Hunting Thread

blizzak

<Silver Donator>
Got my very first turkey on opening day today :) its all dressed and in the freezer, what a great day.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Congratulations. I have had a few turkey hunters and there are definitely some turkeys around, but nobody has told me that they shot one yet.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spanner

Silver Knight of the Realm
Work has me pretty busy right now, but I hope to be able to do a weekend spring bear hunt this month.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

only 10ppl can hunt grizzlys, he got one tag, he's gonna pay 600$ for the license to just take pics.

That's cool, there are 1,000 other gay ways to protest, this isn't one of em.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Hmm. In some states on limited draw tags such as this one if not enough animals are harvested they start drawing the next person on the list as a backup.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
lol i hope a grizzly eats him. When is grizz season? We need to keep a watch on this guy.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Wasn't sure if this should go in hunting, cooking, gardening, here, etc...

Edit: buying a dehydrator

Have a kinda crappy one. Want a nice one. Anyone have experience? The Excalibur brand gets good reviews, but the plastic makes me shy away from it.

Anyway, instead of creating a thread, cross posting it.

Last edited:

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Early Teal season starts in 4 days. It was 98F here in LA yesterday and 101F in Austin. Imagine going out teal hunting and neoprene chest waders. Someone is going to die in the first 15 minutes.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Got my first deer this weekend (whitetail). First hunt, got really lucky. Walked around the woods in some public lands here in Texas for about 3 hours before finding any fresh sign. Came across a doe moving around, found a well used game trail and squirted some doe urine around and on my boots. Posted up about 80 yds and within twenty minutes an 8 point buck moved in and gave me an easy shot. Right through the heart, clean kill. Holy fuck though, packing out that much from two miles deep was rough on my 46 year old knees.

IMG_20191116_093419888.jpg

IMG_20191117_074738422.jpg

IMG_20191117_102811629.jpg

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Got my first deer this weekend (whitetail). First hunt, got really lucky. Walked around the woods in some public lands here in Texas for about 3 hours before finding any fresh sign. Came across a doe moving around, found a well used game trail and squirted some doe urine around and on my boots. Posted up about 80 yds and within twenty minutes an 8 point buck moved in and gave me an easy shot. Right through the heart, clean kill. Holy fuck though, packing out that much from two miles deep was rough on my 46 year old knees.

View attachment 231879

View attachment 231880

View attachment 231881

Nice man.

I got a small 8 point a week ago.

Wasn't out stalking tho. Gratz.

Like that gold ring scope!

0338EF4F-4A77-4DEB-9884-BA05A8D732E7.jpeg

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Shit forgot

If you packed out the head, you can self Euro mount it by skinning it, then sticking it into a fire ant Hill

Siliconemelons

My co worker hunts turkeys, in fact I think that is what he is doing this weekend... thanksgiving and all :p

I should go with him...but like, I do not have a rifle... I have an AR...but...no one wants to be that guy shooting turkeys with a self inflated 22 ;-)

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
My co worker hunts turkeys, in fact I think that is what he is doing this weekend... thanksgiving and all :p

I should go with him...but like, I do not have a rifle... I have an AR...but...no one wants to be that guy shooting turkeys with a self inflated 22 ;-)

I think turkey is always done with a shotgun

• 1Like

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I think turkey is always done with a shotgun

Not always.

Siliconemelons Siliconemelons ask your buddy about that. If rifles are cool, ask him where to shoot and if you're accurate enough with it, go for it. I don't hunt turkey but I think rifle hunters try to hit them in the head because body shots ruin too much meat.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>

View attachment 231879

View attachment 231880

View attachment 231881

Did you cook some up and eat it right away? I haven't done that in years. The people I used to hunt with would do that. First deer killed was camp meat. There were always at least a dozen of us at the camp. When I was with my uncle, he'd cut out the backstrap right away and my aunt would have it chicken fried by the time we got done cleaning the deer.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Not always.

Siliconemelons Siliconemelons ask your buddy about that. If rifles are cool, ask him where to shoot and if you're accurate enough with it, go for it. I don't hunt turkey but I think rifle hunters try to hit them in the head because body shots ruin too much meat.

Afaik shotgun hunters shoot them in the head too. Lol

Going to try turkey hunting for the first time this year. Have at least two nests of them on our land. Flocks. Whatever. Lol

Supposed to be really hard to hunt.

• 1Like

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
it is archery Season in my area, so far no luck on my few times out (life interferes...or i oversleep on saturday) i have a 2 buck limit, no does for tags.

hopefully with my new "run and gun" tree saddle setup i can find a good spot to try this weekend as i try a new wild life management area nearby that i have briefly scounted but have not hunted yet. looking at the topo maps and sat images i think i have 2-3 spots i can setup around.

• 1Like