Inkbound (Monster Train devs)

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Is anyone else playing this? The demo is free for a bit on Steam and is an open beta. You can play solo or up to a group of three. There’s three classes in the demo, looks like five have been created so far and it shows slots for a lot more. It’s tactical, turn based, roguelike. Skills and movements use up energy each round. You can see enemy attacks projected on the ground so you can get out of the way, turn them around, etc.

I went in blind and ended up playing for a few hours, beat the last boss with the hammer class. Lots of abilities and modifiers, I could see this game really having legs with runs playing quite a bit differently depending on the modifiers you pick. I’m interested to see more classes, just the three currently available were pretty cool, the weaver guy did some unique stuff. Hammer dude could put up massive crits if you focus on it. Didn’t play the rogue guy much yet.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Couldn’t really find a short video that jumps right into the game. This one has some good gameplay at least, just have to jump ahead 12 minutes or so.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, it's great fun, although the 'buy currency' button has me concerned. Hopefully it's cosmetics and not toxic mobile gaming bullshit.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, it's great fun, although the 'buy currency' button has me concerned. Hopefully it's cosmetics and not toxic mobile gaming bullshit.
Yeah I looked that up before I posted here. Looks like it’s all cosmetic.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Playing the demo, thread guy seems really OP. After like 4 attacks I can do a 900+ dmg AoE using dread stacks.
NM tried the moss dude, he destroys shit even more and looks like you need that kind of damage output.

Edit: This is game is fantastic, like just under supergiant games level of cool shit. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Last edited:
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Playing the demo, thread guy seems really OP. After like 4 attacks I can do a 900+ dmg AoE using dread stacks.
NM tried the moss dude, he destroys shit even more and looks like you need that kind of damage output.

Edit: This is game is fantastic, like just under supergiant games level of cool shit. Can't wait to see the finished product.
I had the hammer dude so fucking OP, his big attack was doing thousands. One of the bosses had like 9k hp (I think) I killed on the second round. I like that you can stack the hell out of one ability to make it OP, was fun. I’m really looking forward to checking out the other classes, the threadwraver felt unique, hoping the others can pull off that level of uniqueness too.

Wondering how MP would be, seems like it would need a lot of coordination or could get out of hand pretty quick. Party members turning the mob towards you would be annoying.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I had the hammer dude so fucking OP, his big attack was doing thousands. One of the bosses had like 9k hp (I think) I killed on the second round. I like that you can stack the hell out of one ability to make it OP, was fun. I’m really looking forward to checking out the other classes, the threadwraver felt unique, hoping the others can pull off that level of uniqueness too.

Wondering how MP would be, seems like it would need a lot of coordination or could get out of hand pretty quick. Party members turning the mob towards you would be annoying.
Cool, had bad luck with hammer dude. Got alot of stuns but not a ton of damage. Eventually was doing 700+ in bleeds though.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I'm cruising through my first few fights w/ the threaded magic guy, pretty neat concepts, not sure if the game overall is for me but will have to put it through it's paces co-op w/ some friends for sure.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Cool, had bad luck with hammer dude. Got alot of stuns but not a ton of damage. Eventually was doing 700+ in bleeds though.
I picked +physical any time I had the option. Also got multiple boosts to crit chance, crit damage, and guaranteed crits. I noticed when you get a modifier of like +2 physical your physical attack on your tooltip goes up much more than that, so theres some formulas at work, not sure what was boosting it though.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
And by cruising I meant 'I haven't faced a boss yet and now my ass kicked'

Was kicked for AFK then wasn't able to start another dive once I reconnected. Others were in one, so if that happens to you may need to restart the client.

Last edited:

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I tried this and really had no idea what I was doing... I'll give it a go again later maybe

velk

Trakanon Raider
I picked +physical any time I had the option. Also got multiple boosts to crit chance, crit damage, and guaranteed crits. I noticed when you get a modifier of like +2 physical your physical attack on your tooltip goes up much more than that, so theres some formulas at work, not sure what was boosting it though.

Physical power gives you +10% damage to physical attacks, magic power gives +10% to magic attacks, and ability power gives +10% to both

Hammer guy is pretty damn funny if you ascend Smash into Tantrum - that massively increases the damage, and if you kill something with it, it refunds a Will(energy) point and resets the cooldown.

I really like their re-imagining of turn-based - so simple, but so fluid and satisfying.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I tried this and really had no idea what I was doing... I'll give it a go again later maybe
Each turn you have some energy points on the right, the blue bar. Moving will deplete some, every skill depletes some. Skill energy cost is displayed on each skill. Use your movement and skills to do damage and end the turn where you won’t get hit.

You can see how much damage you’re going to take on your HP bar on the left before you end the turn. You want to make sure you’re out of the way of enemy skills, as you move around you will see the HP bar going up or down as a “preview” of the damage you’ll take before you end the turn. Generally you want to save one energy so you can position yourself properly to not take damage before you end the turn.

As you progress through a run you’ll augment your skills to do things like more damage, or get money or energy on hit, crit %, etc. You’ll also get some relic things (on the right, opposite your skills) that do all kinds of shit, similar to relics in slay the spire.

As you go through a map you’ll get choices on what the next island will be. Do I want to heal? Or do I want to augment my skills? Do I want to get more money? Etc. Your choices will determine how rich, or how strong your skills are.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Beat it with the weaver, just need to finish with the rogue dude now.

bolok

Trakanon Raider
This seems quite cool. Figured out the gist of the mechanics, eventually. Prolly give it a go with the other classes to check out how they roll.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Beat it with the weaver, just need to finish with the rogue dude now.

How do you beat it, does a dive end at some point?

edit: ah ok, just finished a run w/ rogue dude.

Last edited:

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
So is this demo just a short term thing? When is the game actually launching? I don't want to get invested if it's going to be an up/down thing and a while until launch