Have a laugh.

rrr_img_110218.jpg

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
These days when I see
rrr_img_110219.jpg
it means that
rrr_img_110220.jpg
is getting clicked pretty quickly. I am ruthless with that button.

iannis

Musty Nester
The problem with diamonds in the rough is that 99% of the time you're just holding a piece of shit!

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
May have I havent checked on it since this morning when I made this post. If so, this thread can become the "games on steam that you should avoid" thread or sumthin

Added not showing up in steam search and the link redirects to steam front age so it seems so.

His video on steam was him waving his middle fingers at the camera and drinking whiskey so it doesnt surprise me if so lol

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Anyone have a short synopsis of what the fuck is going on with this, so I don't have to go looking around to sate my curiosity? What's the weird shit about his parents/gf wanting him to fail?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Short synopsis appears to be:

1. Dude puts up a game on greenlight with a different title
2. Game gets greenlit
3. Dude changes name of game and puts up a promo video of him giving everyone the finger while drinking whiskey
4. Steam pulls game

Pretty sure the girlfriend/family stuff, all of it, was just a joke trying to reverse psychology sale his game. Can't say for certain.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Indie games are copying the business model as well as the graphics of the Atari 2600 it seems.

Szlia

There are games that try to very closely emulate the aesthetic of historic machines, but this game is not one of them! If anything, it looks like an early flash game.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
The best part is that it costs $100 to flag your account so you can submit games. Pair that with steam refunds and dev time/resources 99% of these games are straight losses.

That's why you are now seeing joke games like all the ones listed here. They are banking on the "le funnay"of the title/theme to go viral so they can make some quick cash.

Szlia

There was a wave on indies in the '80s that would make small run of games on tapes that were sold in consignment in electronic stores in their neighborhood. The 2nd wave of indies though, the one that started in the early 2k with games like Uplink, that predates Steam or indie focused efforts such as Manifesto Games, and that got amplified with cheaper and easier to use SDK such as Torque, Flash or Unity, better media coverage and big storefronts (Steam, AppStore), this 2nd wave without a doubt is a boom that did happen.

The diversity of content available today is dramatically bigger than even 10 years ago (or, at the very least, the quantity of this diversity is - because in all era of video game history you can point at a few very strange games). The quality is variable, as it always has been and always will be, and, as the field is broad, it's not surprising that most people do not enjoy its entirety (you'll never catch me playing a RTS or a connect-3 game for instance). If anything, the broadening of the field (or the vitality of this broad field) is a sign of maturity of the medium.

Saying "oh there was a bunch of good indie games but that's been over for a while" is a bit silly when in 2013 Papers, Please was in many GOTY lists, as was Kentucky Route Zero in 2013 and in 2014 for Act III. This year, I would not be surprised to see some mentions of Everybody's Gone to the Rapture or Her Story (even if both left me a bit wanting - my indie game of the year for now is Beeswing, but no one played it so...).

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Video games have always invaded new electronic platforms. Facebook, Mobile, Non physical PC downloads like Steam all opened new markets and the small producers were able to capitalize on them faster then the larger companies. Lower quality games were able to succeed because of lack of higher quality choices on new platforms in the beginning.

The above new platforms is what created the recent boom but now those three new platforms have stabilized in total market size for video games. There is no longer rapid 50% growth in demand for video games on those platforms. The competition on those platforms is also now to the point where most small producers have no real chance of making money.

Without new platforms arriving and the saturation of existing platforms created by a the tidal wave of new games flooding the market and drowning the vast majority of small producers. The evolutionary life cycle video games is taking hold again with smaller companies ether growing, dyeing, or being bought. The eventual end state of EA owning every single video game ever created still marches forward.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I think that most indies were always terrible, it's just that for a while Steam and media could keep up and highlight the diamonds before the torrent of crap got too much. You can see that the new market are mobiles, but nobody curated that market in the first place, so it was immediately flooded with cheap knockoffs.