Investing General Discussion

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Typing from phone so I will be brief, but knowing when to execute is key also.
I do work for a lot of startups and options are a heavy piece of my pay as well. As said above risk is the startup fails to shit and my options are worth 0$.

Think of this like owning stock in a company that claims bankruptcy or ceases to exist

however you typically can execute once they are “vested”. Basically means buy the shares the options represent. I recommend the options thread for details on all of this stuff. There are many potential reasons to do or not do this.

I’m simplifying it but some scenarios and facts:

you pay taxes on the existing gain or loss at the time of the execution. If the options strike price is 5.00 and the current valuation is 5.00 and you choose to execute(buy shit). You have to pay the strike price AND the taxes, but in this case the taxes would be 0.00 because the stock is worth exactly what you paid for it. If the company is worth 10.00 a share you will only pay 5.00 per share to execute the options, but then taxes on the 5.00 gain you just made. This has always felt strange to me because it’s almost like a tax on unrealized gains, but not quite.

without getting into details, the reason you would do this is so you own the shares long enough that it’s consider long term and not short term capital gains, also because there is sometimes fine print that such an agreement could expire or if you left the company you forfeit any unexecuted options. Read the fine print.

with my situation I tend to execute as soon as possible if I believe in the startup to avoid high taxes and hang during the growth. But I’ve helped startups which have died and I’m glad I didn’t execute or that money would be gone forever /sad panda.

anyway there are fantastic resources online and of course you can consult a lawyer or financial consultant as well. But generally speaking with a non shit companyor it could rival 401k levels of yield. All depends.

with spacex/Elon, good chance it’s worth it as he seems to shit success.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
random noob blogging,

Since I mentioned buying bullish ETFs previously I feel compelled to note that I sold all of these positions over the past week, the last of them at close of day Friday. SOXL,SPXL,TQQQ,TLT. Like an exp grind, got some decent gains from these but nothing too exciting.

Started easing my way back into inverses again, that was a fast run up and I'm betting on a drop in the near future. Bought some SPXU/FAZ/TECS on Friday, will consider more next week depending how things go.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I am not going to go SQQQ again while BTC and especially ETH are rallying.

I am using afterhours ETH trading as an imperfect barometer for sentiment on risky tech ventures. It's nowhere close to 1:1 but when you see money pouring into ETH, it means tech investors have their wallets open.

• 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
its fair, there is some risk I'm early. But I told myself if SPY hit 390 by end of day thats what I'd do, so I stuck to it. My thinking is that a pullback from the rapid rise over the last week could line up with some selling around the Fed meeting, and make a nice big dip. We'll see. I could be hilariously wrong.

the way things have been going lately it could be either + or - 5% monday and nobodyd really bat an eye

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Full disclosure: I have absolutely zero idea what the market will do on Monday or next week in general. At this point I take each day as it (and the tweets) come.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Bought some 390 spy puts for monday...money wasted? Probably.
I think the only time I have bought puts has been when part of an option straddle. It just feels counter-intuitive to bet the market will go down when I have some much money invested long. If I am making that bet then I tend to go long the SQQQ instead of buying puts.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Bought some 390 spy puts for monday...money wasted? Probably.
I envy the guts of people playing options like this. I'm often confident it will go up or down and doing OK with these bets in the short term. But I'm very rarely confident - or correct - about exactly when. Monday? Wednesday? The following week? I dunno. Hope youre right!

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I envy the guts of people playing options like this. I'm often confident it will go up or down and doing OK with these bets in the short term. But I'm very rarely confident - or correct - about exactly when. Monday? Wednesday? The following week? I dunno. Hope youre right!
First rule of forecasting: Give them a number or a date, but never both.

• 1Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I predict there will be zero stock market movement on the 5th of november. Now you've got a date and a number

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Futures down slightly, dollar up slightly, crypto down slightly.

I expect Monday to be a "no news is good news" day but the rest of the week is anyone's guess.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Do a backflip!
star fox GIF

• 1Worf