How to properly buy office 365 business for other users

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
So I'm dumb here, but I have an employee that I want to buy a subscription of O365 (Or I guess called Microsoft 365 now?) for, but they work from home. How on earth do I buy this for them in such a way it doesn't tie the purchase to their account?

Basically, I want to buy them a subscription and then cancel it if they leave the company, so I need it tied to my email, but I need them to be able to use it with their MS Account.

I'm surprised that MS makes it this difficult, but hopefully someone can tell me WTF to do.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee

You can add it remove as many licenses as you need. Think only the first one is commitment based. Most companies have a business portal like this to add these.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
1589123577235.png

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>

You can add it remove as many licenses as you need. Think only the first one is commitment based. Most companies have a business portal like this to add these.

Thank you so much. This did the trick for my needs.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Thank you so much. This did the trick for my needs.
While this is, by far, the best solution.

An alternative is to buy a home family account under your email address, and "share" the account to their email address. You can then de-share it with them should you ever need. No monetary savings but it does allow you to control access.

But yeah, business licensing is what ANY business should use.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
While this is, by far, the best solution.

An alternative is to buy a home family account under your email address, and "share" the account to their email address. You can then de-share it with them should you ever need. No monetary savings but it does allow you to control access.

But yeah, business licensing is what ANY business should use.
The Cloud Police can come arrest you for this.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
The Cloud Police can come arrest you for this.
I understand why you are saying this, because it is technically a violation of licensing. Lets just make this 100% clear here.

This is not how ANY legit business should approach this.

I was just playing devil's advocate, and should have been more clear. Thanks Mist Mist

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Does anyone know how big a pain in the ass marrying local AD with O365 AD actually is? I feel like this is going to be in my future.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Does anyone know how big a pain in the ass marrying local AD with O365 AD actually is? I feel like this is going to be in my future.

Like, a hybrid setup?

If you dont already have an o365 tenant, and are just wanting to sync AD to a new tenant, its REALLY REALLY easy.

If you have an existing tenant? You'll have to resolve some dirsync issues.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Like, a hybrid setup?

If you dont already have an o365 tenant, and are just wanting to sync AD to a new tenant, its REALLY REALLY easy.

If you have an existing tenant? You'll have to resolve some dirsync issues.
Small business that uses O365 for email hosting that I want to start using AD for SSO on company computers.

Currently has no AD implementation other than the existing Azure AD for O365.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Small business that uses O365 for email hosting that I want to start using AD for SSO on company computers.

Warning: Microsoft's idea of SSO 2FA means every MS app, even Onedrive, will want to 2Fauthenticate at random all the time...

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider

So company does not currently have an on prem AD?

This should streamline the process a bit.