Investing General Discussion

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I don't understand why everyone thinks he has an angle here beyond getting his hands around what he is about to purchase. If you offered $100 million for a tire company that claims they are making 100 million tires a year and once you get into their books you find out that every fifth tire is defective then you are going to go back and tell them that the old offer isn't good anymore because they were misrepresenting their company. This is why the biggest part of any M&A is the book vetting. Ask Shonuff Shonuff about buying a small business and what a fucking shitshow it is there trying to figure out if the numbers the owners give you are correct.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
If Elon Musk was willing to pay $45B for a company that was effectively a black box to him at the time he is still willing to pay $45B after he's gained some insight to the inner workings.

However if he ends up having to pay only $40B for the company... why wouldn't you hoot and holler until you did?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I don't think he's going to walkaway, this is all just standard posturing for negotiation.

Twitter understates their bot counts and you argue a bit and shave $1B off the pricetag? That is what they are going for.
Compared to its peers, Twitter would be worth under $30 billion and closer to $20 billion right now if Musk wasn't buying it. He's definitely trying to shave off more than a couple billion.

But he still needs a legal justification for backing out of the $44 billion. He'll have to pay the penalty + lawsuits even if he does come back with a $30 billion price.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Compared to its peers, Twitter would be worth under $30 billion and closer to $20 billion right now if Musk wasn't buying it. He's definitely trying to shave off more than a couple billion.

But he still needs a legal justification for backing out of the $44 billion. He'll have to pay the penalty + lawsuits even if he does come back with a $30 billion price.
It will be litigated for sure but I think you are right it should be worth 30 or less which makes the 1b break up fee peanuts next to that 14-24b gap.

he probably even has enough justification that Twtr won’t even get the 1b in full.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Still really unsure of keeping my 1st home as a rental vs sale and invest in some other way.

Bought 255, worth about 500. Mortgage 3% $1700, could rent for about 22-2400. Complicated by shitty dying trex deck and ac is vaginally shot, so if i keep it, likely need new heater/ac as a major expense and possibly getting deck fixed./ replaced with a simple patio.

Feel like long term rental maybe painful but strongest. Short term be nice to have money to buy a tractor and pay off my $30k car whenever ford finally builds it, but with inflation fell like the 200k profit will just be worth half in a decade.

I have no idea how heavily the rental income is taxed either.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Still really unsure of keeping my 1st home as a rental vs sale and invest in some other way.

Bought 255, worth about 500. Mortgage 3% $1700, could rent for about 22-2400. Complicated by shitty dying trex deck and ac is vaginally shot, so if i keep it, likely need new heater/ac as a major expense and possibly getting deck fixed./ replaced with a simple patio.

Feel like long term rental maybe painful but strongest. Short term be nice to have money to buy a tractor and pay off my $30k car whenever ford finally builds it, but with inflation fell like the 200k profit will just be worth half in a decade.

I have no idea how heavily the rental income is taxed either.

I've been a landlord for about 8 years.
My properties are in similar situation as yours: still paying off the mortgages and rent is 2000-2400.

Covid was a little scary because every month i was not sure if the rent would come in. Having good tenants is the key really. Luckily my tenants kept paying through covid.

So... I can't say what you should do, just consider:

Are State policies anti-landlord?
Economic situation - will tenants be able to pay through hardship?
Any large repair/ maintenance bills coming? Roof, Hvac.
Do you have savings to handle any large repair or month(s) of unpaid rent?
Will you use a realtor? - I recommend it to help vet tenants and to provide a good rental agreement.
Are you willing to be on call 24/7 ?
My tenants seem to always have an issue on the weekends.

Just my 2c

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
1652711151550.png

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
14:17 [TWTR] Elon Musk: There is no way to know the number of bots on Twitter; Lowest estimate of Twitter bots would be 20% - tech conf comments

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Launch Fail
Reactions: 2 users

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
This whole thing with Twitter... just crazy. If we had a real DOJ or SEC or FBI, fake traffic from bots would be called what it really is: FRAUD. They're lying for financial gain. How is that not crushed with extreme prejudice? Why isn't there class actions or something that could bring this down? It's really starting to look like we're adding another coin to the Alex Jones Was Right box...

• 3Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
This whole thing with Twitter... just crazy. If we had a real DOJ or SEC or FBI, fake traffic from bots would be called what it really is: FRAUD. They're lying for financial gain. How is that not crushed with extreme prejudice? Why isn't there class actions or something that could bring this down? It's really starting to look like we're adding another coin to the Alex Jones Was Right box...
I imagine that is another big risk for TWTR, if Musk manages to prove they understated their bots by such significant margins the lawsuits will come. if its 20% instead of 5% do you see advertisers suing for 16% back for whatever is still in the statute of limitations, that could be such a massive number it could bankrupt the company.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Do you think the SEC/DOJ/FBI have the expertise to 100% guarantee that an account is a bot?

Just cause your aunt and all her friends are starting Twitter accounts that sounds fake and retarded like QAnon4Life125493345345, using their .rus email addresses, to engage in legitimate discourse against the policies of our aging President, doesn't mean there aren't real people behind those screens.

• 1Jonesing