House of Cards

Arakkis

N00b
I'm on the 4th episode and holy shit is this show amazing. I'm not reading anything in this thread until I'm done because you fuckers have ruined enough for me. Also, Nielsen, the TV ratings company sent me a diary, and at this point it has almost only House of Cards in it. Suck on that outdated cable and broadcasting.

iannis

Musty Nester
That threesome scene was amazing. Claire totally sold that 90 seconds, and it was just this quick predatory look. How do you even act a predatory look? Did Jodie Foster go "Ok now that was good but... look predatory!!" Wtf. But it was on her face. It's such a short scene but I thought to myself watching it, "God. They're like vampires. Look at those aristocrats having their fun with the plebe"

That woman... I've thought she was good when I've bothered to take any time to think about it... but that 1 scene stepped her up to the next level in my mind. That was a very subtle thing, and being able to communicate what she did the way that she did... she's some sort of a Black Magic Witchy Woman or something.

I'm scared of Princess Buttercup now IRL.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Yeah, Robin Wright is fucking awesome. The more I think about it, it kinda makes sense that Frank is so much greater than all his opponents. He beat out Wesley for Princess Buttercup and turned her evil, he is the ultimate badass.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah, Robin Wright is fucking awesome. The more I think about it, it kinda makes sense that Frank is so much greater than all his opponents. He beat out Wesley for Princess Buttercup and turned her evil, he is the ultimate badass.
Frank is not so much greater then he is as his opponents as he is just better at judging and leveraging his assets. Think of Frank like Michael Jordan before Michael Jordan had the right team around him. MJ was just another play in a sea of good players and then he got the right team around him and suddenly everyone else is left standing in his dust. Frank without Clarie, Doug and possibly even Remmy all those years ago would have been powerful for sure but unlikely to be as effective.

Musab

Molten Core Raider
Poor doug

Denton foreshadows Franks future in his last meeting with Sharpe

Also, powerful people on their way to the top never have equals, that's why they get there. Their fall comes from being to comfortable once they're at the top

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
Overall I liked the show but I think the binge watching made it apparent how omnipotent Frank is compared to his rivals. I have some concerns about what S3 is going to give us. Frank is basically unstoppable on his way to the top. Who is going to give him any trouble now that he is president?

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Overall I liked the show but I think the binge watching made it apparent how omnipotent Frank is compared to his rivals. I have some concerns about what S3 is going to give us. Frank is basically unstoppable on his way to the top. Who is going to give him any trouble now that he is president?
I disagree. It could have gone either way at the end and Frank lucked out. He certainly isn't omnipotent. Claire is the reason he wrote the letter. You have Rachel and the hacker now running around, which will lead to his downfall.

iannis

Musty Nester
Frank doesn't have to lose. I don't know which way they'll go with it, but they've been making an amalgam of Presidential traits with Frank. There's a little bit of LBJ, a little bit of Bill Clinton, a lot bit of Richard Nixon...

He doesn't have to lose at all. And there comes a point at which power protects itself without Frankhavingto do anything. So I don't know... but they could go either way with it. Scorched earth and a fall from grace or, and here's a potentially interesting bit: What the fuck does Frank do after he's climbed the mountain and defended the peak? What does he do when he reigns supreme? Sometimes maybe it's not the comfort of being on top and carelessness but instead the final fulfillment of the obsessive compulsion. What does Frank have left without that? Servicing that compulsion basicallyisFrank. That's a House of Cards in itself.

So I dunno. Or they could do something completely fucking different and make everyone bust a gut laughing like they did with S2:E1.

Musab

Molten Core Raider
People get to the top because they are ruthless. The majority of viewers being surprised at how Francis is so good at doing what he does, seem to not understand how powerful sociopathic people get their positions...
Claire breaking down because of how evil they are shows the price of wanting to be on top

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
i hope they don't go with breaking bad ending (fall from glory). that shit is so fucking played out and boring.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I liked Season 2 but any suspense they were trying to go for was lost to me because
Frank gets out of everything and I have no doubts he will. Hopefully in Season 3 he's challenged more. The series sort of feels over now that he's President.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Finished ep6 of s2, some comments so far...
I just finished ep6 of s2 and I am getting a bit annoyed at the omnipotent manipulator shit with Frank. It seems like no matter what he does, it all turns up roses. So much so that I am really starting to lose interest. Everytime there is a conflict, I can pretty much just assume that Frank will outthink and outclass his opponents. It is hard for me to believe that no one else is even remotely in his class.
This is the weakest part of the show. The show is fun and entertaining because the writers are very good at keeping the show on the rails they have set. I love watching it but it definitely is not even close to one of the best shows on TV. It's far too formulaic. The reason it works is because it doesn't try to be tricky or coy. It's in your face with exactly what it is every single episode. That's why it's good.

iannis

Musty Nester
Compared to what though? Game of Cosplay? This last season of Boardwalk Empire? All seasons of Breaking Bad except for season 4? It's easily better than any one of those. It's on par with Mad Men, for my dollar. S4 Breaking Bad, S1+2 Boardwalk Empire, and... well, every season of Mad Men really are the only real contenders.

At worst it's a pretty short list. Frank is gonna be calculating, treacherous, and manipulative and claw his way to the top. Don is gonna drink scotch and fuck bitches. That's not formulaic so much as just the basic idea of the thing. Don has to fuck a bitch and then question his core values. Frank has to outmaneuver a bitch and gleefully reaffirm his core values. I know what you mean, sort of, but that's not the right word. The very first episode is the utter negation of formulaic.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
Don has to fuck a bitch and then question his core values.
To put Mad Men and this show in the same category is just wow.

Also the hacker plotline was pretty goofy. And that's saying something for this show.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Compared to what though? Game of Cosplay? This last season of Boardwalk Empire? All seasons of Breaking Bad except for season 4? It's easily better than any one of those. It's on par with Mad Men, for my dollar. S4 Breaking Bad, S1+2 Boardwalk Empire, and... well, every season of Mad Men really are the only real contenders.
Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, are all better than s2 of this show. S1 was incredible, this season it has devolved in my mind to being akin to 24. No narrative tension at all, Frank just going around capping shit (not literally) like he is Jack Bauer. Not even a tenuous connection with reality.

Pretty shitty, I was really into it after the first ep of this season, but just blah on the completely one-sided encounters with everyone else.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Basically what Khalid said. There is no tension. I love the acting and the story is entertaining but you never feel like Frank is going to lose, ever. Also, I'm sorry but politicians being so easily deceived by a man who has a history of deceit and usurping with just a wink and a smile including the fucking president? Sorry, just can't buy it. This show is not top echelon for me, but it is great to watch and I will continue to do so. I binge watched the whole thing in 3 days.