How will the world (or maybe just civilization) end in the next 50 years? (Poll)

Kinkle_sl

shitlord
Getting hit by a species-ending asteroid is a statistical certainty at some point. Not 50 years from now, but likely not as far out as we'd like to think either. That doesn't mean we'll see it coming though. Thus far in Earth's history, we've discovered a single object that ended up entering the atmosphere. Taking that further, objects coming from the direction of the Sun are significantly less likely to be discovered, creating an even greater chance that we won't see our end before it arrives. Meh. Happens happens. Just more reason why we should revamp the space program and stop holding all our eggs in 1 basket.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
I highly doubt a pandemic will wipe out all humans (unless you are including a weaponized biological agents in that).

There is too much genetic diversity for a naturally occurring virus or bacteria to completely wipe out 7ish billion humans. There will be those who are immune.

I voted other because it will hopefully be something we have no idea that is coming and is so fast we can't react.
It doesn't need to kill everyone. It just has to be incredible infectious, hard to treat and very lethal. Civilization will have a hell of a time getting it under control. If it can't be brought under control, then yeah civilization goes out the window. People may survive it, but how many and how spread out they are will determine what kind of a world is left over.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Getting hit by a species-ending asteroid is a statistical certainty at some point. Not 50 years from now, but likely not as far out as we'd like to think either. That doesn't mean we'll see it coming though. Thus far in Earth's history, we've discovered a single object that ended up entering the atmosphere. Taking that further, objects coming from the direction of the Sun are significantly less likely to be discovered, creating an even greater chance that we won't see our end before it arrives. Meh. Happens happens. Just more reason why we should revamp the space program and stop holding all our eggs in 1 basket.
The objects large enough to fuck us up that badly and that could hit us on fairly short notice are 90% found already, I thought? Yes for smaller ones the size of the one that hit Russia awhile back it's going to take awhile to get them all cataloged, but the big planet killers are nearly all discovered and soon will be.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/WI.../pia14734.html

--For the largest asteroids, larger than 1,000 meters (3,300 feet), NEOWISE data revises the total population down to 981 from a prior estimate of about 1,000. While this is not a dramatic difference, the findings show that NASA has met an initial near-Earth asteroid goal agreed to with Congress in 1998, calling for at least 90 percent of the largest objects to be found. There are an estimated 911 objects of this size range known, which means that NASA has found 93 percent. That leaves roughly 70 of these bodies left to find.

--The NEOWISE data reveals an approximately 44 percent decline in the estimated numbers of medium-sized asteroids, which are defined as those objects between 100 meters and 1,000 meters (330 and 3,300 feet). Estimates now indicate about 19,500, where as 35,000 were thought to exist before.

--The study does not apply to objects smaller than 100 meters (330 feet), but it is estimated that there are more than a million in this size range based on previous studies.
So I guess there's still a fair amount of work to do on the medium sized ones, but only the very biggest of those would qualify as "world ending" I would think. Chelyabinsk was somewhere around 20 meters, Tunguska estimates are 60-190 meters.

As far as the rate of collisions go:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_event

Asteroids with a 1 km (0.62 mi) diameter strike Earth every 500,000 years on average.[3] Large collisions - with 5 km (3 mi) objects - happen approximately once every twenty million years.[4] The last known impact of an object of 10 km (6 mi) or more in diameter was at the Cretaceous-Paleogene extinction event 66 million years ago.[5]
I'm not even sure if a 1 km object strike would "END THE WORLD", but regardless it would be pretty calamitous. The odds of that happening are extremely low by all indications. So no, from a human civilization perspective I don't think that an asteroid impact is all that much to be concerned about as opposed to a whole shitload of other doomsday scenarios that are far more likely.

I still think it would be awesome to witness though!

Kinkle_sl

shitlord
The objects large enough to fuck us up that badly and that could hit us on fairly short notice are 90% found already, I thought? Yes for smaller ones the size of the one that hit Russia awhile back it's going to take awhile to get them all cataloged, but the big planet killers are nearly all discovered and soon will be.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/WI.../pia14734.html

So I guess there's still a fair amount of work to do on the medium sized ones, but only the very biggest of those would qualify as "world ending" I would think. Chelyabinsk was somewhere around 20 meters, Tunguska estimates are 60-190 meters.

As far as the rate of collisions go:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_event

I'm not even sure if a 1 km object strike would "END THE WORLD", but regardless it would be pretty calamitous. The odds of that happening are extremely low by all indications. So no, from a human civilization perspective I don't think that an asteroid impact is all that much to be concerned about as opposed to a whole shitload of other doomsday scenarios that are far more likely.

I still think it would be awesome to witness though!
Well, it depends really. Our solar system is surrounded by the Oort Cloud, a sphere of asteroids left over from the solar system's formation. Every once in a while it'll chuck a giant rock deeper toward the Sun. So while we've cataloged everything near us, that doesn't account for the vast majority of potential end-game asteroids.

iannis

Musty Nester
It doesn't need to kill everyone. It just has to be incredible infectious, hard to treat and very lethal. Civilization will have a hell of a time getting it under control. If it can't be brought under control, then yeah civilization goes out the window. People may survive it, but how many and how spread out they are will determine what kind of a world is left over.
Well yeah, but the idea is that nature is not going to produce a species annihilator in virus form. If nature were going to do that it would have already. 50,000 years may not be much on a geological timescale, and it's nothing on a cosmic one, but on a biological timescale 50,000 years is still 50,000 years.

Bird Flu might very well kill a lot of people but it's not gonna kill all the people or even enough of them. If nothing else wars show us that a society can lose a significant part of their population and still retain enough integrity to advance the idea of civilization. A plague might set things back 2-20 generations, but it's hard to imagine a naturally occurring one efficient enough to set the civ.ini file to -1.

That sort of efficiency is designed. If that happens naturally through a series of plague you might as well say, "God could no longer suffer our insolence". It amounts to the same thing, really.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Oort objects would be seen coming for months, I would imagine, if not years. Something coming from that far out can't continually be coming "from the sun" because the Earth's position is constantly changing in the solar system. That's why they worry about NEOs, because those can get us in very short order. And regardless of their source, that doesn't change the estimates on impact frequency in the second part of my post. You said it's a statistical certainty "at some point". Sure, if we're talking hundreds of thousands or millions of years. If we're talking centuries or even millenia, not so much. Let alone decades.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
The Justinian Plague, the on in the late middle ages, and the influenza epidemic in 1918 all did serious damage but civilization survived.

Sulrn

Deuces
Most likely are:

1. Pandemic
2. Rogue State/Group Nuclear Proliferation
3. Rogue State/Group Disruption of the Global Economy (ie famine, societal collapse) (even Somalia could pull this off)

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Eomer_sl said:
The objects large enough to fuck us up that badly and that could hit us on fairly short notice are 90% found already, I thought?!
This doesn't seem correct to me. They're finding new earth orbit crossing asteroids all the time and even a 150m asteroid can cause significant problems.

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/risk/

Is there an astronomer in the house?

Tea_sl

shitlord
Shit ain't very likely.

But if it were to come crashing down then I suspect the most likely root cause would be global warming. If like 20 of the unlikely worst case scenarios all happened then it would probably mean the collapse of society. Or if like we're way fucking off base with methane clathrates, then only one worse case scenario. They seem relatively stable, but the joke is we don't really have a good idea. Likely progression would probably be an economic crash intermingled with warfare and famine. Humans survive, civilization does not.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Well yeah, but the idea is that nature is not going to produce a species annihilator in virus form. If nature were going to do that it would have already. 50,000 years may not be much on a geological timescale, and it's nothing on a cosmic one, but on a biological timescale 50,000 years is still 50,000 years.

Bird Flu might very well kill a lot of people but it's not gonna kill all the people or even enough of them. If nothing else wars show us that a society can lose a significant part of their population and still retain enough integrity to advance the idea of civilization. A plague might set things back 2-20 generations, but it's hard to imagine a naturally occurring one efficient enough to set the civ.ini file to -1.

That sort of efficiency is designed. If that happens naturally through a series of plague you might as well say, "God could no longer suffer our insolence". It amounts to the same thing, really.
Except man is producing conditions that are leading to nastier, deadlier pathogens. We are creating environments that couldn't occur naturally, and micro organisms are adapting to these new environments with frightening efficiency. Expecting some random plague to erupt out of the rain forest is not as likely as one coming out of an overcrowded farm or hospital.

The Justinian Plague, the on in the late middle ages, and the influenza epidemic in 1918 all did serious damage but civilization survived.
Except people couldn't be on the other side of the world in less than a day back then, and cities were not as densely populated as they are now. Combine those two and the ability for a disease to wipe out larger portions of a populace is increased. We have better methods of identifying and treating these conditions, but there may come a point when population density and mobility out paces our ability to successfully contain outbreaks. The influenza outbreak only hit 20% of the world population, that's a huge number of people, but leaving 80% untouched is not really a threat to wipe out the entire world.

Dworkk

N00b
You forgot the most probable end: Total global financial collapse from endlessly printing money. Leading to hyperinflation as the global reserve currency (US dollar) starts to look like the Zimbabwean Dollar.

Thus leading to the bankruptcy of the welfare state, where as, the poor and by now the total lack of middle class, having nothing left to lose, unleash massive civil unrest. Bringing the modern industrial world to it's knees!

Or

Thus leading the world powers, with rising discontent, and a glut of young, unemployed, draftable, citizens, to initiate hard line stances on foreign policy issues. Leading to a conventional World War on an unprecedented scale.

Or

You know, Aliens, from Mexico, now classified as invaders, using all those great guns we sold them in fast and furious...
Lets Just call this the Glen Beck answer for short.