Insomniac's Marvel's Spider-Man 2 PS5 releasing Oct 20th 2023

spronk

FPS noob
biggest issue i stumbled across was the mysterio challenges, they have bugged a few times for me and put enemies under world so I can't finish but even without that I am not even coming CLOSE to gold times. Probably need to upgrade some stuff and get better at using abilities to defeat stuff faster.

It doesn't sound like you need to really gold any of them to 100% the game so its nice they didn't tie the platinum to some bullshit like that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

MightyMadman

Lord Nagafen Raider
So FOH is the game a SJW hellhole that Twitter been telling me. Something about Spider-Man PS4 I could never finish the game.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have zero doubt the gameplay is fun, but I'm not paying for it.

I know pirating doesn't move the development needle much, but fuck 'em.

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
It just depends on what you can tolerate. There are some mentions of gays. A side quest that deals with helping a kid ask out his boyfriend to prom (personally, the quest would have been just as annoying if they were straight), black cat mentions she has a girlfriend... In comics she's never been interested in anyone but Spider-Man, so feel free to be offended that they changed the character from the source material, but they changed all kinds of characters from the source material but that's the only thing anyone complains about.

I wasn't bothered at all through my playthrough except for a couple of eye rolls, but I also am not surprised by how offended conservatives are by it.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
It just depends on what you can tolerate. There are some mentions of gays. A side quest that deals with helping a kid ask out his boyfriend to prom (personally, the quest would have been just as annoying if they were straight), black cat mentions she has a girlfriend... In comics she's never been interested in anyone but Spider-Man, so feel free to be offended that they changed the character from the source material, but they changed all kinds of characters from the source material but that's the only thing anyone complains about.

I wasn't bothered at all through my playthrough except for a couple of eye rolls, but I also am not surprised by how offended conservatives are by it.

We're not offended by this shit, we're sick and goddamn tired of it being shoehorned into literally fucking everything. They can make as many faggot simulators as they want and sell them to whoever the fuck wants them. Make a whole goddamn BLM fiery-but-mostly-peaceful riot game for that audience. No one cares. Just stop fucking putting it in games that it doesn't belong.

• 8Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 10 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
We're not offended by this shit, we're sick and goddamn tired of it being shoehorned into literally fucking everything. They can make as many faggot simulators as they want and sell them to whoever the fuck wants them. Make a whole goddamn BLM fiery-but-mostly-peaceful riot game for that audience. No one cares. Just stop fucking putting it in games that it doesn't belong.

Yeah I think it's a "death by a thousand cuts" thing where people are tired of the sheer volume of it. Politics and political beliefs have infiltrated every hobby any of us ever tried to have in peace. Escapism is a very important thing and when we're constantly yanked out of our escapism by real-world ideology-pushing it gets grating after a while.

That said I have no problem with characters randomly being gay or whatever. I didn't like how the first game made Kingpin Tower (or whoever it was) into Trump Tower and covered up the first name on it with plywood (so it was just "_____ Tower") and put graffiti all over it. That was very clear political stuff. And I know they're dying to have some Mostly Peaceful Protests in the game to make excuses for why breaking and burning is totes okay as long as you're really upset about the right causes.

All of that said, I assume that most of this stuff is being overblown a bit and that the game is probably fun if you don't dwell on different instances of this stuff. Not real keen on spending money on it but I'd certainly Redbox it or something if those still exist. Modern Spider-Man games are incredibly fun.

If anything rustles me it's that they tried to change the entire Spanish language to accomodate gender-neutrality. That's almost as insulting as the word "latinx", came from a similar boardroom of white people, and would similarly go over as well as a fart in church if you asked actual Hispanics how they feel about it.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

j00t

i mean... i get it, i do. "the message" is exhausting. that being said, this game takes place in new york city. have any of you been lately? there's plenty of gay people there. of all the people i've rescued in this game, one voice line mentions his boyfriend thinking spider-man is great (of which, i admitedly heard the same line twice).

two students are mentioned to be gay because one of them asks spider-man for help, and again, i assert that quest would have been aids regardless of sexual orientation.

and black cat has a girlfriend, something they've changed from the comics. they changed harry osborn from the comics. they changed venom from the comics. they changed wraith from the comics. they changed dr conners from the comics. i'm 100% on board with respecting the source material but pointing out that black cat is different but not a SINGLE OTHER CHANGE is some high level bigotry. i don't agree with the lgbtq lifestyle but that's basically as far as it goes for me. you absolutely ARE offended by it all, and that's okay, you do you. i completely understand why you would be. i just also think it's ALL SO TIRESOME. both sides of the argument.

• 1Like
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
pointing out that black cat is different but not a SINGLE OTHER CHANGE is some high level bigotry
Gee I wonder what it is that makes that change stand out compared to the others. Is there a difference between altering a character to better fit with the story compared to dykewashing a character that's been straight ever since she was first introduced 45 years ago? They lack the ability to create anything of their own which is why they steal characters from straights to turn them gay, somewhat reminiscent of the way they rape children to spread their degeneracy irl.

Gonna reuse a metaphor I just used on Chris. You're standing on top of a dam watching water trickle out of a crack and saying 'its no big deal, hardly any water can get through!'.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

j00t

Gee I wonder what it is that makes that change stand out compared to the others. Is there a difference between altering a character to better fit with the story compared to dykewashing a character that's been straight ever since she was first introduced 45 years ago? They lack the ability to create anything of their own which is why they steal characters from straights to turn them gay, somewhat reminiscent of the way they rape children to spread their degeneracy irl.

Gonna reuse a metaphor I just used on Chris. You're standing on top of a dam watching water trickle out of a crack and saying 'its no big deal, hardly any water can get through!'.
i mean, there's plenty of changes they made to other characters that absolutely didn't need to be changed. the symbiote and dr conners for example. just no reason for it to be made at all. also no reason to turn harry into agent venom, specifically because it makes NOOOOO sense to do so other than to artificially drum up emotions. same with scream, same with anti-venom. and this means they can NEVER do a proper agent venom story, scream or anti-venom. you could argue that there's too many symbiote stories to tell, and so it's fine to adapt some of them to fit into a peter and harry story. i'd argue that's not really the case since it's pretty likely for a venom spin-off and now you've already told a BUNCH of venom stories without ever introducing brock, flash, and killing off mac gargan. AND they did a take on king in black story with only having 2 symbiotes. there's still some carnage stuff to do but they did some weird fire cult stuff with that instead.

again, i have NOOOOO problem with someone criticizing all of that. it should be criticized. but it just seems silly when it's only criticized for having 3 gay couples.

edit: i'll also point out that they took away he symbiotes fire vulnerability. they are vulnerable to 2 things, sound and fire, and yet you have both harry and peter in the symbiote suit running headfirst into fire saying "the suit will protect me." they made cletus kassidy a pyromaniac and carnage is famously MORE vulnerable to fire than venom. and you guys are mad that some dude in school is gay.

Last edited:
  • 1Faggotry
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
i mean... i get it, i do. "the message" is exhausting. that being said, this game takes place in new york city. have any of you been lately? there's plenty of gay people there. of all the people i've rescued in this game, one voice line mentions his boyfriend thinking spider-man is great (of which, i admitedly heard the same line twice).

two students are mentioned to be gay because one of them asks spider-man for help, and again, i assert that quest would have been aids regardless of sexual orientation.

and black cat has a girlfriend, something they've changed from the comics. they changed harry osborn from the comics. they changed venom from the comics. they changed wraith from the comics. they changed dr conners from the comics. i'm 100% on board with respecting the source material but pointing out that black cat is different but not a SINGLE OTHER CHANGE is some high level bigotry. i don't agree with the lgbtq lifestyle but that's basically as far as it goes for me. you absolutely ARE offended by it all, and that's okay, you do you. i completely understand why you would be. i just also think it's ALL SO TIRESOME. both sides of the argument.

Have you always been a giant pussy or is this new?

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Caeden

Ah so this was another white male “passing the torch” to his near fucking identical (but that makes NONE of the mistakes of the exceptionally flawed original white male character) more diverse replacement.

I’m playing the first for the first time. Think I’ll stick by my rule of rarely playing sequels.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Picked this up, trying it out. Thoughts:

-I really hope I get most of the $75 I spent on it back on Ebay when I finish it. Noting this not because $75 is a lot, but because the fact that I'm thinking about this at all while playing tells me that I've got a bunch of buyer's remorse already and want a recoup.

-Miles is really whiny in this, at least during battles. I don't remember him being like this in the Miles game. When him and Peter are going back and forth during battles, Miles' whiny voice gets grating fast.

-The game has basically been nonstop fights so far, like I'm playing Maximum Carnage again or something. They're not breaking it up with story segments or character beats, at least at this early stage. The reason the first game (and a half) excelled was that it told a great story and the character beats had heart. This is just "beat up thugs" over and over again.

-I'm especially sick of the sand-men that constantly pop up everywhere.

-I'll say this for Pros: Miles is fun to play as with the assortment of powers he's got.

-The visuals look AWESOME which is unsurprising for a ground-up PS5 game.

-The Sandman fight was really exciting.

A word of advice: Going with Fidelity (Graphics mode) and enabling 120 HZ Display Mode cranks up the framerate from "awful" to actually quite good. It isn't gonna be Performance Mode good, but it's good enough, and you WANT Fidelity Mode on to see all the light effects and reflections. Fidelity by itself is like 30 FPS (or worse) and looks super stuttery, but combining it with 120 HZ Display Mode bumps it up to like 40+ and it's a world of difference. Basically playing it in 4K/40 with that enabled, when the normal settings are like 4K/sub-30 and 1080/60.

Need to have a TV good enough for this though, and older TVs that don't support 120 HZ are gonna be SOL.