How much real money have MMOs made you?

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Date 5/13 in your SS. 4/24 In mine.

But the thing with OW small man stuff is it's a no win situation.

If you invite everyone then people are mad about the loot rules or mad that they brought extra boxes/tracked and someone else didn't.
If you invite a private group then people get mad about not being invited or they want to kick out someone they think isn't carrying their weight.
If you say fuck it nobody is allowed to do OW then people get mad other guilds are killing the targets.

There is just no winning.
Your screenshot says Primals+Riwwi - not Qvic.

All reasons why I don't like them. In the year and a half that Mischief has existed I've just come to accept that they're part of the meta now and if the people who run the small man are core loyal players they generally help the guild. It's especially easier now in the post AoC era where you can just level a second character on your same account and trade the gear over to raid again since lockouts are no longer account based.

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
How is any of this making you money?

Basically all the drama stems from Krono which is EQ nerd crypto worth about 9-10$ a piece on the black market. Like when i said early in the thread GIG sent out about 20k Krono of plat during PoP that's about 180-200K$ worth of plat.

• 1Like
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 1 users

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'll never be that surprised with how much EQ 1 players are willing to shell out for pixels. I remember a friend of mine in Township Rebellion like ~20 years ago that made quite a bit of side cash by taking people through raids/etc or helping them flag for something using Paypal; several grand at least and he was only like 17 at the time. The leadership there I think had a major falling out over RMT stuff going on with raid drops as well. It's been a cancer as long as the game has existed hah.

Knew a guy who paid someone $150 to MQ the ancient cyclops ring for Jboots - the guy who sold it literally just randomly came across it one afternoon and paid for his sub for 10 months. It's always been pretty wild.

Zapan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Basically all the drama stems from Krono which is EQ nerd crypto worth about 9-10$ a piece on the black market. Like when i said early in the thread GIG sent out about 20k Krono of plat during PoP that's about 180-200K$ worth of plat.
Since you love proof, do you have any that shows that 20k krono worth of plat was sent out during PoP?

I can only assume you are placing some silly low value on plat/krono and not accounting for the dupes, but if I’m wrong I’m wrong.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Zaide

TLP Idealist
The whole economy was crazy during PoP. DBoWs were going for 40 krono the first month and dropped off mobs you could 2 group.

Frenzic

Lord Nagafen Raider

All this thread drama is over that tiny amount? Yall don't know what real Krono farming looks like :)

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Who cares about the amount. The drama on Mischief between Faceless and Greed is Good in Kunark was great. I had friends on both sides and we just laughed at the people that actually took the rivalry seriously. Show me on the doll where Zaide touched you.

• 1Picard

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
I can only assume you are placing some silly low value on plat/krono and not accounting for the dupes, but if I’m wrong I’m wrong.

Official raids only based off the guild value of KR when KB sent out splits. Would be like 10% or so less in reality.

• 1Faggotry

gugabuba

Golden Knight of the Realm
Just curious and contextless, what does it mean that plat was sent out?

If there were 50 people in the guild and each person spent 400 Kronos on items, wouldn't it look like 20k Kronos were sent out? Meanwhile no one made any money, things just moved around.

Or is this plat derived from outside the guild?

Daidraco

You sell whatever is the difference in East Commons Tunnel for example. Obviously you would send Krono if it was perfectly even, but it doesnt always add up to what krono is worth at that time and platinum is "the change" at that point. Who does the selling? the officers. Thats why officers in that situation get a "cut." Its usually spelled out in this situation so you know what you're getting into, which would be like 1.5% or something.

• 1Dislike

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
Just curious and contextless, what does it mean that plat was sent out?

If there were 50 people in the guild and each person spent 400 Kronos on items, wouldn't it look like 20k Kronos were sent out? Meanwhile no one made any money, things just moved around.

Or is this plat derived from outside the guild?

The guild takes bids and pays in plat, not KR. Payments are in plat. The KR number is based of "what if" you took all that plat and used it to buy KR at the current market rate. Yes, a lot of plat is obviously recycled, but Mischief is a "Free Trade" so items were often bought and resold to people outside the guild.

• 1Galaxy Brain

Daidraco

The guild takes bids and pays in plat, not KR. Payments are in plat. The KR number is based of "what if" you took all that plat and used it to buy KR at the current market rate. Yes, a lot of plat is obviously recycled, but Mischief is a "Free Trade" so items were often bought and resold to people outside the guild.
Yes. Amend what I said with obvious shit. But "thanks" for your input. Please tell us more about how popular you are in EQ TLP.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I was up to about 800 Kronos from Mischief and did a 180 krono bid on some shit item just to get the record for highest bid, had fun jacking up the krono price by manipulating the market for a few days, then quit and sold off the rest on EC Tunnel by undercutting everytime else. So I guess around $4k from that and offloading accounts.

ECTunnel got weird because one of the top krono sellers (Diamond Krono) tried to give me a bulk price to sell to them but they wanted me to trade the krono first. It was very bizarre because he was really pressuring me hard, like a scammer. I then saw that he either had a second account or a partner that they were buying and trading krono from and giving reviews for every purchase. There was some other stuff from my digging around and it all seemed very sketchy and I told him to bugger off. I had to tell him no about three different times before he finally stopped sending messages. Something very weird about the whole thing.
800 kronos? holy shit. I keep hearing more and more stories of people making insane Kronos on that server but you're the most I've heard about. Every TLP I play on I never figure out the camps, and don't box so never net positive on the Kronos. I've bought plenty of them off ECT though.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
800 kronos? holy shit. I keep hearing more and more stories of people making insane Kronos on that server but you're the most I've heard about. Every TLP I play on I never figure out the camps, and don't box so never net positive on the Kronos. I've bought plenty of them off ECT though.
I have to believe there are more than a few who had more than me. I was never in part of any cliques and everything I gained was just from my own personal six boxing. I sold few things before Luclin because I hated using the tunnel. It was also still just a game to me -- I was addicted to the server but I never played to make money; I'm sure people who were more dedicated in that aspect could have done much better. I did 7x300 tradeskills by the second day of PoP, for example, heh; that's a huge money waste.

Last edited:

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I made a pretty good amount of money in Luclin to pop. Not enough to be rich or anything, but I was in my early 20s and able to just play games all day while living alone, with plenty of time left over for raids. The height of it was the redone CT getting released, but there were other places that were surprisingly good. Chardok, ect. In CT there was lots of super high value drops, and some of the tradeskill items were pretty much best in slot for normies, and literally nobody else was making them. Plus it wasn't that hard to 6 man the big slime boss, and it's drops could go for close to half a mil. Just took an hour of grinding on him to do it. My time in EQ making money collapsed suddenly with a coin dupe I believe. Plat lost like 80+% of its value in a couple days.

Back when I played EVE, I remember people were theorizing "was there any trillionaires in the game". Meanwhile I was chortling at that, cause I deposited like 700 billion a month to the alliance's cash cow, and I was only a fraction of the monopoly we ran. I was already rich before that. I figured out how to exploit scan mechanics to essentially insta locate even the hardest to find plexes. Built a cheesy as fuck combo of cheap and shitty stabber kitted for super speed to kite all the enemies, and went in with a frigate kitted for insane dps. Flew past all the NPCs and just took out the boss, as for some reason that was the only thing you had to kill to beat those plexes. Could easily make 10s of billions per day if you got on a roll.

Eve definitely made some people lots of money. If my freighter with the 700b had gotten exploded, it would have been a 50-60,000 dollar loss at the time.

• 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Awesome story.

TLDR
-The Dev's in Ultima Online knew they had a dupe problem.
-They plant a hidden code in the highest profile items to make them unique, trackable, and show up if they ever existed twice.
-They make the decision to not delete the dupes, but rather go after the duper's. Classic law enforcement tactics against the suppliers, rather than the users.
-So, they hold onto their data until all the major duper's across all servers had a mountain of evidence piled up against them.
-They systematically track these duper's houses, item caches, and vendors.
-They wait till a major patch day, and go and delete everything and account ban the dupers.
-They replaced dozens and dozens of these houses with burning rubble, and a straw dummy that read "An Effigy of a Traitor".

Pretty fucking awesome.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
Result is basically the people that cheated for IRL money got to cash out.
The people that felt like they had to cheat or be at a competitive disadvantage lost all legit items.

Not a fan. Punishes the wrong group.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Result is basically the people that cheated for IRL money got to cash out.
The people that felt like they had to cheat or be at a competitive disadvantage lost all legit items.

Not a fan. Punishes the wrong group.

The article says the buyers kept their duped items. How exactly were they negatively effected?

• 1Like