How do you prefer your steak?

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Just wondering who the horrible people are.

rrr_img_32821.jpg

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
This is exactly what I say.

"Char the outside. Leave the inside as Rare as possible."

Usually ends up just a little bit past "Rare"

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
In school, I worked at a shitty steakhouse that had an option for "Xtra Well". Thought it was a joke until a bunch of old people ordered ribeyes and filets that way.

Musab

Molten Core Raider
Never trust someone who orders well-done, or puts A1/ketchup on their steak.

Macri_sl

shitlord
I've been cooking professionally for about 7 years now and I almost never get complaints on steaks, but when I do 9 times out of 10 it's someone who ordered well done. It's really just general ignorance on the part of the customer, most people have no idea what the various levels mean or how they should be cooked. It's a widely accepted fact in the industry that a person who orders a well done steak doesn't know enough about steak to even know if their steak is well done or not.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Depends on the restaurant. Nice restaurant and/or a trusted meat/chef, rare or medium rare. Anything else, medium.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
on the other hand if someone manages to fuck your steak up by overcooking it. either send that shit back if you are in a restaurant or if at someone's home you ask for ketchup. i pissed a friend off when i asked if he had any ketchup after he burned my steak on the grill at his home one 4th of july. then i showed him what he just gave me and he shut up and handed me his steak which was just fine (med-rare)

Vinen

God is dead
Rare Steak with a preference towards Raw everything else. I do loves it when I can find a quality restaurant that serves a dish with raw beef.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I usually go mid-rare. I don't trust other humans to go below that.

My whole family eats them well done+1, can't stand cooking like that. They always complain that I burnt it.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
TL;DR Taste buds are different for everyone.

I like mine medium to just a bit over medium. There is a crucial and very short window where the center of the steak goes from red to pink to lighter pink to brown and I am happy with light pink where the juices come out when I cut the steak. The issue I have with rare and medium rare steaks is that I often have to chew it like a piece of fat and if it is well done instead then I have to chew it like a cracker.

The closest way to describe how I like my steak is like what happens if you put a brisket into a crockpot on low for 5 - 8 hours and then when you bite into it all of the flavors just flush into your mouth and biting through it has the resistance of .. of.. well of meat cooked in a crockpot. You could use a spoon to cut the steak into slices. Or when you can hold a rack ribs up and the meat just almost starts to fall off the bone. But you have to be careful because to much tenderness turns it into mush which is just as bad as well done steak.

I think I just have weird taste buds. Like I can't stand salt but watching the food network channel as often as we do and soon you see that salt is the go to seasoning on and for everything. For example I've never had a dish or followed a recipe where I didn't enjoy it more with less salt and/or low sodium ingredients.

Or how I like sauces and find some meals go well with sauce and some meals go better without sauce but I've had meals prepared by a private chef who outright said that the use of any sauce in a meal is to cover up bad cooking. So.. yeah.

Arakkis

N00b
When I was a kid I used to love a rare steak covered in steak sauce. As I've gotten older and my tastes more refined I know how to season a steak to perfection and enjoy the meat actually cooked through. Not sure why anyone would want to eat something that tastes like a bloody pussy.