Icarus (Survival, Rocketwerkz)

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Still enjoying this w/ friends, a couple screens.

20211213224640_1.jpg
20211217141025_1.jpg

This one reminds me a lot of Conan:
20211219123709_1.jpg

This base near the edge of the arctic and jungle biome had some wild lighting at different parts of the day, was great.
20220116170635_1.jpg

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
They update weekly. New missions, and have started expanding the roguelike tree of workshop items you can buy. IMO this is still lacking and/or im not sweaty enough to speedrun for resources to buy the 'best' stuff - which IMO is not super over the top great anyways). Apparently there's a space station coming at some point, too.

The biggest thing this week was the updates to tier 4 recipes. It was super expensive, they both reduced the cost as well as made the resources more plentiful. IMO it's still not in a great spot, but it's so much better. Even with these changes the mission we're on that requires them is still going to result in us having to raid nearly a dozen caves to get the materials we need.

The only reason to get that far in tech tree on a prospect is to build a radar to find patches of ore and the extractor to mine it. A problem with that right now though is they aren't random, so you can just look them up. :(

Sites like this help, I don't mind using them because we keep coming back down to this same planet, why wouldn't we have access to intel in some form.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
One of my kids and I decided to give this one a shot. Whenever I find something he is interested in playing together, I just roll with it.

Anyone still playing this game? I didn't know much about it going into it and it's as hard as a wedding dick. We're figuring it out but god damn.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
My group is playing about a prospect a week, though we've taken the last week or two off as I've been busy at a conference and the scorpions / weather changes are an added bit of difficulty that are still being tuned.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I played some with Mao and we had some funny times. Accidentally burning your house down is hilarious.

They did pretty good with environmental dangers, but the suit thing is just strange. Obviously there's good air as deer are running around and such. And a rainstorm somehow affects you in what looks like a space suit?

It kind of feels like they wanted to do armor sets and such but got lazy and just kept you in a spacesuit because it was easy to model.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I played some with Mao and we had some funny times. Accidentally burning your house down is hilarious.

They did pretty good with environmental dangers, but the suit thing is just strange. Obviously there's good air as deer are running around and such. And a rainstorm somehow affects you in what looks like a space suit?

It kind of feels like they wanted to do armor sets and such but got lazy and just kept you in a spacesuit because it was easy to model.

Yeah the story isn't very coherent. Like how am I going down in a spaceship and spacesuit but I am building stone tools and armor out of vegetation? The food, water, O2, storm damage, etc. all feel a little too tedious.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
A lot of that is handled in some form or another though. For example if you make stone buildings that doesn't take damage and removes that tedium. In some armor you can ride out most tame storms because it helps against exposure. You can make tools with the resources you've earned from missions and bring them down with you (be sure to take them back or you'll have to pay to reprint them).

I'd recommend the air and water cannisters primarily. I have a friend who uses all the 3d printed tools from orbit. I don't really, because an iron knife and a titanum pick aren't super difficult to get or anything on a mission.

Some of this is just because that system hasn't been fleshed out much yet. For example they're tweaking temperature impacts so that things you wear and eat/drink are more meaningful.

Starting a new one up today now that I'm back from a conference, looking forward to the new mining nodes they're putting outside of caves and what that does to the gameplay loop overall. Also my first mission since unlocking the blueprints for the cave worm weapons and stuff.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
It almost sounds like SWG style deep deposits. In SWG the resources would shift after awhile. Sometimes a few hours, sometimes a couple weeks.

It only really makes sense for the mantle, and really most planets have a much thinner crust than what we have here. I'm def doin that in my someday-made survival game.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Last week they released another 8km x 8km map, doubling the area to do missions in and built with lessons learned from the first.

They continue to add meaningful updates every Thursday night since release... Updated weather, more crafting options, new missions, creatures and world boss(es).

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
They are adding a lot of stuff but I don't see getting around the fundamental tediousness of the game. I got my hours out of it but I probably won't be coming back.

Also, I'd really like to see them focus some effort on optimization.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Also, I'd really like to see them focus some effort on optimization.

Yeah this could use some work. You've never been able to see further than on this new map with it's deep river-carved valleys, and they're fogging things and just blanking the terrain at some point in the distance and still my performance isn't what I'd hope it would be.

1653937593842.png