Hotel Artemis (2018)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

spronk

FPS noob
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Hotel Artemis (2018)

Genre: Thriller, Science Fiction

Director: Drew Pearce

Cast: Jodie Foster, Dave Bautista, Jeff Goldblum, Sofia Boutella, Jenny Slate, Charlie Day, Sterling K. Brown, Brian Tyree Henry

Release: 2018-07-20

Plot: A near-future thriller, set in its own distinctive crime universe, "Hotel Artemis" follows a nurse (Foster) who runs an underground hospital for Los Angeles' most sinister criminals, and finds that one of her patients is actually there to assassinate another.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob

Basically John Wick with a hospital instead of a hotel, heavy hitting cast with Jeff Goldblum as the bad guy (YES!), Jodie Foster as the hotel operator (Swearengen in John Wick), the black guy from This is Us as John Wick, Dave Bautista as Dave Bautista, the blade legs chick from Kingsman, Charlie Day, etc.

Releases June 8th in USA but I think this is gonna bomb hard, looks way too goofy to really get that John Wick crowd.

Also weird how the movie takes place in 2028 but the trailer doesn't really show anything futuristic about the world. Why would you set it in the future...

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I haven't heard of this until just now so that's not a great sign for it's marketing, but it looks entertaining. Fuck, put that cast together under any premise and you can probably sit through it for a while and be fine.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
is 10 blurry intentionally?
54dd19c0f09cb026cacaa95ec67238d1.png

Khane

Got something right about marriage
After watching the trailer I figured this was just about the hotel in John Wick and they were trying to create a John Wick universe. But it apparently isn't. I guess some people are trying to suggest it's an homage but that's ridiculous considering John Wick is only 4 years old and just released a sequel recently. So as long as you try to pretend something isn't a ripoff by calling it an homage nobody cares? Looks alright though. Good cast.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
After watching the trailer I figured this was just about the hotel in John Wick and they were trying to create a John Wick universe. But it apparently isn't. I guess some people are trying to suggest it's an homage but that's ridiculous considering John Wick is only 4 years old and just released a sequel recently. So as long as you try to pretend something isn't a ripoff by calling it an homage nobody cares? Looks alright though. Good cast.
Trailer looks like it's the Hotel from Altered Carbon, book did come out years ago (i didn't read, maybe a reader can chime in)

spronk

FPS noob
Saw this today, extremely low expectations expecting an artsy copy cat of John Wick but it wasn't bad at all. I went in wanting to hate it and walk out halfway for ripping off Wick but while it did copy some elements - an elaborate setup for a hotelhospital for criminals, lot of "rules", a noir setup - it was more a mix of Purge, cheap B movies, and a small bit of Wick-world. The acting really elevated it; between Jodie Foster, Dave Bautista, Sterling Brown, Sofia B, Charlie Day, and a short appearance by Jeff Goldblum this was a perfect example of one of those "the cast really elevated mediocre material to a fun movie". Foster was great, didn't play at all like Swearengen from Wick but made her own character and Bautista and Sofia (blade chick from Kingsman and main villain in The Mummy) were cool characters.

Its nowhere close to John Wick in any way and there are really no good action scenes, the sets are pretty cheap and everything is filmed in the dark for obvious $$ reasons but its still mostly enjoyable. Not really worth paying real money for so moviepass in theaters or just wait for HBO/Netflix/etc.

Goatface

out now in the normal places

thought it was ok, Charlie Day's character was just too much

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Everyone's initial assumption is that it's a John Wick knockoff, but its way more of a Tarantino knockoff, a bunch of criminals confined in a spot until they turn on each other.

The very definition of meh - it's competent and has a hell of a cast for the genre, but I'm not sure I remember a single thing about it.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i just watched this tonight. it was good. it's a nice little flick to watch while you're bored but it's not any kind of masterpiece at all. i liked everyone in it but jeff goldblum. he's the kind of actor where you watch him for his idiosyncrasies, but his part didn't allow for any whatsoever, so seeing him just takes you out of the movie without any real payoff.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database