I want to siege castles!

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
I want to attack castles, maybe make them too and build towns as well, that is less important.

Closest I have is Total War Shogun 2 and Empire, neither so hot in the castles department though the style is good otherwise. As much as I love Mount & Blade, Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis 4 it doesn't really have the thing I'm looking for.

You guys usually point me in good directions when I ask stupid shit like this, so:
What suggestions do you have for me?

Sorran_sl

shitlord
Have you tried the Stronghold series? I'm honestly not sure how the latest one (Stronghold 3) holds up, but I had a lot fun with the first one (many years ago now) doing exactly what you mention
smile.png

Sulrn

Deuces
First game I thought of was Stronghold, as has been mentioned multiple times.

Castle Sieging is a genre that hasn't been covered well in recent years though.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I want to attack castles, maybe make them too and build towns as well, that is less important.

Closest I have is Total War Shogun 2 and Empire, neither so hot in the castles department though the style is good otherwise. As much as I love Mount & Blade, Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis 4 it doesn't really have the thing I'm looking for.

You guys usually point me in good directions when I ask stupid shit like this, so:
What suggestions do you have for me?
This was posted in the Pantheon thread on the mmo section.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance by Warhorse Studios Kickstarter

Not going to be out for a long time, but seems to have what you are looking for.... sometime in the future... if it gets funded.

You will not find any dragons, half-naked Elven warriors, or wizards in Kingdom Come: Deliverance. At no point will you have to collect seven pieces of a legendary magic staff to defeat an ancient evil bent on destroying the world with an army of demons. We think there are enough such games out there.

We want to bring you a strong story rooted in the height of the Middle Ages, brought to life in all its glory. So what is Kingdom Come: Deliverance? Think of it as Braveheart: The Game. Majestic castles, armored knights, large, open field battles, and political intrigue set in a vast, emergent world. We want to make the experience as authentic as possible ? real-world locations, real castles that don?t look like something from Disneyland, period-accurate armors and costumes, combat and fencing systems designed in collaboration with the most knowledgeable, skillful swordsmen around, and a story based on actual, historic events.

All this, on a foundation built capably upon the solid game mechanics of a true, hardcore RPG ? nonlinear quests with multiple solutions, branching dialogue choices with points of no return, several roles to play (warrior, bard, thief), a mountain of different stats, skills, perks, and ultimate character customization details (including 4 layers of clothing and armor in 16 equippable slots!), as well as alchemy and crafting professions, the need to sleep and eat to stay healthy?even food that goes bad if it sits in your inventory for too long!

We?re mixing the freedom and mechanics of Skyrim, the setting of Mount and Blade, the storytelling styles of The Witcher and Red Dead Redemption, and the tough combat dynamics of Dark Souls into a single, gorgeous package. You could say we?d like to give ArmA (a franchise many of us worked on) an RPG makeover, streamlining the systems and controls and polishing the overarching world while keeping the unique, genuine feeling of its action and environments. Interested?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
chivalry is one of the top ones. Mount and Blade: Warband is great too, but the siege gameplay takes a backseat to the open-field mounted combat. One thing it has going for it is that it has an excellent modding community that really improve the game. I'm playing through a game of thrones conversion atm and while it's the same shit it's fun taking King's Landing, Bravos etc.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Stronghold is the game you are looking for, maybe even the first one.
Actually the first Stronghold (PC) would be this one wouldnt it, but im quite sure its not the one you were trying to point out.

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/642/Stronghold.html

Anyway this one i linke is free and i also get the itch to play it for a few like once or twice a year.
Keep in mind the interface is terribad for today standards.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
My only experience with Stronghold was the second one and it did not impress. Maybe it was me but it sure had a steep learning curve and didn't feel terribly balanced. That said, the game does pretty much fit the description of what you're looking for. Maybe you'll take to it better than I did.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
chivalry is one of the top ones. Mount and Blade: Warband is great too, but the siege gameplay takes a backseat to the open-field mounted combat. One thing it has going for it is that it has an excellent modding community that really improve the game. I'm playing through a game of thrones conversion atm and while it's the same shit it's fun taking King's Landing, Bravos etc.

The truth is that siege warfare is by nature pretty awful. Once a wall is breached it's a giant turtle of dudes smashing into another giant turtle of dudes in a big clusterfuck. Unless you're the guy with a bow and a good hiding spot it's not that compelling of gameplay.