I am being given a business

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Khane

Got something right about marriage
"She was able to quit her job as a NICU nurse to sell scam products full time!"

Brad2770

So, the guy that was “giving me a business” turned out to be a real shitty person, so I ended up starting my own business. I stopped working with him because he was selling jobs that the customers didn’t need. I do not want to be part of a business like that.

I ended up getting my certified applicators in general pest and in termite. I took my General Standard. I established a business name, got my certificate of formation and my EIN. The only thing left to do is to is to transfer my license from my current employer to my business and to get my insurance. I have also bought a new 2021 Colorado work truck, a 100 gallon spray rig with a badass pump, two brand new top of the line mosquito floggers and about $3500 in chemicals.

So I have a question: Is my Texas Business License Number on my Certificate of Formation? If not, where would I locate that? I need it to transfer my license over.

452B98A4-DC1F-4649-A08A-1F63647189AE.jpeg
E4BDF99F-A81D-4DFD-A96D-30C8AB8035CA.jpeg
C4257F4A-968B-4235-BB54-587C342B7EC3.jpeg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So, the guy that was “giving me a business” turned out to be a real shitty person, so I ended up starting my own business. I stopped working with him because he was selling jobs that the customers didn’t need. I do not want to be part of a business like that.

I ended up getting my certified applicators in general pest and in termite. I took my General Standard. I established a business name, got my certificate of formation and my EIN. The only thing left to do is to is to transfer my license from my current employer to my business and to get my insurance. I have also bought a new 2021 Colorado work truck, a 100 gallon spray rig with a badass pump, two brand new top of the line mosquito floggers and about $3500 in chemicals.

So I have a question: Is my Texas Business License Number on my Certificate of Formation? If not, where would I locate that? I need it to transfer my license over.

View attachment 336671View attachment 336672View attachment 336673
So congrats. Things you didn't mention having done yet. Have you written a business proposal? Have you modeled your expense side of the business? How is your funding set up? Have you calculated your cash burn rate and how long it will last? How many customers did you steal from the other guy's business? Did you sign an NDA or non-compete? How many customers do you have? Have you already set up your social media accounts and website?] Got your business checking account set up? How are you doing your books, quickbooks? This is a very tiny fraction of the questions but I figure it's a start.

Brad2770

I’m sure I’ll get some flack for this-

Business Proposal- Not really sure what that entails.

Business funding- Not really sure other than until I get more money under my [business] belt, I know how many treatments I can get out of a bottle of chemical and I’m pretty much running with that now.

How my funding set up- I won’t spend more than I got.

My cash burn rate- put the above two together

Customers stolen- None for now, but will only try and steal the one I sold a year ago (no non compete with this one). Other than that, I wasn’t going to steal any. I’m not like that. I want to earn everything on my own.

Non-compete- I did sign one with my current employer. I’m not stealing customers. I will eventually use mailers and advertising, but fuck them. If legal shit comes up, I’ll deal with it. But contacting them because I know their address, I’m not doing that. Most likely will start with blanket mailers.

How many customers?- None yet. I’m not 100% legal. I’m trying to do everything by the book.

Social Media/Website- I have a website reserved. Nothing else. Never used social media. Was going to get my kid to help me with that Facetagram and Instabook stuff.

No checking yet. Want to get my license merged and insurance purchased.

I’ll be using quickbooks. My kid is building me a computer. I haven’t used a PC since 2013.

Brad2770

I do want to say my morals and my above par work ethic is what will bring me business. “My customers” with my current employer loves me. My current employer loves me. I always go above and beyond. I know I’ll be successful. Just need to learn the technical stuff when it comes to running a business. My customer service is exceptional as well.

Brad2770

Already got a covid option.

Most pest control, if done properly, never has to be applied indoors. Most of the chemicals I use are lethal to insects 45-90 days after application. And most insects have to go through the application to get indoors.

• 1Galaxy Brain
Reactions: 1 user

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Already got a covid option.

Most pest control, if done properly, never has to be applied indoors. Most of the chemicals I use are lethal to insects 45-90 days after application. And most insects have to go through the application to get indoors.
the phantom menace GIF by Star Wars

My man.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
I'm gonna say I didn't read any of this except that Brad is a Texan with ethics who wants to do a pest control bidnes. My real question is, PLEASE GOD, can we name it for you?
1613957933491.png

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Brad2770

I went with a generic pest control name. I thought of some witty ones, but I ended up with something along the lines of [Last Name] Pest Control.

Texas wouldn’t accept Millie is a Mantid.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Non-compete- I did sign one with my current employer. I’m not stealing customers. I will eventually use mailers and advertising, but fuck them. If legal shit comes up, I’ll deal with it. But contacting them because I know their address, I’m not doing that. Most likely will start with blanket mailers.
I could tell you how important to a startup ever single one of those things I mentioned are but you don't really seem all that concerned about it so I will only stick with the one at the top of the list.

To be clear, you signed a non-compete with your former boss who is the pest control company you used to work for? Or is it some other business having nothing to do with pest control (like a software company or a concrete company)? If it is a pest control company, does it have a longevity and radius where you may not compete?

Brad2770

I could tell you how important to a startup ever single one of those things I mentioned are but you don't really seem all that concerned about it so I will only stick with the one at the top of the list.

To be clear, you signed a non-compete with your former boss who is the pest control company you used to work for? Or is it some other business having nothing to do with pest control? If it is some other pest control company, does it have a longevity and radius where you may not compete?

It’s with the current company I work for. I don’t do pest control with the company I am with now. I do other work, but they do offer pest control. It’s 24 months. It doesn’t state a radius, but it does mention directly or indirectly soliciting current customers for services or employees for jobs.

And as for the other stuff, if you want to give advice, go ahead. I’ll surely consider it. I have always been the kind of guy that just jumps right in. I have had some pretty crazy successes in my life because I have no fear of the unknown.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
I went with a generic pest control name. I thought of some witty ones, but I ended up with something along the lines of [Last Name] Pest Control.

Texas wouldn’t accept Millie is a Mantid.
I was gonna say All my Latrodectus live in Texas. *sadface*

• 2Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Get a relationship with an accountant and a banker if you think you might need a loan. The accountant will keep you out of trouble and the banker will tell you if you're fucking up. Don't go to Wells Fargo or US Bank where they won't give a shit about you. Go to a credit union where the bank president knows your name when you walk in. Just don't let him loan you money you don't need.

As far as names go, I think it's obvious...

images

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Seems easy. Make up cheesy commercials in your head and name it after that.

Pest problem got you sad? Call Bug Bashin Brad!

I still remember car commercials from the 80s and 90s because of shit like that. And you can quote the jingle/slogan and people still know what you’re talking about.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I met a kid last summer named Tucker Tooberville. All I could think about the rest of the day was used car dealership slogans with his name in them. "Call Tucker Tooberville Toyota. The team you can trust!

• 1Worf
  • 1Like