Insomniac's Marvel's Spider-Man 2 PS5 releasing Oct 20th 2023

spronk

FPS noob
Reviews are in, 91/100 on metacritic so far with a lot of 10/10

1697469706876.png

I'll be picking this up at gamestop friday morning. I really liked the first game and Miles Morales and it sounds like this is more.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I figure by the time I get around to actually playing Miles Morales (which has been in backlog since whenever Spider-man Ultimate released on PS5) this will be on Extra.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i REALLY liked the first one, but the miles morales game felt... hmm... derivative? that feels weird to say about a sequel (or spinoff or whatever you want to call it), but it felt like narratively it was... i'm not even sure. i got it. narratively it felt like when you were a kid and you put your dad's shoes on and haphazardly put on his tie and then walked around the house dressed as "Business Man."

gameplay-wise it was totally enjoyable, voice work was great, sound and level design and all the things that technically need to come together to make a game fun were all there, just the story didn't do it for me at all. like i just couldn't suspend my disbelief that the characters were doing what they were doing. miles himself was totally fine, it was the supporting cast that i just could not get behind AT ALL.

i'm hoping that with both peter and miles being the leads, as well as venom and kraven being the focus, that it won't feel like a bunch of side nobodies with delusions of grandeur, and from ACG's review it sounds like that will be the case so that's good. anyways, i was kind of iffy on this but the reviews so far seem to be high praise.

• 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
This was always a no-brainer for me since I loved the original and Miles Morales so much. Sadly for now, I am so busy I am not sure when I'll get around to playing it.

spronk

FPS noob
I don't think it'll beat Baldurs Gate 3 in terms of pure story, world, and value but it also doesn't look like it'll be a ubisoft-style "this game never fucking ends" either. So far HLTB shows 18 hours to finish just the story and 30 hours to 100% the game.

by comparison miles morales was 8/18, and spidey 1 was 18, 40 so spiderman 2 seems actually a tad bit shorter although the same if you just do story.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Yeah from what I've seen/read, the SP2 story is packed with over the top cinematic set pieces, etc. One reviewer I follow described it as the best interactive superhero product ever, if you enjoy bombastic super hero stuff. Sounds great to me!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

joz123

Potato del Grande
Yeah from what I've seen/read, the SP2 story is packed with over the top cinematic set pieces, etc. One reviewer I follow described it as the best interactive superhero product ever, if you enjoy bombastic super hero stuff. Sounds great to me!
Reviews I read had people saying this is what Spider-Man 3 movie should have been instead of the emo dark peter and shit.

• 2Like

spronk

FPS noob
target has the spiderman ps5 console up for $560, its the "older" model not the newer slim coming out in a month or so but comes with spidey covers, spidey controller, and game i think

spronk

FPS noob
picked the game up last night at gamestop, over 200 people in line for spidey and about 20 for mario wonder. Lotta people in spidey costumes and stuff, it was pretty cool. Only an hour in but really enjoying it

Sounds like the game is about 20 hours for story and 30-35 hours to 100% so not too bad, about the same as the first game.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Loving this too, fantastic advertisement for marvel and optimizing games around one system. Could easily end up my goty with cp2077 xpac.

This game makes you feel like a super hero straight up, I think it’s quite a bit better than gow2

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
yeah, the entire series is pretty great in regards to meking you feel like spider-man. i'm a few hours in and having a blast. the low moments are the random crimes and activities. they aren't bad, just they haven't really changed much at all since the first game, but they are short little side things to do for exp so it's not a huge deal. they also seem to have the least amount of care given by the devs. i've had SEVERAL goofy issues where bad guys show up driving straight through debris or buildings. not gamebreaking by any means, just feels like a ton of care went into this game EXCEPT for those moments

• 1Like

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So is it as good or better than the first two?

Might buy the digital game tomorrow but damn they are expensive.

Amycus

Lord Nagafen Raider
So is it as good or better than the first two?

Might buy the digital game tomorrow but damn they are expensive.
I feel like combat opens up much earlier than I remember in the first one, and you can cross the city fast as hell right out of the gate.

• 2Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Game is fucking epic.

Although I ran into the infamous tutorial slow motion bug and … instead of wondering what the fuck was going on stared at the animation quality 😂

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users