How well can you hear audio quality?

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I can get 2/6 right at best, but I can reliably always avoid the 128 option with $15 headphones. I never buy myself nice headphones anymore because I treat peripherals like shit and always need to replace them, headphones being the most mistreated. I've never considered myself an audiophile, but I do listen to a lot of digital music. I think my success was reduced by the song selection because Neil Young and Jay Z are annoying and I didn't enjoy sitting there trying to discern between the compression.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I think 20+ years of a lot of loud concerts has shot my hearing to shit, lol

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Yea, my hearing is damaged too. I have earbuds in my ears cranked up to 12 like 1/3 of every day. I have to ask people to speak up and I'm told I speak loudly. It's annoying, and yes, I know I'm the annoying part of those exchanges.

WTB ear lasik and direct-to-brain audio implants.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Oddly enough, I hear very, very soft sounds like a goddamn dog. I hear random noises off in the distance blocks away(like windchimes, or a dog barking) and ask my wife about it and she doesn't hear a damn thing. Yet if someone is trying to talk to me 2 feet in front of my face in a semi-loud restaurant or bar, I'm just completely lost, I can't hear shit. Once volume gets fairly loud and multiple sounds are overlapping, my hearing goes to total crap.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
5/6 correct, using a pair of Audio Technica ATH-AD900 plugged into a Xonar Essence ST sound card.

I could definitely hear more in the background going on with the higher quality audio files.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
missed the first 2, then went into soundblaster control (xfi) turned on crystalizer, got the next 4, Audio-Technica ATH-AD700

Zionmaster_sl

shitlord
Apparently I can't tell the difference between 320 and uncompressed. I literally got them all wrong but 1 choosing 320.

Jim Russel

Lord Nagafen Raider
4/6 I chose either 320 or uncompressed. (2/6 uncompressed), which is not inconsistent with what you might expect by chance.

I took it again (incognito mode will reset the order) and got 6/6 either 320 or uncompressed with 3/6 uncompressed. It's easier when you know what it's supposed to sound like. Sometimes it's counterintuitive because the 128 sounds less harsh due to smoothing.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I got 2/6 on my 6 dollar headphones at work. I'd like to try on my nicer headphones and speakers at home and see if I improve.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
the stupid part about this test, is that the compression is like 1/100th of the quality of something. if its mixed like shit and mastered to a god damn blue rectangle there is little to no distinction in audible quality.

ValkyrieIATD

Silver Knight of the Realm
Bluetooth headphones. The ONLY track that I could hear any difference at all was Katy Perry -- the highs were slightly more noticeable on the high quality track.

Otherwise they all sounded identical.

Goonsquad Officer
I got 4/6. I did better on the earlier ones. messed up jayZ and the last one. I used what i THOUGHT was white noise and mouth sounds to tell. but 4/6 sounds as reliable as random guesses
smile.png

I don't really care about sound quality in songs. I had the worst speakers for years and use a bluetooth headset most of the time with one ear in.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I got 4/6 as well. I've got pretty sharp hearing, but interestingly, the only 128 I guessed was the acapella song (no instruments, just voice). Without a range of instruments and tones, I wasn't sure what to listen for to determine quality.

That being said, while I appreciate the production value uncompressed brings, it doesn't bother me at all to listen to 128 kbs mp3s.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Got 3/6. Never picked a 128. Using some mid range steel series connected to my laptop.

Haven't tested my hearing since in the military, but there I got 4/9. Exceptional hearing for low tones, but my left ear can hardly hear any high tones. Lots of ear infections as a kid.

Some of them were quite obvious though. Coldplay and Niel Young were immediate. Suzanne Vega I can't tell a difference even when I know which one is correct and which one is supposedly the worst.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Btw for ppl who want to hear the wonders of the world
Amazon.com: Elephant Ear Washer Bottle with 3 tips by Doctor Easy: Health Personal Care

I use it once a year, nothing funky ever comes out, either from my wife either, honestly i just do it in the shower and let it dribble over me, it's a lot easier than directing my head towards a bucket.

Remember to use warm water and a 1tsp of peroxide, and of course gives a slow squeeze on the trigger, not like your cleaning out grout.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
4/6 - but agree with the comments. These samples were really bad to use for an audio quality test.