Investing General Discussion

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Screenshotted>
ARM is where it's at. Lots of talk about apple switching to in house ARM based cpus. Even Amazon started offering ARM ec2 instances like 2 years ago. ARM holdings hasn't returned to market yet tho but there are public companies that make arm based cpus like Qualcomm, Samsung, Nvidia etc.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
I know absolutely nothing but I've been profitable buying/selling these XOM waves.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
That's how I feel about my pile of FENY. I wanted to dump some yesterday when it finally got back to $10 but couldn't since it was still red.
Yeah, some shit I don't see a hope for (talking to you M) and I cut bait, but energy will make some come back once the glut is burned. Being a commodity, we (the oil folks) have the ability to actually control the global supply. I figure by the end of the year energy should be seeing the light of day.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So as of today, we're only about $35k down from our month to month peak. Although probably 45-50k down from the mid-February high.

All things considered, that's not too bad. That's also assuming we don't plunge back down though.

Honestly kind of disappointed because we didn't get that much "on sale" buying done. It bounced back way too fast.

• 1Like

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
ARM is where it's at. Lots of talk about apple switching to in house ARM based cpus. Even Amazon started offering ARM ec2 instances like 2 years ago. ARM holdings hasn't returned to market yet tho but there are public companies that make arm based cpus like Qualcomm, Samsung, Nvidia etc.

Even AMD is kinda-sorta getting their feet wet in the ARM market. They're working with Samsung on adding their GPU to Exynos now.

And yeah, ARM in Apple is moreorless confirmed for 2021. The rumor is a 12-core chip. And from a raw performance perspective, it'll be great; the A13 (iPhone 12 SoC) is already getting a Geekbench score of 1324 for single core...which is higher than a Ryzen 3800X. Lightning is a beastly core; all they need to do is clock it higher, and it'll smoke pretty much everything. The only concern is compatibility with legacy x86 apps.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
The only concern is compatibility with legacy x86 apps.

So the only concern is what largely helped bring Macs back as a serious option when Apple switched from Power PC 15 years ago will be gone... its a very different world now, but how many Mac users out there still lean heavily on the x86 compatibility to be able to boot Windows when needed and such?

Granted, even Microsoft is still dabbling in Windows on ARM, and as yet hasn't seen much success with it, but I"m not sure how much more successful Apple is going to be. Cause they are not going to make a straight Intel -> ARM transition. The Intel Macs are still going to be designed and offered in parallel for some time, and Apple may never be able to switch away entirely. It'll be a confusing transition for unsavy consumers, while the savy ones probably opt to stick with Intel Macs for quite some time. Will be interesting to follow.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
You tell me.
INTC 2019 sales - 72 billion; EBITDA - 33 billion
AMD 2019 sales - 6.7 billion; EBITDA - 847 million

I kinda touched on this earlier. AMD is fairly overpriced compared to its paper value currently. That said, I think this overvaluation is fairly reasonable, and AMD will grow to fit its price.

But when growth is already highly priced in, I personally wouldn't invest heavily in that stock. Intel has more outlook in that regard, and they'll probably eventually take their head out of their ass.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
I kinda touched on this earlier. AMD is fairly overpriced compared to its paper value currently. That said, I think this overvaluation is fairly reasonable, and AMD will grow to fit its price.

But when growth is already highly priced in, I personally wouldn't invest heavily in that stock. Intel has more outlook in that regard, and they'll probably eventually take their head out of their ass.
I'm not anti-growth, but when there is a bigger stronger player in the same space, I need to ask how the smaller company is going to grab market share, do some while being profitable and also overcome the massive disadvantage in size and scale their opponent has. Its like UBER. Will I use their product? All the time. While I invest in a company that probably won't be profitable in my lifetime? Newp. Not saying AMD isn't profitable, but its profit is measured in cents not dollars.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>

Even buffett lost a truckload of money. Not too terrible though.

I think a lot of investors are going to look at his pile of cash and think twice about why he's decided he needs even more. That's definitely not a signal of faith in a near term recovery.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
There anything that could make homes / land worth more dollars?

Inflation mostly? Because I'm thinking housing dollar cost will start dropped in the next 3-5 months, and prolly be worth expecting etc.

So wondering what would mean I am wrong.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
There anything that could make homes / land worth more dollars?

Inflation mostly? Because I'm thinking housing dollar cost will start dropped in the next 3-5 months, and prolly be worth expecting etc.

So wondering what would mean I am wrong.
Time.

Seriously though we should see some real value in real-estate around the end of the year is my guess. I'm already beginning my research and gathering data.