Horror Recommendations

Discussion in 'Book House' started by Chanur, Apr 3, 2017.

1. DONOR

Dr.Retarded
    Ratings:
    +3,046
    I concur...

2. Chanur Man With No Name
    SUPER DONOR

Chanur
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    • Solidarity Solidarity x 1
  3. DONOR

Dr.Retarded
    Ratings:
    +3,046
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Chanur Man With No Name
    SUPER DONOR

Chanur
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    I'm about halfway through The Troop. I have to say it's pretty horrifying. The subject matter is pretty disgusting and terrifying.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DONOR

Dr.Retarded
    Ratings:
    +3,046
    Are you reading it or doing the audio version? Either way, it's a pretty grim novel, but the audiobook really elevates a couple of specific scenes that make it even more horrific. Regardless, great narration / performance. You'll enjoy The Deep if you pick it up next. Much more Lovecraftian / cosmic horror, as is Little Heaven.

6. Chanur Man With No Name
    SUPER DONOR

Chanur
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    I'm reading it. I kind of worry if I do an audiobook for horror it will loose some of the tension. Only audio book I've done for horror is IT. That's only because I have a hard time reading King the few times I tried. I tried reading the Tommyknockers and couldn't get into it. I also just got Salem's Lot on audio book.

The Deep sounds good. I'm very into the Lovecraft/cosmic horror stuff.

7. DONOR

Dr.Retarded
    Ratings:
    +3,046
    Man, the audiobook version of IT is fanstastic. Think I've listened to it a three times at this point over the years. I'm on the road a lot due to work, so I listen to a ton of books. If I get home, crack open a paperback on the sofa, I fall asleep in 20 mins. Audiobooks give me a chance to read during those wasted hours, when I'm not on the phone doing business. Honestly, I never listen to music in the truck anymore when I'm by myself, because how many times do I really need to hear Stairway to Heaven.

If you're worried about the audio version reducing the tension, don't be. A standup narrator will only elevate it. Anytime I purchase books off audible, I always check the 5 min clip, and if the guy sounds like a robot, I always pass, even if the book might be amazing (instead pick up a hard copy, and read when I can). Other thing I've noticed with my audio library is that I end up relistening to books far more often the physically rereading them. I think I've reread a handful of books, but there are certain audiobooks or series I listen to each year. A good narrator / performance has the potential to really add to your experience with the novel.

Oh, and the Salem's Lot audiobook is great, so enjoy... ;)

8. Chanur Man With No Name
    SUPER DONOR

Chanur
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    I'll probably be rocking the Salem's lot audio book on the relocation from Houston to Orlando. Girlfriend is probably going to hate it though lol.

• Solidarity Solidarity x 1
  9. Arbitrary Well-Known Member

Arbitrary
    Ratings:
    +6,778
    The older version that sounds like a rip from cassette tapes or the newer version by Weber? He just yells too much.

I've started The Troop and am maybe three hours in and I'm having a hard time seeing how this is going to go on for another seven. I really like the person doing the reading but it hasn't grabbed me yet. Overall it feels good but not quite my thing.

10. DONOR

Dr.Retarded
    Ratings:
    +3,046
    The newer version. I agree, he does get pretty energetic at times, but still think it's a pretty good performance. Curious to know your thoughts on when you finish The Troop.