Investing General Discussion

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
These people can only make money in a boom/bust economy. They can't make money in a stable economy where you have to actually produce value to get ahead.
I feel like he is wrong in the idea that we should immediately go back into easing but right in the idea that getting to a neutral rate faster is better, otherwise we are just going to be in this exact situation for another year where the will they won't they on rates is an anchor around the markets neck.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The issue with the hike today becomes about credibility. Markets have been pricing in a 75bp move. However, Powell had just said 75bp moves are off the table at the meeting last month. Doing an about face on that admits that inflation is out of control and that he is wrong.

Despite the fact I think we need a >75bp move now, I fully expect a 50bp move as planned, while Powell floats the 75bp moves ahead being “data dependent” as usual.

This opens the door to bigger hike moves while saving credibility. At least saves credibility to most that don’t really understand wtf is going on.

A 50bp move as planned could spark a little relief rally in markets. If Powell comes out big dick and moves 75bp, I think markets react quite strongly in selling, but start to round out a bounce in coming days / weeks. Remember it’s uncertainty markets don’t like. Bad news out of the way and markets can reprice and move on.
I think there are a fuckton of moving parts with this decision today. SCOTUS is releasing more decisions today because of Juneteenth on Monday. SCOTUS always gives a heads up to the WH ahead of "big" decisions. Rumors are coming from reporters that Roe gets released today (reporters of course getting leaks from WH). Congress cancelled their 1/6 circus tonight because "tired". IF SCOTUS overturns Roe at 10am, I expect the markets to react to the riots that may ensue. This would give Janet cover to go Volcker with rates. IF Roe is announced, then a 75 or even 100+ rate hike might be on the table.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I feel like he is wrong in the idea that we should immediately go back into easing but right in the idea that getting to a neutral rate faster is better, otherwise we are just going to be in this exact situation for another year where the will they won't they on rates is an anchor around the markets neck.
I made a post in the inflation thread about it, but the Fed is so reactionary that they're always going to be chasing inflation. Which means they'll never raise rates at the pace to combat it. We need a proactive Fed that looks forward, but that's just not who we have.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I wonder if they've tried lowering prices.

I saw this and chuckled and then immediately caught myself because you are one of a handful of people on this forum that might actually be serious about this comment.

Well played.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Unexpected by who, exactly?

Same phenomenon I keep mentioning. Who the fuck are these people that are getting even "neutral" economic news and aren't expecting worse numbers every month? What metric or sector is actually doing well enough to make positive statements about anything related to the economy?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Same phenomenon I keep mentioning. Who the fuck are these people that are getting even "neutral" economic news and aren't expecting worse numbers every month? What metric or sector is actually doing well enough to make positive statements about anything related to the economy?
Gas industry and Russian ETFs.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole

They need to act like any bad numbers/news is temporary or unexpected because Biden and the White House get on stage every day and keep repeating the "greatest economic growth ever!" lie, so they've painted themselves in a corner, and you know the media loves carrying their water.

• 1Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
10:12 [TSLA] PlainSite legal blog makes renewed allegations of fraud against Telsa

- Tweets: "We obtained internal $TSLA documents from a number of whistleblowers that prove that Tesla and Elon Musk have been defrauding investors for years in a variety of different ways. But the most important is that Tesla has been lying about how many cars it sells...The word "deliveries" is a nonsense word. A lie. It has no consistent meaning within Tesla. Different systems at different times have defined the term differently. There are a lot of different systems at Tesla, and the definition has gone through material changes over time."

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ford CEO stating that auto loan delinquencies increasing.

Follow up on this I find interesting: He also states that SUV demand remains robust despite gas prices. I remember living in the states in ~2005 (pre financial crisis) and gas prices hit $3 and people lost their minds. SUVs were being severely marked down and used market was basically giving them away. Meanwhile, Toyota Prius was on months long backorders.

I guess the takeaway is, people in general still have some cash piles and willing to bear those costs. See if this situation changes come an actual prolonged recession.

Also:

Last edited:

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Ford CEO stating that auto loan delinquencies increasing.

Follow up on this I find interesting: He also states that SUV demand remains robust despite gas prices. I remember living in the states in ~2005 (pre financial crisis) and gas prices hit $3 and people lost their minds. SUVs were being severely marked down and used market was basically giving them away. Meanwhile, Toyota Prius was on months long backorders.

I guess the takeaway is, people in general still have some cash piles and willing to bear those costs. See if this situation changes come an actual prolonged recession.

Also:

I don't know if Ford specifically does this but most car manufacturers are selling production up to 6 months out with deposits so their sales are much stickier than they were in 2005 since even with gas up you aren't going to give us a 2k deposit on the F150 you ordered in January.

I can't imagine they won't feel some extreme pain from the double whammy of rising interest rates and rising fuel costs pushing people away from their most profitable vehicles. They really aren't super well positioned in the EV space either.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I don't know if Ford specifically does this but most car manufacturers are selling production up to 6 months out with deposits so their sales are much stickier than they were in 2005 since even with gas up you aren't going to give us a 2k deposit on the F150 you ordered in January.

I can't imagine they won't feel some extreme pain from the double whammy of rising interest rates and rising fuel costs pushing people away from their most profitable vehicles. They really aren't super well positioned in the EV space either.

pretty sure its 100 deposit?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>

The plebes and their interest rates will not interfere with the march of inflation! Piles of cash ahoy.

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
I think my color is broken on my phone. Stuff shows green right now.

• 1Mother of God

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
10:12 [TSLA] PlainSite legal blog makes renewed allegations of fraud against Telsa

- Tweets: "We obtained internal $TSLA documents from a number of whistleblowers that prove that Tesla and Elon Musk have been defrauding investors for years in a variety of different ways. But the most important is that Tesla has been lying about how many cars it sells...The word "deliveries" is a nonsense word. A lie. It has no consistent meaning within Tesla. Different systems at different times have defined the term differently. There are a lot of different systems at Tesla, and the definition has gone through material changes over time."
Libs are pulling out every single stop they can to go after Musk at this point.