Investing General Discussion

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I've never owned shares. But with the market right down, I choose to jump in.

I'm not going to try for quick gains, I just bought a mixed range of shares, looking to see the value rise over the next few years. I bought these yesterday after doing a careful pick and choose. ( all Australian companies BTW ) I finished down yesterday . . . but today, the markets here just closed 15minutes ago. Today I'm up, my gain was close to what my take home pay is for a normal week. Feels good.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Do a little of both, drop a position you are most concerned about to raise cash for another decline. Selling everything is a gamble that can leave you having to buy back higher. Time in the market beats timing the market. I have raised cash again on this bounce but I'm still keeping longs even though I think a decline is likely.

I contemplated this, but had a bad feeling, sold almost everything. Sitting on 95% cash waiting to re-enter.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Next two weeks are probably going to be spicy as fuck. Shutting down the economy is just not sustainable long term, yet we are going to do it long term. Quarantines extened to late may, june? The fact that doing that probably won't stop the spread of this either, but slow it down a little.

This is going to ruin the lives of 100+ million people to actually not really save any lives, just prolong them. When people start wanting their money, it's gonna get ugly.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Down 30%, and fuck my life I'm thinking about selling.

Knew this shit was going to be bad, but didn't think about how stupid the people running things are.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Down 30%, and fuck my life I'm thinking about selling.

Knew this shit was going to be bad, but didn't think about how stupid the people running things are.

Selling at this point carries more risk than earlier times. That said, I think it's likely we'll go to at least 15k, and possible we go as low as 12k. My own plan is to buy back in at ~15k or 4 weeks if we aren't trending down enough.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I only check our accounts once a month. Haven't sold anything, only been buying. We're down about $120k.

But that's only looking at months end. Had I checked mid-February at the top, and mid-March at the bottom, it'd probably have been about $160-170k.

Fuck that's painful.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pops

While you see the big number drop, it doesn't always hit home til you get that monthly statement.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Speaking only for my myself, but selling at the bottom is a really bad idea, unless you absolutely need the cash. I know it is hard, but stay the course if possible. Fear is the arch enemy of investing (well fear and Elizabeth Warren).

That being said, if you have a dog position and after an analysis decide the upside long term is bleak then cutting bait on the dog isn't necessarily a bad idea. I ate a loss on M, I didn't like it but it was the right move as I just felt the risk of bankruptcy was greater than them just selling off the real estate (which would be better for investors). Selling out your entire portfolio at the bottom can create losses it could take 10 years to recovery from. Or you just stop looking at it, and let it recover on its own in a year or so.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
XLRE Real estate Put options up 32% since I bought it 2 days ago. Commercial RE is going to be so fucked in the near future.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
XLRE Real estate Put options up 32% since I bought it 2 days ago. Commercial RE is going to be so fucked in the near future.

I said it at the start of this crash. Fed was going the wrong way. They needed to kill off some companies intentionally and early and do a controlled burn of bad financials by RAISING standards, not removing them with the money train. Their repo operations are probably the main reason I predict more downturn. Free money doesn't exist. Instead of attacking the cancer, they just fed it and let it grow at the worst possible time.

Not all commercial real estate is fucked, but the companies without a lot of liquid certainly could be.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I said it at the start of this crash. Fed was going the wrong way. They needed to kill off some companies intentionally and early and do a controlled burn of bad financials by RAISING standards, not removing them with the money train. Their repo operations are probably the main reason I predict more downturn. Free money doesn't exist. Instead of attacking the cancer, they just fed it and let it grow at the worst possible time.

Not all commercial real estate is fucked, but the companies without a lot of liquid certainly could be.
I think there was a Ted talk or something about the Fed response to 2008. I remember posting it elsewhere and people said the guy was a moron. But essentially his thesis was that everything the Fed did in 2008 made the recession worse.

My gut reaction is that it's the exact same situation now. Their meddling is always poorly timed and usually the worst option.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I think there was a Ted talk or something about the Fed response to 2008. I remember posting it elsewhere and people said the guy was a moron. But essentially his thesis was that everything the Fed did in 2008 made the recession worse.

My gut reaction is that it's the exact same situation now. Their meddling is always poorly timed and usually the worst option.

Prolly not if your trying to slowly dump whatever financial instruments the fed is propping up.

They are sacrificing the countries interests, for a small group of people's money.

Its fucking treason dude. But its so common now ppl dont even recognize it for what it is.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I dumped my positions while still ahead about 7%, I've been trying to time the swings. Beginning of the month with a lot of bad economic news had me feeling like 1st half of April is going to look similar to mid March.

X is looking more appealing with talks of infrastructure, I had a nice gain yesterday but still sold.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I dumped my positions while still ahead about 7%, I've been trying to time the swings. Beginning of the month with a lot of bad economic news had me feeling like 1st half of April is going to look similar to mid March.

X is looking more appealing with talks of infrastructure, I had a nice gain yesterday but still sold.

Isolationist policies will probably be a LOT more politically viable in the coming few decades. And X is definitely a company that will benefit from a swing like that. Mexico will likely also hugely benefit from anything like that, and could definitely see this strengthening our trade ties with them a lot, since they are pretty much our vassal and not a real country, and could not shut down sending goods to us without our approval.

• 1Like

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
1. Knowing how retarded the fed can be. Every day I feel like we've hit the peak, but the fed just keeps finding more ways to one up itself. I agree with almost nothing that they've done.

Gonna let you in on a little secret. It's not the fed that's retarded. They are doing what they do intentionally.

• 3Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Prolly won't. But it's not easy to watch it all burn. Esp when I fucking knew better and should have sold in Feb
Assuming it is long term investments, just don't look. It sounds crazy but it will ease the anxiety.

• 3Like