Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Ackshually, I have just independently decided that now is a good time to just sit tight.

I have the strangest urge to look at John Deere stocks though...
DE got crushed a few months ago with the employee strike and earnings (which were good, just not OMFG great) and thats when I grabbed some. I flipped mine for profit and kept what I bought for my Mom. It is quite overpriced right now in my opinion. PE is almost 24 which is crazy high for an industrial stock.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Let me preface this by saying I am not a T fan. I know the company intimately. I own it in my mom's portfolio because it is/was a safe dividend play.

That out of the way, it doesn't mean I wont consider T as a swing trade. Making money is making money. This article is worth a read. The idea is that for every 100 T shares you own you are getting 24 DISCA shares next month (with the Warner spin off). The other idea is that this spinoff has already been priced in by the market. T is going to own 71% of the new DISCA/Warner company. At its current $23 share price the market is pricing T at $17 a share and the DISCA shares at $6 a share (thus $23 for T). DISCA will be valued around $61 billion as a company. With the dividend already cut to $1.11/yr, at $23 share price the div yield is 4.8%. So you get a nearly 5% Dividend yield plus free DISCA shares. There is belief that DISCA will also pay a div at some point with the Warner cash flows. One option is to keep the 5% yield play and dump the DISCA shares immediately for quick money of the table. The other is to hold them and wait. There will be price volatility in both stocks while this all shakes out.

If you have any interest the article is linked.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Interesting that my mom's accounts are almost back to their peak high in January. Low beta, blue chip income provider portfolio really shined during the last three months of chop. That is the upside of a low-beta build.

1648129068769.png

• 4Like
  • 1Tendies
Reactions: 4 users

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Jobless claims 187K, Exp. 210K Continuing claims 1350K, Exp. 1400K
Durable Goods -2.2%, Exp. -0.6% Durables ex transports -0.6%, Exp. +0.6%
Nickel limit up 2nd day
G7 To Warn Putin Against Chemical Or Nuclear Weapons
North Korea testing ICBM, South Korea concerned, tests its own missiles as warning.
Russian Stocks Surge At Re-Open
Supreme court nominee political granding continues.
Fed message remains inflation too high, wants to engineer soft landing by not slamming breaks
China finds black box of crashed plane, working with NTSB.
1648129173136.png

1648129202043.png

The lack of liquidity is starting to really show itself in price action.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Sold half my Mom's ABBV at $159.75. She was in at $60 and I needed to cut that position and pull the chips off the table.
edit: sold her DE at $435.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Small price bump from this. Surprised this didn't hold. Poors seem to love pay monthly schemes.

13:00 $AAPL Reportedly developing hardware subscription service for iPhones and iPads, which could launch by end of 2022 or 2023 - press
- Users could buy iPhones and iPads the same way they pay for iCloud

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Poors seem to love pay monthly schemes.
One of the worst things the modern economy has done is to train everyone to outsource their cash flow management, at a premium, obviously, and accept everything as a subscription (or debt payments). Cars, medical/dental care, consumer goods, entertainment... The lifetime cost of that business model is staggering.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
One of the worst things the modern economy has done is to train everyone to outsource their cash flow management, at a premium, obviously, and accept everything as a subscription (or debt payments). Cars, medical/dental care, consumer goods, entertainment... The lifetime cost of that business model is staggering.
something something you will own nothing.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Let's Go Brandon!
  • 1Clown World
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Sold my UNH at $513. Second time I have flipped this stock which I love. It has run really hot and the PE has gotten too inflated for me at this level. Almost 40% profit in about 5 months.

One thing I am trying to get better at on my buy and holds is acknowledging that even a great company can get overheated and to take the profits and look for re-entry on a downturn.

• 1Tendies

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I am officially green on FB thanks to dollar cost averaging back around $190. Take me to the promised land Zuck.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Weed stocks moving.

14:57 (US) House committee to consider bill again to decriminalize marijuana (**Note: Similar bills have passed House but did not move through Senate) - press
** NOTE: 12/04/20 (US) House of Representatives passes marijuana decriminalization bill (as expected); measure likely will not be taken up by the Senate and likely will not become law