast night and definitely found it to be more of a fantasy/comedy than a horror.

Slither was also fairly funny.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just to nitpick some points made so far, specifically joot's post:

I'd say something like Tucker & Dale is a straight up Horror Comedy. Whichever way you look it's either a comedy horror movie or a horror comedy movie, but either way it's as pure as this genre can get. It's a movie squarely planted in the middle.

Cabin in the Woods on the other hand I would call a funny deconstruction of horror, not strictly "horror comedy". It's a horror movie that is funny, but not a horror comedy.

This thread throws a very wide net that is basically "horror movies that are funny" and both movies fit in there, but to me they are pretty clearly different types of movies.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
im trying to rein it in some by not allowing trash like the scary movies. there is another good one called, John Dies At The End. thogh thats probably more scifi comedy.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
What of the old Critters movies? I always found them more funny than scary. I saw the Gremlins as Comedy horror and Critters as horror comedy.

Trollhunter is most definitely a horror comedy. Lead actor is one of the biggest satirical comedy stars in Norway, old school guy. However, I think quite a few of the comedic references in the movie are impossible to see unless you are from Norway. I laughed a lot when I saw it.