I am being given a business

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
A few updates:

I have all of my old debt paid off except one bill. Currently working on that.

I should be moving into my new place this weekend. Once I move in, I set my business to the address, get insurance for the business and merge my license with the business.

I’m getting a wrap for my truck. They are working on the graphics now and will have a mock up by Monday. They will be giving me my logo so I can get that made up into some door hangers some business cards and maybe a t-shirt because I can.
History has shown me that baseball caps tend to work better as giveaways rather than t-shirts. Cheaper and more likely to get used regularly. A cap might get work every day by the person you give it to.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Brad2770

History has shown me that baseball caps tend to work better as giveaways rather than t-shirts. Cheaper and more likely to get used regularly. A cap might get work every day by the person you give it to.

Excellent advice.

The T-Shirt was for me though.

• 2Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
as someone who wears baseball caps that I don't buy, don't cheap out on the hats or you're wasting money. If someone gives me a shitty or ugly hat I'll take it but I'm not going to wear it. Better to give out 20 well made, good looking hats that people will wear than 50 cheap ones that will end up in the trash.

• 5Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 5 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Excellent advice.

If you don’t already know you can order nice customized polos from Staples for a decent price. If you want to always be wearing one when you’re on a site (Which I think you should be).

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
If you don’t already know you can order nice customized polos from Staples for a decent price. If you want to always be wearing one when you’re on a site (Which I think you should be).
+1 on this. The appearance wearing a polo vs a t-shirt is big from a customer perspective.

• 2Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
+1 on this. The appearance wearing a polo vs a t-shirt is big from a customer perspective.
Yeah. We’ve had concrete contractors out this week and the only one the wife and I have liked was the one in the polo. Had longer hair, beard, jeans but had a polo and showed up on time and took notes, followed up really quickly. The other contractors looked similar but showed up late, had tshirts on. One of the guys my wife commented “Did you see that guy? He looked like Kid Rock, no thanks.”

• 2Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah. We’ve had concrete contractors out this week and the only one the wife and I have liked was the one in the polo. Had longer hair, beard, jeans but had a polo and showed up on time and took notes, followed up really quickly. The other contractors looked similar but showed up late, had tshirts on. One of the guys my wife commented “Did you see that guy? He looked like Kid Rock, no thanks.”
I recall many moons ago when Bellsouth (now AT&T) went to a mandatory uniform policy for all customer facing employees. Before that our "uniform" was jeans and a white t-shirt. After the blue slacks and polo uniform rolled out, I could wander into almost any government or private building and never get a second look. I was free to wander anywhere without challenge. Customer facing employee appearance is critical.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
When I was a security guard in college they changed our uniform from looking like a ghetto sheriff's uniform to a blue short-sleeved button down shirt, grey slacks, and a tie. After that when I'd stop at the grocery store on the way home from work people would ask me where stuff was. I guess because I looked like the night manager or something.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
When I was a security guard in college they changed our uniform from looking like a ghetto sheriff's uniform to a blue short-sleeved button down shirt, grey slacks, and a tie. After that when I'd stop at the grocery store on the way home from work people would ask me where stuff was. I guess because I looked like the night manager or something.

You just carry yourself with authority. People are drawn to you.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Excellent advice.

I'm not sure I'd give out free hats tbh. As a guy who wears hats a lot in public I usually go for a sports team and not a pest control company, no offense. I do like the polo shirt idea though for sure.

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I'm not sure I'd give out free hats tbh. As a guy who wears hats a lot in public I usually go for a sports team and not a pest control company, no offense. I do like the polo shirt idea though for sure.
Depends. If I’m working outside and run to Home Depot and other stuff I’m wearing my work hat, which is a nice hat if whatever.
Same for fishing and anything else that isn’t a typical “going out” type activity where I know my hats won’t get dirty.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Depends. If I’m working outside and run to Home Depot and other stuff I’m wearing my work hat, which is a nice hat if whatever.
Same for fishing and anything else that isn’t a typical “going out” type activity where I know my hats won’t get dirty.

You have dress baseball hats and work baseball hats? Do you also have a fedora or two?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
You have dress baseball hats and work baseball hats? Do you also have a fedora or two?

You can't borrow one, last time I let someone borrow one I never got it back.

And yes, I have hats that I will sweat in and get all stained up and then yes, I have hats I'll wear out and about that are nicer

• 1Solidarity

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
le_grand_hat_1.jpg

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Brad2770

So quick question:

I tried applying for my business license on Saturday. In the process, the application asked for my 11 digit TIN (Tax Identification Number). I have my 9 digit SSN and my 9 digit EIN. Do I apply for the TIN? Should I already have it? I see a form on the irs.gov site (form W-9), but I’m not 100% sure I fill that out and it will give me the 11 digit number I need to finish the application process. Could I get some help and get pointed in the correct direction please?

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So quick question:

I tried applying for my business license on Saturday. In the process, the application asked for my 11 digit TIN (Tax Identification Number). I have my 9 digit SSN and my 9 digit EIN. Do I apply for the TIN? Should I already have it? I see a form on the irs.gov site (form W-9), but I’m not 100% sure I fill that out and it will give me the 11 digit number I need to finish the application process. Could I get some help and get pointed in the correct direction please?
You need to check with your individual state. You have an EIN which covers your income tax, but this may be asking you if you have the ability to collect sales tax. Having an EIN is generally required before applying with the state to be able to collect sales tax. Or it could be the state just adds a digit or 3 to your EIN. you need to see how your state calls this.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Ok. Got you. Since my state only does sales tax and not payroll tax, I wasn’t thinking in the state level.

I think this is it. Thanks Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes

Edit*

Look like this might be the proper form?

Caveat: I have never had a business in Texas.

Based on this part of the form, it appears this is to bill State agencies. Best bet is to call the state Dept of Commerce and they can direct you.

1622578264956.png

• 1Like

Brad2770

Caveat: I have never had a business in Texas.

Based on this part of the form, it appears this is to bill State agencies. Best bet is to call the state Dept of Commerce and they can direct you.

View attachment 356218

I think it may be the right form. At least this makes it seem so. I’m in Austin for work for the next week and a half. Going to try and find time and go down to get this taken care of.

• 1Like