How to have a share drive across multiple computers?

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I am looking for a cross platform (Windows/MacOS) solution to be able to have a share drive that works across multiple computers.

I would like for me to be the administrator, and on the other computers it would be read only.

Something that just looks like a folder on their computer.

Any ideas?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I am looking for a cross platform (Windows/MacOS) solution to be able to have a share drive that works across multiple computers.

I would like for me to be the administrator, and on the other computers it would be read only.

Any ideas?
mac supports reading a shared drive as long as you turn on file sharing and network discovery, just type in the host name properly

*edit found an easy enough guide

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
mac supports reading a shared drive as long as you turn on file sharing and network discovery, just type in the host name properly

*edit found an easy enough guide

Well my problem is not all of these computers are on the same local network.

I have a domain that we use to login for office 365 (like you login the computer [email protected]). But then I will have other computers that are associated with that domain, but aren't on the same local connected network.

I'm sure there's some virtual network, something with AzureAD or something that I don't know how to configure

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>

Any ideas?
Will Dropbox not do what you want? Because what you've described sounds an awful lot like Dropbox. I use it across my computers at home, work, and my seedbox. Some of it is hidden from others (like the seedbox doesn't need a lot of it, just like my work computer doesn't need the seedbox downloads), and I'm pretty sure you can give varying degrees of access to folders if you actually use different users instead of all one user like mine.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Well my problem is not all of these computers are on the same local network.

I have a domain that we use to login for office 365 (like you login the computer [email protected]). But then I will have other computers that are associated with that domain, but aren't on the same local connected network.

I'm sure there's some virtual network, something with AzureAD or something that I don't know how to configure
you can just use onedrive to share the folder then, might not be spiffy

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, if everyone is using Office 365 why not use that? We use that at work and all my files are shareable across all my RDPs sessions, laptop, etc and I can share with coworkers. It also shows up as a drive in my explorer as if it was more or less just a local folder. But I'm not sure how admin works with that and setting up read/write permissions. I'm just an end user.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, if everyone is using Office 365 why not use that? We use that at work and all my files are shareable across all my RDPs sessions, laptop, etc and I can share with coworkers. It also shows up as a drive in my explorer as if it was more or less just a local folder. But I'm not sure how admin works with that and setting up read/write permissions. I'm just an end user.
Easy enough. The file author can set permissions on any file or directory that’s shared. Depending on your needs a sharepoint/teams site might be a better fit

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Easy enough. The file author can set permissions on any file or directory that’s shared. Depending on your needs a sharepoint/teams site might be a better fit

I actually really like Sharepoint. Initially when the company rolled it out to us it sucked. But whatever was going on behind the scenes they worked out and now it is great. With basically two clicks I can record a Stream video, upload it to a Sharepoint site, and email everyone that a new video has been released.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I actually really like Sharepoint. Initially when the company rolled it out to us it sucked. But whatever was going on behind the scenes they worked out and now it is great. With basically two clicks I can record a Stream video, upload it to a Sharepoint site, and email everyone that a new video has been released.
I'm a fan as well. Far from perfect of course, but IMO MSFT has a done a pretty solid job of getting all their products online and working together.