I am being given a business

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I am aware what can be used against st, hence the lack of response.

I don't think he was even talking about it like that. You cannot have business conversations over text when there is nuance and real money on the line. You have to have those conversations in person and you have to be prepared. You have to have all of your points laid out, prepare what you think will be their counterpoints, and then expect to be blindsided by arguments that you couldn't even prepare for beforehand. This is like having a custody battle over email; it just cannot end well.

• 5Like
  • 2Truth!
Reactions: 6 users

Brad2770

you are way to open and way to emotional in your professional life.
San Antonio has broken me. I am living the results of my choices, choices that I did not think would impact me:

-being away from my son (especially after he fucked himself out of a great job opportunity with AA because he failed a drug test)
-the move itself being a nightmare.
-not knowing the area and traffic being insane.

yrah, I’m probably a bit more emotional than normal.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
1. I was going to take two weeks (I need it at the very least), but I was going to feel out my options. I had connections in Ft. Worth. I do not have any here.

2. The carrot on the stick has been a conversation before. There have been things that keep changing that always go against my favor.

3. When the opportunity arises, I will use this response. I am a fool not to get things in writing because I am a man that keeps my word. I have a hard time understanding that others don’t. I keep falling for it, hoping I’ll find a man as honorable as myself. Again, I am a fool.

Stop and take a deep breath. You are not a fool; you are trustworthy and expect the same out of the people you deal with. It sounds like you have a good thing going with this guy right now. You said yourself it is a money train. Conservatively, what percentage of the work are you responsible for and do you think you are getting the shaft for the work you are doing right now (even if there is no future partnership)?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I rarely send more than a few words in a text, and usually just one if I can manage it. "Okay" can answer some pretty complex questions.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I am aware what can be used against me, hence the lack of response.
That wasn't what I meant (though its a valid point also). I mean don't have real/critical business convos via text. Pick up the phone or ideally have it in person. Don't just drop a text "Hey I am on vacation for two weeks, cya" unless you had already worked it on previously and it was just a reminder. Then its "Hey just a reminder, I am gone the next two weeks like we discussed".

This isn't a "you" thing. Its an "everybody" thing. "I'm running ten minutes late, traffic" is a valid business text. "I was in an accident on the way to work and they are taking me to the hospital and I dont know when I will be back to work" is not a valid business text.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I rarely send more than a few words in a text, and usually just one if I can manage it. "Okay" can answer some pretty complex questions.

My girlfriend is always trying to have serious conversations over text both with me and others and it's a fucking disaster but I can't convince her to stop doing it.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
San Antonio has broken me. I am living the results of my choices, choices that I did not think would impact me:

-being away from my son (especially after he fucked himself out of a great job opportunity with AA because he failed a drug test)
-the move itself being a nightmare.
-not knowing the area and traffic being insane.

yrah, I’m probably a bit more emotional than normal.
Pick up the phone and call the boss and tell him exactly what you just typed. Apologize for the text convo and say it was just all the piled up stress kind of coming out.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Brad2770

Stop and take a deep breath. You are not a fool; you are trustworthy and expect the same out of the people you deal with. It sounds like you have a good thing going with this guy right now. You said yourself it is a money train. Conservatively, what percentage of the work are you responsible for and do you think you are getting the shaft for the work you are doing right now (even if there is no future partnership)?
When I was running in Ft. Worth, I was told that between the three guys running in Ft. Worth (me being one of those guys) and the two guys in San Antonio, for 2022, I did a full 1/3 of the total revenue for those businesses.

I am pretty sure I’m the reason we picked up the commercial accounts we have. Originally just in the DFW area, but when they found out I moved to SA, we got everything in SA and in between.

I’m not very liked in the business because I bitch a lot and call people out, but I’m also known for getting shit done, getting it done right and getting it done on time.

The lawn and pest control business is very incestuous. A lot of people have worked for all the main companies.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Pick up the phone and call the boss and tell him exactly what you just typed. Apologize for the text convo and say it was just all the piled up stress kind of coming out.
^

That he's heard about 2 weeks and quit also means you are venting to people that are not as confidential as you think

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I’m not very liked in the business because I bitch a lot and call people out, but I’m also known for getting shit done, getting it done right and getting it done on time.

This is going to be harsh but you need to grow up a bit if you want to be a boss. You sound like a drama queen in those texts and your boss would be an idiot to put his business in the hands of a drama queen. You saying you don't get along with people but you get the spray on the bugs sounds to me like you're saying "I'm not management material".

Anyone that's worked any kind of blue collar job knows a guy that bitches all day about how they are smarter than the boss and do more work than anyone else and they're not getting their due. Don't be that guy.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Brad2770

This is going to be harsh but you need to grow up a bit if you want to be a boss. You sound like a drama queen in those texts and your boss would be an idiot to put his business in the hands of a drama queen. You saying you don't get along with people but you get the spray on the bugs sounds to me like you're saying "I'm not management material".

Anyone that's worked any kind of blue collar job knows a guy that bitches all day about how they are smarter than the boss and do more work than anyone else and they're not getting their due. Don't be that guy.
I’m pretty much that guy.

• 2Worf
  • 1Picard

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
^

That he's heard about 2 weeks and quit also means you are venting to people that are not as confidential as you think

No such thing as confidential. I assume if it leaves my lips or gets typed somewhere, everyone will see/hear it. Better to just assume as much

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like

Brad2770

Yeah, one of the sales guys and I are good friends. He was the rat. I don’t hold it against him personally. We talked about it last night. He told the owner because he doesn’t want me to go. He also thinks I’m acting out of line.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah, one of the sales guys and I are good friends. He was the rat.
200.gif

• 1Solidarity

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, one of the sales guys and I are good friends. He was the rat. I don’t hold it against him personally. We talked about it last night. He told the owner because he doesn’t want me to go. He also thinks I’m acting out of line.

If someone else in the business thinks you're acting out of line, you probably are. Even if you don't think it is out of line the people in your circle are telling you with their actions. This actually makes his texts make a ton more sense.

I want you to really read the next thing I'm going to write because in the beginning of my career I was very outspoken and clashed with people I thought were idiots. I ran my mouth to co-workers in confidence that *somehow* got back to those people and management (sound familiar?).

I am not going to type the whole story, but I had a boss that I thought was bad (and he was bad) but the company loved him and he was always a person that upper management pointed to as who to model behavior after. After a particularly bad quarter I had the option to tell him what I really thought and then bust my ass and look for a new job or just fucking put my ego to the side and do what this guy said when and how he said it. I chose the latter option and within months my life was 100 times easier. I was doing what he said without complaint so he couldn't tell me I wasn't doing my job; soon he was pointing to me as the example of someone doing the job the way it should be done to both struggling employees and his bosses. In the end he got promoted to managing a higher level sales team..... and asked me to come work for him within a month.

It sounds like this boss knows how good you are but is trying to get you to just put all that shit aside and learn the business of being in business. Right now you are an employee; one that could leave at any time for any reason. Why would he promise you skin in the game if you threaten through back channels to leave while talking about how important you are?

The moral of my story and my suggestion to you is that you need to put your ego and hopes/dreams for the future aside. Shut your mouth at work, treat the other employees like colleagues and not friends, put your head down and DO THE GODDAMN JOB. Oh, and he knows all about you from his daughter. He also sees it as a liability that you come to the new place and immediately start hitting up another employee (and his fucking daughter) on a level that is not appropriate.

So there is the choice, buckle down and start acting like a professional or keep job skipping and miss out on opportunity because you treat everyone like family and not like bosses/colleagues.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Brad2770

Grade A advice. I think you have hit the nail on the head and you made a genuine impact. Thanks.

• 1Like

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
When I was running in Ft. Worth, I was told that between the three guys running in Ft. Worth (me being one of those guys) and the two guys in San Antonio, for 2022, I did a full 1/3 of the total revenue for those businesses.

I am pretty sure I’m the reason we picked up the commercial accounts we have. Originally just in the DFW area, but when they found out I moved to SA, we got everything in SA and in between.

The lawn and pest control business is very incestuous. A lot of people have worked for all the main companies.

From everything I've read in this thread, and granted some of it I haven't read in months/years.....you sound like a great worker (employee), but you lack the temperament to be a leader (employer). Kind of like what your boss said in his text.

You do the opposite of what every good boss should do. You need to not bitch in public, not vent in public, you talk to your employees in private when they have an issue, you document EVERYTHING with HR, you come up with plans such as PIP for improvement.....none of which I think you are ready to do. No offense. You can't be emotional. You can't chase office pussy. You can't bitch and complain. You need to lead by example.

I can see his hesitation in allowing you to share in the business, as you don't seem emotionally stable enough to be able to handle what comes with being a business owner. Everyone always bitches about their bosses, how they get treated like shit....but the reality is VERY FEW people are suited to be business owners. People always look at how much money they make and be like "yeah, I can do that". I'm here to tell you most people can't.

You should advocate for a minority stake/ownership position, one where you are NOT the front for the company, one where you can keep you head low and do all the grunt work. That's your strength I think.

• 1Like

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Also first things first. You need to let him know if you plan on staying or leaving the company. It's the professional thing to do.

• 3Like