How do I transfer sms data from Galaxy S6 to PC?

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
Been trying to figure it out for a bit so I can save some threads on my PC, all the google fu points me to having to download some app or program on my PC and I don't want to really pay anything for it. Been digging around in the files and can't find them.

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
It keeps making .xml files though and when I open it on my PC i just have code I am looking at, am I missing an option setting somewhere?

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What exactly are you trying to do? Simply Backup your phone? Sync contacts to PC?

The official backup software (and xfer software) is SmartSwitch.

Samsung Smart Switch™: Transfer Contacts, Music and More

If you are simply trying to sync stuff, I have everything on my S7 tied to my Google account. It backs everything up to the cloud automagically when I am on my home WiFi. Your contacts are constantly synced with your GMail account. For photos, I have it synced to Dropbox which also backs up when home WiFi is detected.

***Edit***
Aaaand I just saw you specifically asked for SMS. I am pretty sure SmartSwitch will back that up too.

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
The goal is to get a content backup onto a PC or some thing other than phone. My partner is like "Jen" in the IT Crowd and afraid she will brick her phone some how and lose some extremely important texts. We also thought printing out text threads and voicemail transcripts would be good for documentation purposes. There is an app called "deciphertexting" or similar that does it for iphones, but it looks at itunes backups, and we have android.