Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
WTI prices down under 17$ a barrel. Looks like they are going to need a bigger production cut. This is gonna be a bad year for canada's GDP.
Oil is fucked right now. Spot price is basicslly meaningless because they are writing off the current contracts. Its all about the contango.

Look at the June/July prices vs May. May contracts are basically being written off so there is no bid which drives the price down to basically free at this point. No one is buying the contract because there is no one to actually take possession of the physical crude. Like I said, Oil is a bit more complex than stocks. Expect June to fall off a cliff as well. We can't burn the glut of crude we have and there is no place left to store what they are pumping.

Screenshot_20200419-205515_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Futures are flat. I honestly don't think the market knows what it wants to do right now. We got about 12 hours for someone to tweet something to drive it one way or the other.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Now the June contract is falling apart. Market still just shrugs it off, it may be red but we are only giving back the last hour of trading on Friday.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
So, temporarily lost about 110-120k so far on China bat aids. I say temporarily because I don't sell. 30% of my portfolio is in less volatile assets like bond funds etc in order to ride stuff out like this I can liquidate those first. I hold long term so this is a bump in the road. Disclaimer: I've never done my own investing. I have a well regarded firm that's been doing it for about 13 years now. They've done a killer job, our relationship is awesome. My assets are all in funds of sorts for diversification purposes. My advisor's general rule of thumb is that buying individual stocks/bonds/etc isn't great for diversification unless you're investing 2 mill+.

I think it's time for me to get more involved just for the sake of knowledge. My thought has always been why try to do something that other people are already doing who are more knowledgeable on the topic (my advisor/firm). More so that for me personally to feel confident to invest I'd need to do a shit ton of research and my time is limited (can only pursue so many things at once).

Next month my time frees up and I'm thinking about taking 5k from that less volatile pool and making some of my own investments.

Given the context of my scenario is this a worthwhile pursuit for someone who can't devote full time to this and already has someone who does it? I feel like it is but my time is spread thin. My biggest problem is at what point do I gain enough knowledge to make that call to invest? I'm not really one to make a decision unless I research it hardcore.

Edit: I mean I look at this thread and feel like I should read an economics textbook first.

Last edited:
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The advice that you need 2m to invest in individual stocks is dubious at best.. Grossly unprofessional and ignorant at worse.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
So, temporarily lost about 110-120k so far on China bat aids. I say temporarily because I don't sell. 30% of my portfolio is in less volatile assets like bond funds etc in order to ride stuff out like this I can liquidate those first. I hold long term so this is a bump in the road. Disclaimer: I've never done my own investing. I have a well regarded firm that's been doing it for about 13 years now. They've done a killer job, our relationship is awesome. My assets are all in funds of sorts for diversification purposes. My advisor's general rule of thumb is that buying individual stocks/bonds/etc isn't great for diversification unless you're investing 2 mill+.

I think it's time for me to get more involved just for the sake of knowledge. My thought has always been why try to do something that other people are already doing who are more knowledgeable on the topic (my advisor/firm). More so that for me personally to feel confident to invest I'd need to do a shit ton of research and my time is limited (can only pursue so many things at once).

Next month my time frees up and I'm thinking about taking 5k from that less volatile pool and making some of my own investments.

Given the context of my scenario is this a worthwhile pursuit for someone who can't devote full time to this and already has someone who does it? I feel like it is but my time is spread thin. My biggest problem is at what point do I gain enough knowledge to make that call to invest? I'm not really one to make a decision unless I research it hardcore.

Edit: I mean I look at this thread and feel like I should read an economics textbook first.

Lurk and snipe shit others are doing.

This question has been asked every other week for months, and the answer is ETFs and Boeing. Lol

• 1Worf

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>

The biggest thing to know about economics is a chimp throwing a banana peel will do about as good as a PHD economist in investing. Sometimes you'll get it right, sometimes you'll get it wrong. The biggest thing is to make sure you're throwing your bananas in the game.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Lurk and snipe shit others are doing.

This question has been asked every other week for months, and the answer is ETFs and Boeing. Lol

Lol. Ok, I'll go back a few months and start reading. Thanks.

The biggest thing to know about economics is a chimp throwing a banana peel will do about as good as a PHD economist in investing. Sometimes you'll get it right, sometimes you'll get it wrong. The biggest thing is to make sure you're throwing your bananas in the game.
Thanks, that's encouraging.

Pops

What do they charge you for this privilege? They got you in ETF's? How active are they? Just parking your ass in ETF's any one can do whether you have 100 bucks or a billion.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Says everyone who has never actually studied Economics except via Reddit posts.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Foler Foler go back and read this thread for the last couple of months. It won't take long as this isn't the politics thread. There is a lot of helpful advice on some basic investing thoughts.

• 1Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>

A balanced index like Vanguard Balanced Index Fund (VBIAX) is only down a few percent on the year and has an expense ratio of 0.07% if you are paying extra for under performance might want to reconsider your choices.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Warning Will Robinson!! Warning!!

If you are thinking about playing the oil game today and don't really understand commodities, oil and contango I would really advise against it.

That is all.