Insomniac's Marvel's Spider-Man 2 PS5 releasing Oct 20th 2023

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
1700002792200.png

Photo I took in NYC the other day

Just kidding, it's a screenshot from the game. The fact that we can web-swing around NYC freely in a game that looks like THIS is pretty astounding, everything else aside.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
How buggy is this game? I'm playing Miles Morales on PS5 and it's a mess. Find it really hard to believe Sony let this out this unbaked and it's still a mess over a year later. Hard crashes, missing quest 'triggers' , etc.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
How buggy is this game? I'm playing Miles Morales on PS5 and it's a mess. Find it really hard to believe Sony let this out this unbaked and it's still a mess over a year later. Hard crashes, missing quest 'triggers' , etc.
It’s semi-buggy still. I got turned into a cube several times and still experienced a lot of shit like enemies falling through the world which made me have to restart missions.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i had a couple minor visual bugs, certain costumes were small white boxes until i restarted, norman osborn was invisible for 1 cutscene. i had 1 hard crash that happened right after i manually saved the game, which seemed to be tied to actually saving the game, and wouldn't have happened if i didn't save it, but who knows.

every bug i had happened after the game had been running for quite some time, i'm including the ps5 being in rest mode where the game was still running. turning the ps5 completely off made the game go back to running super smoothly.

as far as invisible npc's and white square costumes go, they said they patched this (after i was done playing the game) but apparently people are/were still experiencing that bug. for me they happened at the same time so they might be related, either way, restarted the game fixed it all

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I got stuck inside a building once in the newer game. It wasn't a building you could enter, I just hit it while swinging and clipped through, and wasn't able to get out. Don't remember if I ended up fast traveling (think it prevented me from doing that) or just reloaded my last save.

Didn't have any memorable issues with the first 2.

spronk

FPS noob
Got the plat today, its pretty wild that 20% of the people who have bought the game have platinum'd the game already. Thats a pretty high percentage. Super easy platinum as well, can do it all in one playthrough, clean up anything you missed after story is complete, and with all the recent patches I think they fixed the bugs that got some people stuck at 99% for some of the trophies.

Good game, it started getting a bit repetitive near the end but the last few missions are cool and interesting. There is some annoying shit in the game, like the Danika podcaster is just horrible to listen to with her dumbass comments, would rather have the hilarious Jonah shit talking all the time but oh well. Nothing else was really super annoying most of the time.

Swinging around the city is really the best part of the game, combat is really fun too and its nice having the move list a swipe away so you can get pretty gud at it. Only real disappointing thing about the game i'd say is Kravens story, it is strong for most of the run but sorta ends abruptly and I felt pretty unsatisfied with not getting more backstory on him and his family. I hope its not planned as a prequel DLC or something. Should be interesting to see how the upcoming Kraven the Hunter movie compares with this portrayal. I can't imagine the movie being good at all.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Got the plat today, its pretty wild that 20% of the people who have bought the game have platinum'd the game already. Thats a pretty high percentage. Super easy platinum as well, can do it all in one playthrough, clean up anything you missed after story is complete, and with all the recent patches I think they fixed the bugs that got some people stuck at 99% for some of the trophies.

Good game, it started getting a bit repetitive near the end but the last few missions are cool and interesting. There is some annoying shit in the game, like the Danika podcaster is just horrible to listen to with her dumbass comments, would rather have the hilarious Jonah shit talking all the time but oh well. Nothing else was really super annoying most of the time.

Swinging around the city is really the best part of the game, combat is really fun too and its nice having the move list a swipe away so you can get pretty gud at it. Only real disappointing thing about the game i'd say is Kravens story, it is strong for most of the run but sorta ends abruptly and I felt pretty unsatisfied with not getting more backstory on him and his family. I hope its not planned as a prequel DLC or something. Should be interesting to see how the upcoming Kraven the Hunter movie compares with this portrayal. I can't imagine the movie being good at all.
yeah, one minute you're playing a game building up to kraven as the main villain, then you blink and it instantly changes to a game with venom as the main villain. it's somewhat telegraphed, but the switch does feel pretty abrupt

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
You know what really rustles my jimmies? The way it refers to both characters as "Spider-Man" in the subtitles. It gets real confusing real fast when playing the game on mute late at night. Why not just call them "Peter Parker" and "Miles Morales"? Oh yeah, because they were making a statement about both guys being equal and Peter being replaceable. Nice accessibility for deaf people.

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I fell off this game when I killed Kraven and Venom monsters started popping up instead. How much of the game is left after that?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Just got to the part where you play as MJ with the taser. How much is left? Totally comical how this untrained 100 pound girl seems more effective at beating up these giant Hunter guys than either of the Spider-Mans are. Holy shit. Is this kind of media the reason why people are okay with men playing in women's sports?

Anyway I haven't found this game bad at all outside of a few minor annoyances, and I like that the city is bigger than the first, but it just lacks all the "magic" that the first (and the Miles spinoff) had. Not even sure why. Way too many brawling sequences and they really drag on. When I think of the first two games I think of swinging through the city and fairly heartfelt cutscenes with the characters. When I think of this one I think of endless brawls that go on way too long, overpowered MJ, and the city being kind of empty. At least it looks really nice.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Wow, this Danikast thing is annoying as fuck. This podcast that plays over the game while you're running around the city and has no apparent way to skip or turn it off. She gets increasingly subtly communistic as the game goes on and by the 60% mark she's using Karl Marx phrases. I'm like "what the fuck" and eventually find an option to turn her off buried in the menu somewhere. At least it exists at all. She seemed to play like 4x for every one time I got a Jonah Jameson podcast. They went full Archie Bunker / Alex Jones with Jameson to make him all blustery. I think you're supposed to like the purple-haired commie girl and dislike Jameson, but I'd be willing to bet that like 90% of players end up feeling the other way around.

• 1Like

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Wow, this Danikast thing is annoying as fuck. This podcast that plays over the game while you're running around the city and has no apparent way to skip or turn it off. She gets increasingly subtly communistic as the game goes on and by the 60% mark she's using Karl Marx phrases. I'm like "what the fuck" and eventually find an option to turn her off buried in the menu somewhere. At least it exists at all. She seemed to play like 4x for every one time I got a Jonah Jameson podcast. They went full Archie Bunker / Alex Jones with Jameson to make him all blustery. I think you're supposed to like the purple-haired commie girl and dislike Jameson, but I'd be willing to bet that like 90% of players end up feeling the other way around.
Huh there was separate toggles to turn her and JJ off in the gameplay options in MM.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah danikist, the high school romance-helping shit, deaf ugly girl, and MJ the assassin were the only real annoying parts of the game. I didn't really like the mysterio shit either but it was a good place to git gud at combat, I think I only gold starred one of them (you don't need to gold star any of them for trophies).

The game currently is trading in for $35 at gamestop but if you trade in 4 games (or more) you get a 40% bonus, plus 10% with pro. So $52 for spidey 2 and mario wonder. I'm trading it in today, feels good to pay basically $20 for a AAA game at launch.

game overall was good, it didn't really do anything new (except gliding) and I wish you could have played as the third character (starts with a v...) a lot more and the story was pretty mid especially how it suddenly switched stories 75% through but I enjoyed it more than god of war ragnarok. I think probably just due to combat and how awesome it was running around a massive new york city again.

it definitely doesn't hold baldurs gate 3s jockstrap in any way, its silly the two games are in the same category of GOTY.

• 1Truth!

Nija

<Silver Donator>
The list of "only real annoying parts of the game" seems to grow week after week.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The list of "only real annoying parts of the game" seems to grow week after week.

Yeah. I went into this wanting to give it a fair shot and thinking the annoyances were just a sliver of the overall picture. As the game progresses though, the annoyances grow and grow. All of the social commentary is about as subtle as a sucker punch to the head while walking down 5th Avenue.

Game is fun and worth playing to an extent and I do intend to beat it one of these weeks, but I REALLY regret giving them the money. Could have easily picked it up at a library or a redbox.

Changing MJ's look to make her look just like one of the devs, instead of like the actual gorgeous model who they mo-capped, is another thing that's...just plain weird.

I think the biggest annoyance of all was when I found out that they REWROTE THE SPANISH LANGUAGE. Gendered terms (-a and -o) are generally replaced with... -e, which isn't actually a thing in Spanish. I speak Spanish so I found this incredibly obnoxious.

Yes, they FIXED SPANISH by removing those hateful and bigoted gendered suffixes. The only problem is that the whole Spanish language is built around masculine and feminine terms. You can't just turn all of them to -e. I bet the devs are pretty much all white people too, making decisions that they think are speaking for those defenseless minority groups that they need to save. Maybe they can be modern pilgrims and bring the Woke religion to Latin American cultures and explain to those people that Catholicism is evil and they need to rewrite their language to gender-neutral -e terms. I'm sure that will go over SUPER well with those groups they're speaking for.

Oh yeah and they put a Cuban flag in Miles' room. Miles is Puerto Rican. Puerto Rico and Cuba have two different flags, as they're two different countries.

What. The. Fuck.

• 1Truth!

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
This game was good, but suffers from the same shit GOW did, been there done that. Would like to see both studios iterate a bit more

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I fell off this game when I killed Kraven and Venom monsters started popping up instead. How much of the game is left after that?
That's probably 75-80% through the story with another 3-4 hours if you're slow rolling/playing on higher difficulties.

• 1Like